1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Your thoughts on AC driving physics?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by ALB123, Aug 26, 2016.

1. breyzipp

breyzipp Gamer

Haha, yes indeed! I remember your nickname as well from my GT6 days. :) So to make the story short I moved over to shiney FM6 and XBox One because GT was nowhere near anything on the PS4 1,5 year ago. Turned out FM6 isn't all that big but I really like the FH series for some semi-arcade fun roadtrippin' on music tunes as well. :) But since my rig and wheel is now XBox oriented (thanks to FM6 hype) I'm kinda stuck on XBO for now. But! If this PS VR starts to kick off and become tempting I might get a Thrustmaster PS4 base as well and the PS4 + VR hardware. Drive Club seems interesting with VR I'm just not so sure I will like the game. And then there is GT Sport now which should support VR as well. I'm just more disappointed than enthousiastic with what I've seen from GT:S so far.

For now I'm perfectly happy with my XBox One for Project CARS & Assetto Corsa when I'm in a sim mood and soon Forza Horizon 3 for when I'm in a chillout mood. For 2017 I think Project CARS is the one game I'm looking forward to the most and ofcourse all the DLC for Assetto and FH3 as well.

Ooh I got F1 2016 for XBO as well but I barely touched it. I'm not that much into F1 driving but this game is more interesting than previous years. But I mainly bought it for the tracks, I really like to drive some of the F1 tracks like Malaysia, Brasil etc that I don't have in any other racing game yet.

Cheers BTW!

ALB123 likes this.
  2. Skemekos123

Skemekos123 Racer

Absolutely love it! Best racer on console in terms of handling and FFB. Incredible.

3. breyzipp

breyzipp Gamer

Uhm PCARS 2 that is of course.

ALB123 likes this.
  4. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Awesome! Glad to see you over here in Assetto Corsa land. I left GT6 because everyone I became friends with in GT land was just constantly in a state of depression over the lack of communication with Polyphony - the devs had given up on the game completely - they refused to mention a word about a GT7, etc... I left a little while after you disappeared. The very first day I played Assetto Corsa on my PC I never turned my PS3 on again. In fact, I yanked the SSD out of my PS3 and slapped it in this laptop so I can have 2 SSDs in this thing. :)

I hope you end up enjoying AC as much as I have. It sure sounds like there have been quite a few bugs and whatnot with this launch of AC on consoles. Bear with AC as they get things settled better with updates and patches. This sim is so phenomenal on PC - if the console version is even 75% as good once some initial bumps are smoother out, it should be an amazing experience. Of course, consoles will never get to experience mods like we do on PC. That's the BIG thing that will always separate the two. It saddens me to see how many people have been screaming for their money back because, the game sucks, the bugs make the game unplayable, or the AI is broken because they can't win races, etc... Most of those people should have never bought AC in the first place. If you're complaining about AC being too hard to drive or the AI too difficult to beat - a true sim is not for that person. GT/Forza is going to be a better choice. There are certainly some bugs and even a few embarrassing problems on Day One, but Kunos will be all over that crap like white on rice to fix them. The same with the missing private lobbies and such. AC is not an arcade racer and I'm reading so much stuff from people who just don't understand that. Physics / tire model / track surfaces - those are the hallmark of simulation. AI is supposed to be hard - not rolling road blocks like in GT6. Look at me babbling... I don't mean to preach - you clearly know the difference and understand what's what.

Again, it's great to hear from you again. I hope those Day One bugs get ironed out for you super quickly. Talk to you soon!

You have an amazing attitude!! You're right, the AI is much harder than in GT6 (I never owned Forza). They actually race hard and provide a real challenge. It saddens me to see so many people complaining that Assetto Corsa "sucks" because they can't beat the AI yet. I've been playing for almost a year and I still lose to the AI on the more difficult settings if I make mistakes with my driving. I'd be willing to bet the ppl complaining are over driving the cars and under steering into every corner, always trying to out brake the AI and then they wonder why they're losing. Ugh...

You're going to love AC the more and more you discover all the tiny details that distinguish cars from each other. No two vehicles drive the same. Even in GT3 class - they're all very closely matched, but every single one drives differently from the next. Pro's & Con's of each GT3 car are different from each other, or at least varied in percentages in certain areas. If you like driving street cars, you're really going to love AC. You can't drive these things like they're race cars or you're going to crash - plain and simple. But once you get the feel down for a car like the Ferrari 458, you can toss that thing around and have so much fun behind the wheel. Keep up that great attitude! I hope to see you around the forums again...

