1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PS4 Wish me Lights by Night and Rainwippers

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Dirk Popeye, Nov 18, 2016.

1. I repeat: it's a mod made by an amateur.
    You have simply answered repeating what I have said in a more precise way, that's all.

I know it isn't well made, I know. But it's still an interesting mod.
    THE POINT was to show that if a simple amateur can make these mods in few time, that means professional team (ex. the Kunos developers) could have way better results if they would work on night mode / rain mode with optimized graphics/physics. It's just a logical supposition.

2. Snowman38

Snowman38 Hardcore Simmer

FPS = Frames per second
    THE POINT = they would suffer

Pleite and UntrainedN00B01 like this.
  3. DatNoiseV12

DatNoiseV12 Simracer

Really interesting mod, thanks for sharing this video. I thought It was impossible due to the gfx engine restrictions, or at least that's what people say when others ask for night racing.

4. hahaha
    Project CARS, F1 2016, Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport... When I watch the videos on youtube of these games on rainy/night conditions, I don't see huge changes in terms of FPS. The decrease of FPS is unavoidable in any case in all racing games but it's negligible: the games are still playable. Moreover if you play on PC that decrease difference is even lower than console.

bradleyland likes this.
  5. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

Is it really fair to cast this speculation based on what AC currently is able to do, when we have examples of other games that are able to do it? For example, frame-rates are fine in ProjectCARS while running a night + rain race are fine on PS4. It's a bit worse than day + clear, but not as bad as AC has been.

Keep in mind that I'm referring to console, PS4 specifically. Things are a bit different over on the console side of things, because developers are working with very small set of hardware: two versions of PS4 and two versions of XB1.

6. bradleyland

You are not in a position to say that, unequivocally. It can be said that night + rain would require additional processing power, but whether or not a target FPS is achievable is a matter of programming talent. As Viperconcept has pointed out, there are other sim racing games released on console that achieve these effects at acceptable frame-rates.

We know that it is possible with console hardware, because we have seen it done elsewhere. We have also heard that the current AC engine does not support these features. This does not mean that it is not possible, it only means that it hasn't been built.

Following this through to its logical conclusion, it is merely a matter of priority. Kunos have limited resources (as does any company), and so they deploy them in a way that makes the best business sense and satisfies the most consumers. Right now, the big outcry is for custom/private lobbies, so that takes priority. It can also be agreed that adding support for night + rain is a massive effort, so it is best to remain realistic about the prospects of seeing these new features any time soon (i.e., we won't), but this does not mean the desire can be dismissed out-of-hand, simply because it is not immediately achievable.

7. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Can we please pull the freakin' plug on this? KS have stated ad infinitum that rain and night are not going to happen in AC. Let it go.
    [​IMG]

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  8. Snowman38

Snowman38 Hardcore Simmer

Although you are correct, I'm only applying the statement that having rain effects added to this game would decrease the frame rate, to THIS game. I'm pretty sure they would have to overhaul a large chunk of the physics and programming that's gone into the game thus far.. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware, this game (on console) already has the poorer frame rate out of PCars, Dirt Rally, and let's throw in Forza for good measure. If you removed the weather effects from ANY of those games, it would free up processing power. Processing power that the programmers could then use towards boosting the frame rate. No?

Because of the poor-ish fps in this game, I posit this... The guys programming this game are either A) poor at programming, or B) have used every bit of the processor that they could to model the unbelievably awesome physics replication that this game has in place. And whether you choose A or B, I think adding MORE effects to the game would lower the current performance. Sure if they prioritized weather effects, it could be done.. But the only way I could see the game NOT dropping in frame rate is if they hired new programmers, or COMPLETELY overhauled the entire game, and started fresh with the newly learned knowledge they have moving forward.

BTW, this is just argument for arguments-sake.. I really don't care either way, and I'm not trying to get anyone mad.

9. bradleyland

I run a software development company, so I'm very empathetic to Kunos' position. Also, this becomes naval gazing very, very quickly, but here we go :)

My main point is that it is impossible to speculate about whether rain/night effects are/aren't possible from an outsider's perspective. We simply don't know enough about the software, how it was written, or what optimizations are left on the table.

The community's role is to express their desires in a measured and reasonable way. Quelling discussion of those desires on the grounds that I (or you) think something is not possible is, IMO, unjustified.

Kunos have said that rain/night effects are not going to happen in AC1. As far as I'm concerned, that is all the information I need. That's not to say it's not possible, but the point is moot. Many things are possible, but they are still untenable for reasons that are not technical. So if someone wants to hop on the forum and express the want or desire for night/rain effects, the appropriate response is to share the information we have (Kunos says it's not happening in AC1). Others might take the opportunity to reiterate their interest. All of this is fine, and the discussion will die on its own, if not for the arguments about what is or isn't possible. That's why I prefer to simply say, "Yeah, that'd sure be nice!" And move along.

10. boabmatic

boabmatic Hardcore Simmer

I'm bad enough in the dry...
    never mind in the rain at night

bradleyland likes this.
  11. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Still the best comment on this thread :p