1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

[SUGGESTION] "REALISTIC" Virtual rear view mirror

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by XzzDSA, Mar 25, 2014.

1. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

Heyo fellow racers o/

So instead of having the classic square virtual mirror with a clean but distorted rear view, why not actually simulate the rear view mirror?..

Having to look out through the back of the car, through windscreen, spoiler and what not is a whole other experience and I find much more immersive than just this regular, bizarre and distorted square mirror.
    Which may I add, we've all had since before the dinosaurs :p

Thoughts?

GL Racing o/

Flinty72, Backmarker, CDMC and 5 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions [Suggestion] additional eye tracking hardware. Apr 27, 2023
    ACC User Interface [Suggestion] allow mapping "View Left/Right" to an axis Feb 19, 2022
    ACC User Interface [SUGGESTION] Helmet cam adjustments Jul 24, 2021
    ACC User Interface [SUGGESTION] HUD Improvement - split HUD element Jun 20, 2021
    ACC Gameplay [SUGGESTION] able to run and save multiple championships Dec 19, 2020
    ACC Gameplay [Suggestion] Randomization of AI grid Nov 26, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer [SUGGESTION] Reconnection to the server Nov 1, 2020
    ACC User Interface [SUGGESTION] Effect/meaning of settings on setup screens Oct 14, 2020
    ACC User Interface [Suggestion] Apply current pressures from tire menu to Pitstop and global press. up and down button Sep 17, 2020
    ACC User Interface [SUGGESTION] In Game Chat Option Enable/Disable for Leagues Sep 6, 2020
    ACC User Interface [Suggestion] Fuel Widget Sep 1, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions [suggestion] Title from preset in textbox Jul 6, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer [Suggestion] Server Browser & Advanced Filter Improvements May 18, 2020
    ACC General Discussions [SUGGESTION] For the user's forum Mar 25, 2019
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards [SUGGESTION] - MP Timings, Leaderboard, Ghosts.. Mar 7, 2019

3. AugGust

AugGust Racer

I realllly want this and suggested this before too. I want the mirrors we get in iRacing. But people say that it would be a waste of processing power. But why only new simulators can't do this? Hasn't iRacing shown that it is possible to have proper mirrors, good graphics (at that time) and many cars on track at the same time? Why does newer sims/games such as Assetto Corsa, Forza 5 and Project Cars fail to do this?

And another point, the other day I had a spin out on a tight bit of track (Joux Plane), so I had to do a three-point turn. I tried relying off the rear view mirror to reverse and the next thing I know I reversed into a wall because I could not see the body of the car and it was much closer than it looked.

It would be really awkward to look at the mirrors through the Oculus Rift and not see the body of the car. Anybody that has driven a real car before will tell you that something is reallly wrong and not know what. So Kunos if you're seeing this, please consider making an option for people with more powerful computers to be able to see the body of the car through the 3 mirrors, would really help with immersion in the Oculus Rift. Thanks!!

4. Fanfanus

Fanfanus Rookie

I agree!

5. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

It shouldn't be a problem with any processing.. It is already being rendered in game in the interior rear view mirror.. But that mirror is not practical to use with an FOV of 35... It shouldn't be difficult to implement, just move that rendered image to the virtual mirror and bam :) That's my understanding at least :p

6. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

Actually, just realised that it is NOT rendered in assetto corsa :/ Was thinking of iRacing who does it. Now I just want it even more, give a much better perspective.. Could also open up to opportunity to be the first who does realistic side mirrors :p

7. AugGust

AugGust Racer

Well iRacing is first... Then Euro Truck simulator 2. No idea why the newer sims don't do this and I'm really puzzled about it :/ Really surprised Forza 5 did not do it with the powerful new Xbox One (Sarcasm Sign here)

8. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Part of it is that each realistic mirror takes as much GPU time as the full screen on similar settings - so it cuts back on resources that could be spent elsewhere. And if you're playing on a single highfov screen, the mirrors are tiny anyway. If you're playing on a single realistic fov screen, you can't even see the mirrors. Disabling the player car being visible in mirrors improves fps, not having reflections/blur/etc. helps fps, and so on.

Actually if you want to see the difference, you can compare FPS on 3 cubemap faces per frame vs. 1 face per frame. Going from 1 to 3 mirrors is about the same thing.

irfan.pratama likes this.
  9. LeonSuetfeld

LeonSuetfeld Alien

I'd like to jam in on this, it's really hard to tell where exactly the opponents are relative to you if you don't see part of your own car in the mirror. If it's not an extreme inconvenience to put this into the game, please do so. There are probably enough people out there who have strong enough hardware to run this. And even those who dont might wanna at least have it as an option, even if it means making cuts elsewhere in the video settings.

Also, PLEASE include something like the "car on your left. - still there. - keep to the right. - clear." commands for AI and MP races. BMW even has that in their street cars now (ok, it's red dots popping up in the side mirrors but still).

10. I've actually had to resort to the look left/right buttons since my FOV doesn't let me see the mirrors. But on topic, yeah, it would be nice, but it's definitely not necessary... ;)

11. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

This is why I wonna see this functionallity in the virtual mirror :) Then the FOV will no longer matter.. The mirrors of the interior has always been for people with ultra wide-screen setups anyways or people with +27" screens :) :)

12. The virtual mirror completely ruins the immersion for me....

Shaddix likes this.
  13. CDMC

CDMC Gamer

then make an option. i want mirrors view like i get in real cars. its a simulator for crying out loud. i hate that unrealistic mirrors where all you see is plane clean view. i hope Kunos will include this, at least as an option for hard core sim racers

14. AugGust

AugGust Racer

Not just for hard core sim racers. It's a must for the VR users as well

CDMC likes this.
  15. CDMC

CDMC Gamer

exactly!

16. Backmarker

Backmarker Racer

I would love any improvement to the Rear-view virtual mirror - especially an improvement to remove the distortion effect! I like iRAcings virtual mirror in that it also allows the user to set the mirror FOV. Maybe we can have that, too?
    :)

Flinty72 likes this.
  17. zoKotel

zoKotel Rookie

Surely it just needs to be reflections? if you're in the Lotus 98t in oculus and look down at your belt buckle and move left to right the reflections work perfect just as with looking at the wing mirrors in 3rd person view it has the correct parralax so in cockpit view changing the mirrors to reflections rather than "cameras" should fix it? Then with track ir, oculus ar anything that involves head movement should feel more realistic/immersive.

Now to think about that begs the question; If that already works on 3rd person view is there a setting in a config file to enable it in cockpit view?

18. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I'm pretty sure no cars are drawn in the reflections (it's already hard enough on the GPU, don't need to add more work), so the mirrors won't be very useful if they just use reflections.

19. LeonSuetfeld

LeonSuetfeld Alien

But then again, why not at least add it as an option? If you have enough fps headroom, why not use that for a better mirror view?

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  20. zoKotel

zoKotel Rookie

Fair point an option for the HC people would be good.

21. Backmarker

Backmarker Racer

the rFactor2 3-mirror setup is very nice for those of us running one monitor and no headtracking to provide a wider FOV.
    [​IMG]