1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Suggested gear indicator

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Paulski, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

yes and no,

I wonder if there could be a way to compute suggested speed based on your car performance/tires and radius of the corner?

of course, if it would be done in some sort of database, then you have to store that database - which would be the main problem
    to create the data, you could simply use average gear used in particular corner

that is true however

2. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng Gamer

Yeah, then they might have to take into account additional factors such as camber and width of the track in the corners (some corner have less room and require different driving lines)

I could be over analyzing it but it just sounds like a very difficult thing to implement.

3. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

I agree,
    easier to get the data from users, but then you have to store it, and that's problem when community can add more cars and tracks

so probably aint' gonna happen :)

4. Pbure

Pbure Gamer

Would agree this would be a nice addition, as long as it is optional so the hardcore simmers can do without. Maybe only allow it on the lower difficulty settings

The problem is that it is very hard to get into the game when you can't casually drive around the circuit without knowing the track. You'll either be very very slow or be off the track constantly. I have had many friends over to drive in my setup (different games). Usually they like the experience, but since they have no idea about the tracks and when to brake they are constantly off the track. Their experience would be much better if they had some guidance in that aspect.

Patrik Marek likes this.
  5. Shinjikum

Shinjikum Rookie

This aid is nothing new. The first game where I saw it was Formula One Grand Prix from Geoff Crammond, 21 years ago. And it was a very good aid, because it helps to learn the track faster. I used it a lot. Then, when I finally got to memorize the circuit I just disabled it.

So, it would be nice for me to have it!

6. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

there is a suggested gear indicator. It's your brain. You have to judge speed and gear by practicing. there is no substitute. Otherwise go watch some Youtube vids and see what others are doing

7. Shinjikum

Shinjikum Rookie

This isn't about going anywhere. It's just a forum with suggestions. If you're not interested in it, just ignore it. To me, and some others could be helpful. If developers think it's worthless they could take it into account. Nothing else.

And it doesn't substitute practicing, it's just a help for the firsts laps. And it could give you an idea if you're doing it right or you can improve.

And have some videos inside the game with bests laps to watch before taking a lap it could be a great help too! In F1 2013 for each track they show you a video with an explanation as a guidance.

8. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng Gamer

Shinjikum, it works for F1 2013 because they have large dev team, with unlimited funds, with a limited a amount of tracks (due be to being a closed game) and having just 1 type of car to judge breaking points with.

Trying to implement something like this for every car (that is and every car that ever will be), and every corner (that is and every corner that ever will be), going forward, would be far too much of an undertaking for such a small team.

If the game were limited to just 10 cars and 10 tracks, I could see them being ok with it. However, it's just too much of an undertaking and we would much rather see the time and resources spent elsewhere.

9. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

yes, but if it gets read from stored database of lap times, it doesn't really create huge amount of extra time by having devs figuring this out for every possible car there ever be.
    It would be very inaccurate for first couple of laps , however after some time it will average out

this is still just to suggest, doesn't' serve as skipping practise and learning the track/car

10. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng Gamer

Yeah, as someone who works with SQL databases on the occasion, the database route would be really difficult to implement (especially for custom tracks) and very much bandwidth consuming.

Also, as someone who attends track events in real-life, learning a new track requires patience and taking things easy for the first few laps. There is no instructor and no guide to tell you where you should be. After completing a few laps and finding the driving line, you can then start to speed things up and learn your gearshift cycle. I can generally shave off around 10-20seconds from my first lap to a few hours of practice depending on the course.

I like it's current implementation, it's much more realistic in that sense.

11. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

there is in US ;)

still can't see harm of doing it, especially if they figure out simple way that could work 80% of the time
    let's leave it to devs then I say

12. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng Gamer

I'm in the US :p

Southern California.

13. They really don't work.
    You will learn the tracks and corners a lot faster than you think. The best way is to then ask, either in an online session, or here "what gear do you use for that corner?".

Sometimes it is faster to bang the limiter for a bit instead of shifting up, and then having to shift right back down again. Or bog for a certain section for similar reasons.

EVERY TIME YOU SHIFT IT COSTS TIME. Not yelling, just quoting a "go fast" rule. Gear selection is of utmost importance and will not be the same for every line. Hot lappers have 1 line, the optimum line. Racers have thousands of lines on the same track.