1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Tyre wear vs driving style

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by RamiMattila, Dec 17, 2015.

1. RamiMattila

RamiMattila Rookie

First of all, this is not a rant or a complaint. Just a question. I have been enjoying AC for about 1000 hours so far :)

Now I have just been wondering about that tyre heating, wear and driving style affect on those. Which is non existent imo at the moment. On a 30 lap race(track dependant ofcourse), you can push like crazy for that entire race, and there is no affect on tyre wear (or heating). I was looking forward to this latest update, and hoping that there would be a model that would make you think how you can manage those 30 laps without wearing your tyres out, or simply overheating them and having to take it easy for a while to prevent that. That would be a great add to this game, would create different strategies for races etc. Yes they are now a bit easier to get into operational temperature, but overheating is still pretty much impossible anywhere under 26C anyway.

So now I would like to ask you devs, is this feature something you have been planning to implement, or is it there, but just so mild that it cannot be seen?

I have some real life racing experience too, and with what I have driven in real life, it is pretty easy to overheat your tyres even in low temperatures by sliding or understeering the car all the time. Or if not overheat, atleast you can wear them pretty quickly with sloppy driving.

Lastly, thank you Kunos for making this game, and making retirement from real racing much easier for me... :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm speaking of GT cars here...

mannitom77 and Ace Pumpkin like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay Tyre Wear Resets after speeding in pit Sep 13, 2022
    ACC Physics Setup has no impact on tyre wear?? Jan 19, 2022
    ACC General Discussions Races with tyre wear & fuel consumption multipliers? Jul 8, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Tyres wear not resetting v1.7.11 Jun 22, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Tyre Wear Data Feb 20, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Tyre - wearing more on outer side Dec 24, 2020
    ACC Physics race-ending tyre bug [wear-driven puncture ruining suspension geometry] Sep 2, 2020
    ACC Physics Wet tyre wear/consumption? Aug 16, 2020
    ACC Physics Tyre wear - final career race at Barcelona Apr 19, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Tyre wear and fuel consumption in multiplayer Jan 13, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Tyre wear/fuel consumption 200% Oct 20, 2019
    ACC User Interface [1.0.10] Tyre sets and wear resetting/pitstop planning Oct 1, 2019
    ACC Gameplay [1.0.5] Tyres changed at pits get no wear Jul 6, 2019
    ACC Physics Tyre Wear vs engine damage Jul 5, 2019
    ACC Gameplay [1.0.2 v2] Autosaving in champ loose wear of tyres sets Jun 8, 2019

3. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Hi there, more of a question for the physics forums, but yeah there is tyre heating both superficial and core, tyre wear, graining and blistering happening. Make sure you have tyre wear on and mechanical damage on as the latest enables blistering and graining too.

Tyres do get overheated on the surface and if you keep doing it, you'll eventually overheat cores too. Initial results are not drastic in terms of feel but your laptimes will suffer a bit. If you keep doing it you'll start to have serious grip problems. If this is not happening, double check your settings and please report if you still have problems as there might be a problem on your config or we might have a bug somewhere

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention the biggest issue is that we don't have a proper easy to read tyre heat app yet. We're working on it. You can check your tyre heat though by enabling dev apps and then open SUSPENSION and TELEMETRY with the CORE TEMPS template selected.

Dookie, rycil, grandepunto and 12 others like this.
  4. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

nice to see you posting on the forums :)
    kind of unrelated but:
    have you looked into road temp not affecting tyre temp or performance? im not sure if it ever worked or if it broke around v1.3, but id expect the whole model would come alive a bit more if tyres were influenced by a hot/cold road rather than just ambient temp (and of course if you do a long race or accelerate time progression, youd actually notice the track changing temperature over the course of the day (single player at least)
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/road-temperature.28251/
    same in mp or sp

5. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

is it just a problem with how certain tyre versions communicate with the app? I ask because with mini stats plus app some v6 tyre temps seem to behave normally (as shown in the app) but a lot of v5 tyres sit at 40-50-60c using same app

6. RamiMattila

RamiMattila Rookie

Thank you for quick answer, really appreciate it.
    Yes I do have tyre wear etc all on. Been doing most my online racing in RD club at the moment, so using those settings for testing/training also.

