1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Tires in AC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Bob Peirce, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I've thought about this for a long tine but never asked. What the heck is a semi-slick?

I'm familiar with slicks, DOT 100s and 200 and up street tires but I have no idea how semi-slicks fit into that.

I'm mostly curious because I drive a Porsche 981 GT4 in AC and the only option in is semi-slick but my actual 718 GT4 came with Dunlop Sports Max Race 2 [80TW but not a DOT] and the other standard option is Michelin Cup2 [180TW]. I actually use Goodyear SC3 [220TW].

In AC I use a Green track grip which seems to get me pretty close but not exact. Overall AC is a bit faster but I know from actual on track experience that I have more grip in certain places than I get in AC. Fast might get the grip closer but it would result in unrealistic lap tines. Optimum is just insane. It is all a bit confusing. I live with it but I'd like to know what I can do to be closer.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Dry tires in wet conditions Jun 3, 2023
    ACC Gameplay AI start wet races on dry tires then pit after 1st lap Apr 28, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Bug Tires Oct 11, 2022
    ACC Tools Is there a sim dashboard to display tires temperatures? Apr 27, 2022
    ACC Gameplay [1.8.11] Starting on wet tires causes tire change to be unchecked by default in pit menu Mar 11, 2022
    Chit Chat Room URD AMR BOP and Wet Tires Feb 16, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals SF 1000 display tires do not go below 75% Dec 17, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting tires info disappears between sessions Nov 14, 2021
    ACC Gameplay front tires keep blowing up even at 1 mph [DON'T TURN ABS OFF KIDS] Jun 1, 2021
    ACC Physics tires May 25, 2021
    ACC Physics 1.6.3 - 2018 porsche on 2020 track: wet tires pick up too much heat from brakes Dec 2, 2020
    ACC Physics The right way to setup your tires Sep 27, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Tires wear reset from race to race Sep 14, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars GT4 Tires still say "DHD2" Jul 21, 2020
    ACC Physics Pressure tires in the default setups Jul 19, 2020

3. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I compared longitudinal grip data between the sim and actual on-track and found the sim is anywhere between 0.15G and 0.3G higher. That's actually pretty significant, although weather could have something to do with it. Lateral Gs are also a bit higher but not quite as much, maybe 0.15G max. So semi-slick tires have a little more grip than 200TW tires using a Green track grip setting. Unfortunately, I still have no idea what that means in the context of my original question.

4. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

This is weird. Doesn't anybody know? I'm sort of thinking semi-slick might be a European thing but it ought to relate to something I can get here in the US.

5. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

6. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

That's definitely not a street tire. Those are nothing like a Goodyear SC3. They look pretty close to what I would call a 100TW tire. I wonder why AC only allows semi-slick for the GT4? I suspect most folks who take their car to the track on a casual basis probably run on the OEM tires, which for a GT4 would likely be a Michelin Cup2. That's around 200TW.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  7. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

Is there a file where tire grip levels are set? I'm not above fiddling with that to get what I want.

8. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I found a very old thread that suggests AC's semi-slick tire aims to represent a very high end street tire like a Cup2. One post mentioned that Cup2s were actually shown on an AC car using semi-slick. In spite of that I find the semi-slick tire on a Porsche GT4 running on a Green track generates a little more grip than the Goodyear SC3 on my actual car and Optimum is ridiculous.

Another post mentioned tires.ini for tire settings. I'll have to check that out when I get home. It may be possible to tweak the settings to get the tire closer to the GYSC3.

One problem with the Green track is in certain situations the semi-slick tire breaks loose a lot easier than the real tire. I have no idea why that should be. It may have something to do with the track setting itself. Maybe a tire with less grip on a Fast or Optimum track might work better.