1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

This is the future of Graphics Rendering for Gaming....IT EXCITES ME TO SAY THE LEAST

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Colt Rogers, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Colt Rogers

Colt Rogers Simracer

Just ran across these absolutely amazing video clips and wanted to share. It is a company called OTOY and they have apparently been working on this for quite some time. This rendering software is being used in the new Star Trek movie but is said to be the future of gaming visuals and the company OTOY have close partnerships with NVIDIA. Other than the reflective windows my eyes are having a hard time deciphering real from virtual.
    Check it out and let me know what you guys think...

*** For some reason this embedded link to youtube isn't playing at full quality, watch on YOUTUBE for the HD quality...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Future graphics updates and FOV and telemetry Mar 11, 2021
    ACC Physics ACC inconsistensies should be addressed for the future of the game. (Ex: Braking mechanics & tracks) Apr 3, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions What does the Future look like ? Nov 25, 2021
    ACC General Discussions CP Races - any change in the upcoming future? Aug 27, 2021
    ACC General Discussions What's the Status on ACC and future Projects? very quiet in here. Jan 24, 2021
    Screens & Videos Back to the future Delorean – Time travel Jan 17, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Any Information about future content? Aug 28, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Multiplayer Future Plans Jul 22, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Future of ACC. Not a wishlist. Feb 16, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Future of Mass Consumer Wheels Aug 18, 2019
    ACC Physics Future physics features Aug 14, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Will ACC be moddable in the future? Jul 12, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer Rating/Backend/CP Server changes in advance to future updates Jun 24, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Minor things that might be improved in the future Jun 15, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals [T300] Steering lock issue and future upgrade. Jun 4, 2019

3. winet

winet Gamer

looks amazing

Colt Rogers likes this.
  4. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

If that's realtime, then I'll be impressed.

5. Colt Rogers

Colt Rogers Simracer

It is real time which is nuts. I can only hope that the KUNOS team are preparing AC2 using this software...

6. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Yeah, those are pretty nice looking renders. The blur looks nice, they just overdid the DOF a bit (makes the truck look like a miniature)

Hopefully some sims can get better lighting in that vein not too far in the future.

7. Ghanja

Ghanja Racer

They are asking $199 for the renderer which is more than fair regarding the features the products has.

8. plucka

plucka Racer

Dream on, rendering something on a $100K graphics workstation and getting the same thing to run on your average PC or console are two different things.

Queequeg and Lazybug like this.
  9. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

In the 2nd video description :
    ## Rendered at 1280x720 resolution
    Hardware used: 1x GTX Titan GPU
    Average frame render time of only 50 sec!
    Total render time: about 11 hours ##

Is that mean this 50s video actually take 11 hours for GTX Titan GPU to process ?? If yes then nothing really surprising, at least to me.

By the way there already so many fake sci-fi movie that look so real in the market mean this type of technology is already exist, i believe the question is that when will be the time this type of technology become cheap enough for regular user to enjoy it :rolleyes:

10. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

Octane and new Star Trek? .. weird that I didn't hear about it :) .. maybe for some testing but for production? oh I don't think so :)

btw. I really really don't think that this is real time, it does look pre-rendered, and you can get better details then this
    but yeah, looks quite nice and I'm sure that eventually games will be able to look like this

11. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

Those are fast render times for that quality 3D image and GPU but it's unlikely to be fast enough for gaming any time soon. When I was doing this kind of stuff a couple of years ago render time would be approx 5 to 10 minutes a frame (full HD), but I had a render farm of 11 PCs which cuts the total render time of the movie and the big studios have many more machines, sometimes 100+.

I guess you've not noticed that a lot of car adverts on TV feature a CGI car? It gives you total control over the colour and spec of the car, the reflections and the lighting. It can then be composited onto almost any background anywhere in the world, works out cheaper than hiring (and feeding) special crews and cameras for action work, pursuit cars, closing sections of road and getting filming permits, logistics, health and safety etc. and then finding the client doesn't like it and wants "exactly the same advert but with a red car please, and no, there is no extra fee for redoing it all" ;)

12. Mogster

Mogster Alien

It's not so much the cost but when this sort of gfx quality will be available real time.