For you mentioning that laptimes will suffer a bit, was just the reason I wrote the question. That influence is way too small I think, I have rather soft driving style, but even with really pounding and skidding those tyres there really is next to no affect (well maybe few tenths). And the end result in tyre wear also is nowhere to be seen. This was just my opinion, and I have a strong feel I'm not alone with my opinion. Ofcourse if you start really drifting the car it maybe can be seen, but thats not the fastest way around a track :)

7. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

We should take the information from Aris to make some practice runs and document the results of grain, blister, temp with the telemetry app he mentioned.

8. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

You should test/confirm offline and alone before bringing an error report. Servers force-set damage, tyre wear + fuel consumption; so you can't be sure they had 100% on all of them.

LeDude83 likes this.
  9. Quffy

Quffy Alien

If you want to see the live values of tyre wear while driving, then use the tyre debug app. And maybe the other apps recommend by Aris in his post. For that, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg and open the file assetto_corsa.ini. Now change ENABLE_DEV_APPS=0 to 1. Then you can load the track and extra apps will appear.
    Also in the game assists, use Pro settings, just in case.

10. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Well, in RD , there is 0.95 grip which improves and also fuel consumption, making car lighter.
    As such maybe the loss of tyre grip is make you slower but at the same time , track grip + less weight makes you almost equally faster = almost identical times.

Do same test offline.

P.S. Also you are an alien (still remember how you performed with Ferrari GT2), so you can also twist game's laws...:)

RamiMattila likes this.
  11. Aristotelis

You remarks on that thread are not the kindest but still I'll try to reply.
    As far as I know, road temp totally affects tyre temp. Even time of the day affects road temp and subsequently tyre temp. For example, 20°C at 8:eek:o in the morning gives different road temps than 20°C at 13:00 (the later is hotter).
    What is not changing is the temp of the day/surface once you're in the game. Once the sim is loaded the temp remains constant.

But the key here is that the ambient temperature acts as a dissipator for tyre heat. If you do excessive tests like setting the air at 10°C and the asphalt at 90° you're not going to get a tyre that is overheating constantly. You'll get a tyre that gets overheated in the surface when touching or slipping and then cooled down very fast by the air.

Do the following test. Open your documents/assetto corsa/cfg/race.ini file and set the following:
    [TEMPERATURE]
    AMBIENT=10
    ROAD=110

now start the sim NOT by the UI, but by double clicking the acs.exe file in your root installation.
    Check that the ambient and asphalt temperatures are trully 10 and 110 or similar.
    Enter the car and DO NOT move, actually keep the brakes engaged so that the car doesn't drift the slightest.
    With SUSPENSION app open, you will notice that the surface temperatures will start rising from 10°C to something higher, not much as the app will measure the average temperature of all the tyres "touching sectors". You will notice though that a single sector (the one touching the asphalt) in the SUSPENSION app starts becoming red more and more. This is the interaction of the tyre with the asphalt. So it works.

With v1.3 as you probably know, we changed the tyre model and most importantly the heat modelling. For that version, the surface heating would be very variable, especially as it wasn't generated any rolling heating on the surface. With v1.4 the surface of the tyre also generates rolling heat and that makes the heating more stable on the surface. We're not done yet, we are working to make it better and we think as all sims out there, AC has its strength points and its weak points too. We do a step, competitors do another and we all move the genre forward. But from this to say that AC can barely be called a sim is really harsh to say the least and not constructive.

12. RamiMattila

RamiMattila Rookie

Nice to see a friendly face here :)

And you can believe I have done all the testing in the world for what I can think of(on and offline). And I know that with car getting lighter it becomes faster.
    My point kind of was that in real life you really have to manage those tyres, but in this sim at the moment you can pretty much go flat out all the time.
    It would be nice if you really had to worry about tyre wear and heating while in race, and adapt your speed according how long stint you're planning etc.
    At the moment you know pretty exactly how long your mediums will last, no matter how fast you drive them. Hope this clarified my thoughts a bit...

