1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Timed races and rolling starts

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by alienillusions, Feb 1, 2015.

1. With the game been focused on GT racing, it would be good to get some reflection from real life GT events/racing in the game, and general real racing from what I've experienced.

Timed and distance based races - alot of GT races, in fact all of them that I can think of, plus many national UK series base the races on length of time in minutes, rather than laps. For instance, 60 minutes plus a lap for the standard British GT race. From what I've seen, time based races are actually the norm compared to laps. It's probably because of televised series such as F1, BTCC, V8 Supercars which have races based on laps which implies this is most popular - but it's only laps because it's worked on distance covered in the race. It would be nice to have another option to set (in km) the distance a race can be.

Rolling starts. Again, alot of (if not all) GT races have rolling starts. Whilst this is possible in multiplayer by using lap 1 as the warm up lap, it would be good to have this option against the AI, like in rFactor 2 which has a few options for rolling starts. Keep the standing starts of course as single seaters use them, but all GT's tend to have rolling starts.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Question regarding the end of Timed Races Jun 14, 2017
    Chit Chat Room TIMED RACES OMG FINALLY Feb 16, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Timed Races rather than laps? Aug 2, 2016
    ACC Troubleshooting LogD3D11RHI: Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up. Jun 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up. Jan 20, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting UE-AC2 Fatal Error Crash [GPU timed out and hung] Dec 13, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up. Jul 5, 2020
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Unable to do last lap in timed race after pit stop with leader finishing few seconds behind Mar 31, 2017
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues API/Shared Memory : Pit window timed race Mar 23, 2017
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Timed race - Wrong results with log parser Feb 23, 2017
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Shared mem - how do we tell that a timed race is over? Feb 16, 2017
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Timed Race Question Feb 14, 2017
    Console Lounge Im stuck on Intimediate Series 2 AMG series Aug 31, 2016
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues "requesting car list timed out" Jul 31, 2016
    General modding discussion Career - timed race? Apr 8, 2016

3. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

I like this. This isn't just a atmospherical thing, it had influence on the gearbox setups used.
    All my GT-Car setups have a "-shortFirst" variant, so I don't lose 10 positions due to the standing start, and create a mess because 5 people have to change lanes to overtake my while starting.
    Downside: a secured spin if I accidentially downshift to the first gear whilst braking, which might influence the others' experience. Of course I'm used to take the slowest corners in first gear while Q, so this actually happens :(

4. SvenUilhoorn

SvenUilhoorn Racer

If there is a "won't happen", why will it not happen? You could finally put cars with different drivetrains on the grid and be (mostly) done with starting advantages. For those who don't know, there's a myriad of real racing series using rolling starts as well..

5. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

From what I gathered from Stefano's streams, AI limitations, mostly. AI would have trouble calculating their fuel load for timed races, and with rolling starts come a lot of rules and possible player and AI behavior that would need to be accounted for. The AC engine was not written with those things in mind, so there would be a very high work load to properly implement that.

SvenUilhoorn likes this.
  6. Arbuzzz

Arbuzzz Hardcore Simmer

AI not smart enough in AC, its why the game doesnt have many features... sadly :( Would be nice if Kunos would split offline and online like most of games have. In some games offline and online completely different... AI limits Kunos to add more features to MP. Its already different, some offline features are not in MP and opposite, may be they dont want to make them completely different in features term, but I wouldn't care.

SvenUilhoorn and WallyM like this.
  7. SvenUilhoorn

SvenUilhoorn Racer

How about a speed limit on the first lap then? That seems the same as a pit lane speed limiter, and would automatically release everyone when they pass the start?

8. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

So then it would start you 'automatically' when the lights go green and you may have little control over how much throttle you're giving when it releases. Also everyone starts at the same time, taking away the thrill of the start and eliminates reaction time as a factor, and the AI would still need a new routine to know they're not in racey fightey mode and new AI lines for the pace lap. And tell me, would you like a pace lap without a pace car? I know I wouldn't.

Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to have this in AC, I just don't see it happening before a possible AC2.

9. SvenUilhoorn

SvenUilhoorn Racer

Huh? A speed limit would act the same as in the pits now, throttle control doesn't seem to be an issue for that?

Eliminating reaction time is indeed what I'm after for race starts, so I (and many league admins with me) don't have to watch replays to check if someone went 101 km/h instead of 100. Like weight ballast, this "1 lap speed limiter" wouldn't necessarily have to be for offline as well.. Again, it's pretty much the same as the pit lane speed limiter.