5. Yeah its great game i spent four hours on it on practice mode just gettin the feel off it with all my difficult settings off manual and clutch i cant complain coz the physics is actuallly amazing and to see the steering wheel in the game go full 900 degrees is just sick i only understeer a tiny bit coz heel toe and i cant wait for the japanese pack to come coz of the supra i love my cars im a car guy myself and i own a jza80 supra my self but unfortunatly Naturally aspirated but manual and the way this game is going im probly the only one not complaining about the graphic coz i was already expecting some bugs and problems but over all i love it the way it is
    If i was to take a corner on forza it will under steer really bad at speed but im findin it easier to take corners on AC then forza hahaha but overall let the practice begin till they release the new update next week till i start my career and yes il post threads and here and there and give suggestions for car packs
    Only one thing its missing atm is the rain i seen in some photos

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  6. Archangel22

Archangel22 Gamer

Been 3days now into the console version on ps4 and the game is tough, I like how each car feels different handles different and its almost like you can feel the weight of some of the cars the way they turn. I know its a sim but I feel like driving supercars its brutal if these are accurate I wonder how on earth pro racing drivers manage this as a career I cant keep them on the road. the slower cars feel better to drive but on sharp u turn bends it feels like they slow down way too much and cant make the turn compared to other racing games but I have more of a beef with supercars. I want to drive them more but they feel like the wheels are on oil its just way too tough to keep them steady and perform clean turns around a bend. 3 days and I havent noticed any improvement in my game style and this coming from a console gamer since the ps1 days where Ive played GT, forza, NFS, grid, driveclub, split second, PGotham, burnout you name it Ive never ever ever struggled on a console game not even GT or Forza as I have with AC. I know its a sim and I welcome the challenge but the cars feel so different compared to other games its challenging controlling them with a controller pad for a console

7. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

@Archangel22, you're off to a great start because you have a good attitude about playing a different style of driving/racing game. I was a diehard GT6 player and I wasn't too shabby myself. I literally put track time in every single day. I switched exclusively to Assetto Corsa back in October 2015 and I still struggle. You're 100% right that each car does feel different because all cars in real life feel slightly different, at least to some degree. But, the basics are always the same in a car. Throttle moves ya forward - brakes slow ya down - steering wheel moves you left or right. It's just finding that balance that's the tricky part. I know you have over a decade of experience with the other console racing titles, but think about it -- you're now playing a true sim, where the whole point of the "game" is to simulate real world conditions as closely as possible without sacrificing realism for ease of use. You've only got 3 days of experience into Assetto Corsa!! It will come. I promise you that. And when it does, you're going to have an ear to ear grin on your face because the feeling of ripping a Ferrari F40 or Lamborghini Huracan GT3 around a racetrack IS an awesome experience! You'll get frustrated and you'll curse & swear at all the crashing you do, but that's what will keep you coming back for more. The challenge to push those cars to the limits.
    Good luck!!!

8. Roble

Roble Gamer

Well said sir! The satisfaction of getting in a near perfect lap in AC is like no other game/sim I have played, all whilst knowing you could even shave a few more tenths off!

Johnnypenso likes this.
  9. DrVegas

DrVegas Gamer

My console experience is almost exclusive to the GT5 and GT6 as I only recently upgraded to the PS4 in anticipation of the release of AC and GTS. I typically played GT6 2-3 hours online nightly with friends of which many have moved on to Project Cars. The ones I still communicate with didn't give great reviews on that game so I have never tried it. While waiting for this game to be released and watching some of the YouTube videos such as SLAPtrain's funny review I couldn't wait to try this game out!

I preordered the game from Gamestop since they were exclusive here in the US for the Prestige Pack. I picked up the game yesterday morning and the receipt code said Performance Pack and I thought they made a mistake but when I entered it in the PS Store it did indeed give me the Prestige Pack.

I spent about 6 hours playing yesterday and my early first impressions are:
    • The feel of the car on the track is amazing! I practiced (and tried some hot lap's) on some of my favorite's from GT6 such as Spa, Brands Hatch as well as Silverstone and the Nurb.
    • One very noticeable thing was how much better the cars handle once the tires get heated up. You could then really push into and out of turns with much more confidence. I had trouble knowing how long that took and wished there was some indicator showing this info. It seemed to take at least 1-2 laps.
    • I really like the sounds of each of the car's (with the exception of starting from a stand still) and the sounds when going over the curb or running off the road actually brought a smile to my face.
    • FFB - Is almost too good? I'm using a TS300 (Alcantara edition) and used to run my setting typically high on GT6 set at 6 and 8. I couldn't handle the setting at 100% as the wheel felt very heavy. I've been trying different setting from 40%-65% but any advice would be appreciated.
    • Online - Not going to bash as there are several threads related to the issues but will just leave it as disappointing and hopeful there will be an update soon to address.
    Bottom line is I'm hooked after the first day and look forward to hitting the track!

10. Maxx69

Maxx69 Racer

Played a proper session last night with some friends .....and I have to say 'oh my god ' :)
    After playing pcars solidly since release using a t300 and thinking that was great physics.....it now feels like an arcade game .
    Multi-player obviously is full of idiots on console , just out to destroy everyone's fun , but when you got a few laps without being rammed or find someone parked on an apex ....this game is the best racing game I've ever played , it feels amazing and the sound is awesome and I can't wait for what's hopefully going to come .
    Great work on producing a top class sim racer for console ....can't wait to get back on and try the other cars :)

11. arthur666

arthur666 Alien

Very good advice.