13. Aristotelis

I see your point, I'll be working on the v6 tyres during the holidays trying to fine tune them as much as possible and I'll try to address this too. Nevertheless, it is also true that the current GT cars and tyres can really go flat out during a whole 24 hours race. It amazes me how much they push the cars nowadays. Also remember the old F1 tyres before Pirelli was told to made them wear down, how much they could last. MotoGP tyres can also withstand big abuse and still give faster race laptimes at the last lap...
    But yeah, I'll be looking into this more, the fine tuning has not ended yet on the contrary. Mark my words though, look how people will complain once they will have to take care of the tyres :D :D :D but yeah irrelevant :)

jim jones, rycil, Dookie and 8 others like this.
  14. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Since you mentioned fine tuning in holidays, that means also that all cars will get the V6 tyre model? If yes is there any time schedule?

15. Aristotelis

That's my intention yes. We'll see how it goes. Can't give an exact time schedule as it could be easier or harder than I thought. To give you an idea, in those 3 months with the new tyre/heat model I had to redo the work of 2 years before AC release. It is going much better and faster than I thought... either I'm getting better (I doubt it LOL) or I'm getting lucky. We'll see :)

Ace Pumpkin, rycil, Dookie and 5 others like this.
  16. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Thanks!!! Καλή τύχη!!!

Aristotelis likes this.
  17. kevje

kevje Racer

I'm curious, when lowering the damage to say 75%, will this affect damage done to tyres? Wouldnt it be better if it was seperated?

I'm asking because small impacts made in door to door racing can often cause severe damage to a car, killing its downforce or anything else, so I prefer running a server with the damage done lowered slightly but I do not want to alter tyre wear at all...

LeDude83 likes this.
  18. RamiMattila

RamiMattila Rookie

Thank you Aristotelis... really much appreciated.

And I know those tyre's have gotten far in real life. And especially as old superbike driver, there was allready few years back differences between different brands of tyres how they responded to punishment :) There also were times when we had to choose softer compounds just because track was too hot, harder ones overheated beyond their operational temps :)

I also know you never can please all of the audience, and realise that changes to easier destruction of tyres really can get you some negative feedback....
    So makes me wonder if the're could be a option in game which would be sim mode? Which would implement more realistic overheating etc. Then it would serve enthusiasts as well as casual gamers...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  19. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Would be cool an alternative setting for car damage, which could either reduce or turn off the car body/mechanical damage, while keeping tyre wear and tyre damage on. For example a tick box that said, near the mechanical damage % slider, 'combine with tyre damage'; or a slider like there is for tyre wear, but also for tyre damage. This last option, the slider, would allow for more fine tuning.

20. mannitom77

mannitom77 Racer

I belive you when you say that those modern tyres will last incredibly well. But also I belive that you somehow need to watch those tyres. If you drive fast on the grip vs. fast sliding and throwing car all over the Place, then there must be a difference how long your tyres last. At the moment there's not or it's really minor difference.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Nahkamarakatti, kevje and RamiMattila like this.
  21. ouvert

ouvert Alien

@Aristotelis talking about tyres .. are there any plans to implement tyres for 72D .. either Firestones or older Goodyears? I understand the practical reasons for using 312T tyres and I`m respecting it. I`m asking just cause it causes BOP issues with these two cars .. as 72Ds suspension design and weight ballance shouldn`t be able to properly handle harder 312T Goodyear tyres (getting them up to good temps).
    That causing understeer would ballance the performance of those cars .. but makes 72D less enjoyable, or older softer Firestone/Goodyear tyres would slower 72D a bit while maintaining all the fun it provides.
    ... don`t forget to rest on holidays ... keep up with good work ;)

EDIT: could that be the reason for people having feeling that 72D is too good, too planted .. having more modern tyres while not having the negative affect of older suspension 72D had with them?