1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

FOV calculation same as AC?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by buddhatree, Sep 12, 2018.

1. grimdanfango

grimdanfango Racer

Vertical FOV? Is this absolutely confirmed? From everything I've ever done with camera settings for my job, I'd just presumed it would be horizontal FOV. Didn't realize *anything* used vertical FOV.

Cantago_NL likes this.
  2. jayeffaar

jayeffaar Rookie

I suppose vertical FOV makes sense if you're going to support triple monitors too.

3. grimdanfango

grimdanfango Racer

Yeah, I guess that's a fair point for going with that as a de-facto standard. No need to alter the figure when extending from 1 to 3 monitors.

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Racer

AC, rF1, rF2, Automobilista, RaceRoom, and DiRT Rally all use vFOV. The only sim that uses hFOV is pCars2.

Cote Dazur and nate like this.
  5. grimdanfango

grimdanfango Racer

Now I've tried it calculating for vertical FOV instead of horizontal, and pulling my monitor arm as close to my face as I can without interfering with the wheel, it does indeed feel better... far more sense of speed.
    But even that close, the lack of peripheral vision makes it hard to drive... I'm going to just have to wait for the October VR rollout... then I can go back to never needing to worry about FOV calculations again, and just have it all look correct and completely enveloping :)

Cote Dazur, jayeffaar and buddhatree like this.
  6. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Gamer

As long as the field of view is perfect, the hight is not so special. You can adjust it ingame, or use a higher seat irl.

7. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Gamer

There is only one definition of field of view and one way to calculate it. I don't use anything else but I do sit very close to my 27" monitor.

8. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Gamer

Wait a minute... vFOV?! Like, take the hight of the screen and the FOV value from that is the one you set ingame? Not measured left to right? Because if that is so, I found the problem.

jayeffaar likes this.
  9. grimdanfango

grimdanfango Racer

Hehe, yeah. I'd been labouring under that false preconception too.
    With my 32" arm-mounted monitor pulled right up to float just above my T300RS wheel base, I worked it out as around a 30-degree FOV (vertical)... which feels very restrictive on a single monitor setup, but also instantly converted the game from feeling oddly slow and detached, where I couldn't hit apexes correctly, to feeling fast and matching the overall feeling I'm used to from playing in VR. It's correct to have a tight FOV on a single monitor... it just sucks to have no peripheral vision.
    The only alternative was to pull the monitor so close as to be only 12 inches from my eyes, which makes it hard to even focus on (being far-sighted), but allowed around a 50-degree FOV instead.

Basically... triples or VR... or run with a weird distorted perspective. There's really no other choices.

I already knew VR was the solution for me... it just solves all of this without even needing to think about it, feels perfect and entirely immersive, and gives a sense of space and position that even triples lacks. Judging apexes feels effortless.
    Just gotta wait until October :)

Cote Dazur likes this.
  10. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Gamer

On no! You seem to be right! After adjusting my monitor (it is a bit farther away now) I came to the same 30 degrees vFOV as you, and it looks like I am in a cockpit now, just like in VR... but I can only see a small piece. Damn, I dislike the graininess (lowres / Oculus Rift) so want to use a monitor. Triple screen I hate because off the angle between monitors, always gives a lot of distortion. No real options here... To bad for me.

11. grimdanfango

grimdanfango Racer

Ah, VR is still a mile ahead of the alternatives I'd say. Sure, the res leaves a lot to be desired for the time being, but once you're burning it round a track with all your senses and muscle-memory cooperating, you stop caring whether you could read the numberplate of the guy 100m further up the track, you're too busy being aware of that car creeping up your right-hand side in your peripheral vision while keeping your eye fixed on the next apex.
    Most of what's really important is no more than 20m away. It's not like you need to be spotting dots on the horizon or reading tiny instrumention readouts as you would be in a flight-sim.

...and it's only temporary. VR will be getting much better over the next couple of years, I'm sure. They just need foveated rendering to arrive.

Cantago_NL and Cote Dazur like this.
  12. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Gamer

U are absolutely right. I am just someone who wants it all, and I really enjoy the clarity and crispness of high resolution. Can not wait until we arive at high res VR!

13. How are people adjusting their view settings? I find if I use a field of view calculator tool, like I do for Ac1, Every becomes very narrow. I'm not sure if this is right or working properly yet, Or are people just adjusting the default fov setting slightly? The calculation for where I sit roughly 25inches from screen on a 27inch monitor gives me a fov of 36 or something. Just makes every so narrow compared to Ac1

14. Coanda

Coanda Alien

15. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

The emphasis on FOV has me puzzled. I haven’t really bothered to calculate anything, I just fiddle with the view settings until it looks right. I remember I did calculate FOV correctly when I was playing Pcars2 a while back, but I ended up using a different setting as it felt off to me. What am I missing?

I’m likely to get a 49 inch super ultra wide monitor soon, so might have to be more thoughtful about settings soon...

16. grimdanfango

grimdanfango Racer

I think the point of calculating it is that you simply won’t guess anywhere near correct, because correct will feel unnaturally constrained on a typical single screen, unless you pull it up to 6” from your face.

Years of playing games with super-wide FOVs presumably has conditioned us all to think that is what looks right.
    ...but in a racing sim, the effect of an over-wide FOV for your head position is to make it feel like you’re driving slower than you really are, so it makes it harder to drive.

Ultimately, the only realistic solutions are - get a triple-screen, or VR. VR is especially good because it not only gives you as much FOV as you care to turn your head, but it just is correct... no need to worry about placing monitors at the correct distance and working out equations.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  17. skolar

skolar Rookie

18. skolar

skolar Rookie

vFOV = 2 x {invTan x [(ImageHeight ÷ 2) ÷ ViewingDistance]}
    excel example:

=2*(DEGREES(ATAN(((Image Height/2)/Viewing Distance))))

Like I posted a while ago... there is one correct way to calculate YOUR field of view.

The above formula is for Vertical FOV. Therefore it does not change with regard to your screen width.

I have 3x 40 inch screens - triple monitor setup - My eyes are approximately 70cm from the vertical MIDDLE of the centre screen (that's important - my eyes are looking at the MIDDLE of the screen in front) - vFOV calculates at 38.58009 degrees (so 38 or 39 degrees) - try it and you will SEE.

MonitorAngle = 2 x {invTan x [MonitorWidth ÷ (2 x ViewingDistance)]}

My side monitors angles calculate at 64.30459028 degrees (64-65 degrees) - remember I use triple 40" screens - use these calculations CORRECTLY and you WILL get proper FOV.

Also, do some research - for example - Dirt Rally has a quirk where the vFOV calculation needs to be DOUBLED to work correctly - this is in the game code and cannot be altered - it also does not render three separate views panes (like AC 1 for example), so will ALWAYS stretch.

Have fun... lastly, a V8 Supercar in a cockpit with correct setup around Nordschleife (for example) DESTROYS what ACC is doing at the moment... I know it's not GT3 blah blah... it is just a FACT - actually I have a Nissan 350z Mod (and I own that car IRL) in AC 1 around same track and it DESTROYS what ACC is doing...

Enjoy.

19. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

Being a sim racer is so weird because yesterday I had a 3hr drive and in between the music, coffee and avoiding idiot drivers I started talking to myself and comparing my view to the real world to the game. And said yep I need to turn off wheel in game, take fov to 46, raise the height and lock it in!:D