I can imagine firing it up first time, seeing the car list... " Abarth500, hmmm... Alfa Mito uhhh, old BMW 4-cyl sedan? kinda cool but... *yawn*... Ferrari! now we're talking! Hell yeah! LaFerrari! " *click*
    I mean, who wouldn't pick something hyper-exotic if they had a choice? But make yourself drive something friendly, or if there's a car similar to something you've spent quality time in IRL, try that. Even if it's that Alfa Romeo Giulietta hatchback. Drive it like it's real. And learn how breaking traction, sliding etc. feels in this sim without the frustration of driving into walls every half lap. I'ld rather make clean, satisfying laps in a street-tire FWD than run a McLaren into the sand.
    Just mastering the standard Abarth500SS can be tons of fun. I've found myself stuck in a hotlap trance in that car many times.

Something I might add to Michael's recommendation: try race practice session against similar cars. They will randomly take practice laps around the track. They will likely be faster than you. Let them pass, don't fight them. I find this to be an entertaining way to get familiar with a car and the AI.

12. breyzipp

breyzipp Gamer

Haha so ironic but that is also the exact same reason I left the PS3 and GT6. While Turn 10 was busy hyping me up about Forza 6 (early 2015 reveal) at the same time GT7 seemed like a distant nothing. :)

I ***completely*** agree on your point of view about Assetto, I've played it a bit and so far I absolutely love it. I actually made a pretty long post over at the Assetto forum of GT planet which comes into context here as well, this is the link :) : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...s4-and-xbox-one.329736/page-120#post-11524206

Also I seem to have the impression that in general PC racers sometimes also look down on console racers (again, in general). Well not all of us console players are the typical console players either. I love sim, I love realism, I love immersion and for me Assetto already scores really high in those aspects. Sure stuff and fluff AROUND the racing itself could be improved greatly but the core racing itself is already a superb experience for me. :)

13. boabmatic

boabmatic Hardcore Simmer

Me too.. I like the turn on and play aspect of the console but like my racing games as sim's.

Tried to get into PC Racing but there was too much messing about with the actual PC rather than racing.

Had another go when I got my new MacBook Pro about a year ago as it had a GT 750m graphics card and bought PCars and the full simbin catalog as it was on special. It was a bit better experience on Windows 10 but ended up getting an Xbox one and rebought Pcars .

And also I always driven on a wheel even back on GT4 with a driving force pro then G25,G27 and now TX.

Loving the next step in the chain with assetto corsa.

Skemekos123 and breyzipp like this.
  14. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

I haven't tried the console version, but from what I gather the 100% FFB is very heavy.
    It's probably best to put it down anyway, because too heavy FFB, while at first feeling "convincing" and realistic, causes clipping in consumer level wheels like T300 or G29.

That is from iRacing but it applies to all racing sims. The thing is, if your FFB is too "loud" it will clip during the hardest turns (especially high speeds) and while you get strong feedback, you will lose information of what the car is doing. If there is no FFB clipping indicator on console (?) like there is on PC it's hard to determine what is good level..

At 3:00 he talks about the settings. But depends on wheel too

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Seria17hri11er and DrVegas like this.
  15. breyzipp

breyzipp Gamer

I lowered my FFB from 100% to 80% and that feels much better. Haven't given any other values a try yet because the driving itself is so much more fun than fiddling with the settings. :)

16. DrVegas

DrVegas Gamer

Great info Shedator! Really appreciate the help!

17. Vincent S.

Vincent S. Rookie

I am absolutely LOVING IT. the physics are definitely on another level. there is definitely more a connection to the car and track through the FFB and handling physics. I can't wait to see what's in store for the future, and I hope this SIM does well on console. if I could get some league racing going, I would be all set :)

18. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

Love the driving feel and ffb you really feel connected to the car(t500rs), flat spotting the tyres if you're not careful on the brakes is a welcome addition although no pressure adjustment means they are quite sensitive.

I miss the working motec with multiple pages proper fov adjustments and seat/camera adjustments that pcars has.. Fuel consumption tyre/brake temps water oil pressure/temps etc.. Those little things imo make the experience more immersive..

All in all I can't see any other game getting a lookin for quite a while.
    Fingers crossed that with further patches we'll get more of those options..

19. HoolioGT6

HoolioGT6 Rookie

Forza, GT6..... lmao

Maxx69 likes this.
  20. Is AC too hard or is the player not hard enough... When I started hotlapping with forza some years ago I was very convinced by my own driving skills. Got me some nuts when I realized that the top players took 30 seconds of me on a 5km course. Somewhere then I found the suggestion to get an issue of the book "Speed Secrets". This changed my driving a lot. They should include this with ever AC disk =).

Real Sim racing means to also dig into racing theory and try to bring this to your practical virt driving. Without this it wont be possible to beat any higher AI settings in AC. Meaning the AC AI just shows if one was not really sim racing before.
    Beside this a lot of virtual racing is required (>10000 virtual km?) , one needs to know a track in every detail in order to be fast.

At least thats my humble opinion and I have not much problems anymore to control any car in AC with all assists turned off (except the F40, thats a beast in AC). That would have been different 3 years ago. Still I am way to slow compared to the top virt racers on most of the tracks.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016