1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What is this obsession with super shiny cars rather than realism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by eobet, Dec 6, 2013.

1. eobet

eobet Simracer

I don't get it. Assetto Corsa looked perfectly realistic before, imo. A metal flake finish with depth. The cars looked like they had paint on them.

Now? Mirror surface. Bare polished chrome.

But Forza and Gran Turismo does this too. I guess people like it? It's bling?

To me, it feels like the developers caved to pressure from people saying it wasn't shiny enough. Well, congratulations for complaining guys. You made the game less realistic.

pigsy, endgame, xyr and 5 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting 1.9.4 locking up after race/superpole Jun 17, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Waiting for my Simjack Pro pedals, super hyped! Apr 25, 2023
    Bug reports Inside car super bright dashboard is eye killing Oct 4, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room ACC/PS5 Pirelli Porsche GT3 SuperCup presented by Snail. Friday's 9pm est monthly. Join us! Jul 13, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer SuperpoleMaxCar Apr 13, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is Porsche supercup available on Xbox version ? Mar 28, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room EGT Canada - Great racing and a superb community Feb 9, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Super slow in Formula Hybrid cars and setups don't do anything Feb 1, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Im super happy with VR (1.8.4) - So what am I doing different? Nov 28, 2021
    Online Leagues / Championships room Super Touring Championship / Sundays Nov 3, 2021
    Online Leagues / Championships room Super Touring OTCR Oct 16, 2021
    Online Leagues / Championships room OTCR Super Touring League Oct 16, 2021
    Online Leagues / Championships room AC AOR - SuperGT minileague Sep 2, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality is there a limit to supersampling in vr?!? Aug 29, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer Special Event #117 doesn't record time as hotlap superpole Jul 1, 2021

3. i don't like this "too shiny" look too... but if that's what people want.

4. Si3v

Si3v Graphic Lead Artist Staff Member KS Dev Team

And if one day they'd dirt progressively? and dirt obviously would affect reflection?
    sounds better? :)

5. Black75

Black75 Gamer

:eek: lol... and if one day on our chassis we will see appears some rust? :p
    (i'm joking... don't develope this)

6. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Way too much glare and bright reflections: my first impression, too. First view I had was in the new hangar, at the MP4. In that showroom the reflections are even worse than in the others, probably due to the huge contrasts between the dark hangar and the bright outside. It looked as if layers of white paper had been put onto the car where it was meant to reflect the bright (blendign white) sky. With and without HDR.

In the other showrooms and on track, it is not that bad, but still: it definitely is a step backwards, visually. Too much, too much, too much: way to much. Even edges stand out in bright white lines now.

I can only recommend: tone it down. If needed to choose, I would go for the old visual style. It was more realistic, and did not look that comic-like and artificial. Sorry, Kunos team: you took the wrong turn there.

7. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

I agree but realize that at this stage it's still likely sim calculated but appears unrealistically shiny due to the lack of contamination. Ever wax a car and view the paint from a near parallel angle..? Mirror finish comes to mind, the color all but disappears in favor of reflected light. These cars have zero dirt on them, imagine a vacuum sealed perfect finish, they need orange peel and imperfections at this point, dirt even, to recapture that real look. Turn10 went through these gyrations as well, and those cars are the prettiest of the bunch.

Chevalier D'Harmental likes this.
  8. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

I agree with op. Reflections were better before. In the hangar the reflections look particularly awful for some reason

9. i would have to see some screenshots of that before
    i give my opinion. :D

10. Very better!

11. Luca Orsetti

Luca Orsetti Racer

I agree too. Even in motor shows cars don't create such a mirror effect (apart from some specific paint), despite being well polished and full of lights around them :p.

Eduardo AuKiss likes this.
  12. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

First I'd like to turn down sun intensity by 50% for a soft shadow overcast sky, then we can really judge the reflections without the sun^10 highlighting everything to hell.

Backmarker likes this.
  13. Darren Blythe

Darren Blythe Hardcore Simmer

Hard to judge properly until we can test under different skies, lighting conditions, weather etc. but my gut instinct has to agree. Far too shiny, even allowing for dirt buildup.

14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Never saw metal polished that much that it would reflect so intensely. Not even unpainted polished aluminium in an airframe. The cars in parts look as if made of full glass, or polished crystal.

It makes me sad, because I thought that before the looks were almost unbelievably well. I saw zero need to make changes there.

Stepy likes this.
  15. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

I must agree with this.

16. Ezio

Ezio Rookie

I agree: too much brighting shader imo, I prefer the previous version.

Eduardo AuKiss likes this.
  17. krikke

krikke Gamer

When watching a replay, i got the idea that dirt was build up... :eek:

18. Steve Moore

Steve Moore Rookie

I just got this and thought I had my hardware out of wack....lol.

From a n00b just coming in it seems wayyy to "glary" , and too me the HDR is oversaturated no matter what I do. I love the game and graphics , but a few small things I noticed and thought IO was nuts...lol.

I look forward to what's to come. The cars feel awesome and planted, but not too much. It feels like a real car should drive to me.

19. The Moose

The Moose Hardcore Simmer

Reflective properties of the cars have crossed the line from looking fancy to tacky and overdone.

Eduardo AuKiss and Stepy like this.
  20. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Racer

looks pretty spot on to me... but I would love a feature where the cars dirty up as you race. That would be great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Sm1ggs

Sm1ggs Racer

A in game side shot same as the bottom pic for comparison would be better if you could, but looks ok to me although not tried new update yet

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013