Being a flightsim and WW2 fan this gets my juices flowing. It's a couple of years old but, even so.....

Lazybug likes this.
  13. speedbee

speedbee Hardcore Simmer

This ISN'T the future for gaming. This is IMAX movie grade ray-tracing CGI rendering. It is nothing new. It's just CGI, and that has been going on for ages.
    It *would* be the future if they were doing this in real time. But the thing is, that if you wanted *this* engine to play games in real time you'd need a whole supercomputer. And even in 20 years the PC wont be near as powerful as required for real time ray tracing in this, and other similar engines.

The moment someone comes along and showcases real time ray tracing on current, or at least next gen rigs, that will be the future of gaming. And since there really isn't any shortcuts in raytracing, but mostly brute force I don't see that happening any time soon. But this? This is just for the movies.

14. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

Consider we have game graphic like this in 20 years ago (Not sure what game is this) :--
    [​IMG]
    And we have game graphic like this after 20 years (Pcars screenshot) :-
    [​IMG]

So i believe another 20 years more we will have graphic which show by this company OTOY, or even x2 x3 better :cool:

Griffin and Colt Rogers like this.
  15. Mogster

Mogster Alien

It's amazing how your expectations change. 10 years ago graphics like the top pic were amazing and state of the art. Now there's a move towards photo realism.

Will PCars and AC look as dated as that top pic in 10 years? You'd think not but it's possible?

Colt Rogers likes this.
  16. sketchyterry

sketchyterry Simracer

Holy amaze balls! Imagine graphics like that with Oculus Rift (or whatever we have in 10 years) in like 8k!

Colt Rogers and Festa_PWR like this.
  17. denizen

denizen Racer

And with one post, speedbee crushed the dreams of many ignorant gamers, including myself :'(

Colt Rogers likes this.
  18. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

I suppose this is for me. I not saying technology like this will only exist 20 years later but i saying it might take 20 years to become cheap enough for just anyone to enjoy it.

19. GTHQ_koop

GTHQ_koop Hardcore Simmer

Whehe, lol :D

20. sketchyterry

sketchyterry Simracer

Who knows what graphics (and many other things) will look like in 20 years and even less so than 30 or 40 years etc. The first console was released 42 years ago and the first programmable computer existed only just over 70 years ago so who knows where will be with technology moving faster than it ever has.

We can always hope for XYZ but it would be unwise to say when or if XYZ will happen or not. So at the moment I live in the hope of graphics like that!

Colt Rogers likes this.
  21. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Mostly I expect the yellow sunlight to date them, I think that's a current 'hdr' trend that'll improve in photorealistic games in the future. It's like everyone's got their lighting tuned permanently to an hour before sunset. (not just in racing sims but in lots of FPS too) The shadowmaps being just on the bare edge of usability is another one; we may not pay much attention since it's better than old games (which had a black square on the ground representing a shadow) but they're really not great.

I don't know much about PCars so I won't comment on that; but AC's ambient lighting is also an area that can be improved with just a little more GPU grunt. There's realtime AO that can easily be adapted to realtime global illumination - it's just not good enough quality to run in an AAA game yet.

We can also improve reflections without going full on raytracing; I experimented with techniques in another game for culling unreal areas like the ones where the reflection obviously passes through the car itself. Just takes another normal map with certain properties, which I don't have the tools to render out. That alone makes certain trim pieces, for ex. the wheels, look nice with way more realistic reflection settings (whereas now you have to do it by reducing the reflectiveness of the material, which is not good conservation of energy)

The specular spot, which is not my friend, is going to be a thing of the past as soon as cubemaps can be blurred on the fly for more negligible gpu time; one way to do it is to reduce to mipmaps, but it tends to create pixely spots.

Motion blur is still in infant stages; I expect that to get a lot more like the video of the truck with time and techniques. Also from that video, being able to push more transparent polies for grass is gonna help the scenery pop out, have depth instead of being flat. That one's gonna be important for VR, since billboards (as used in trees, clouds, smoke in AC) for the most part look like crap, so I would expect new techniques to appear in that field also. Maybe it's as simple as having a separate texture map for left and right eyes and keeping them rotated the right way, maybe it's more than that. We will see.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Colt Rogers likes this.