1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Biggest settings impact on GPU?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by 81sc, Aug 4, 2019.

1. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

How exactly did you verify? Still screen FPS value or benchmark run?

2. ziozeus

ziozeus Racer

Maybe he entered a cloudy session so no trees shadows? I definitely have less fps with high in sunny weather

Inviato dal mio FRD-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

3. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I also tested this at some point and I couldn't verify that High generates more FPS than Low or Mid. It scaled as expected with less FPS the higher the setting. My bet is also on a specific, unusual scenario.

4. unknwn

unknwn Alien

On my system I have noticed a strange FPS drop with combination of volumetric fog and shadows.
    If I have volumetric fog disabled there is only very minimal FPS drop when changing shadows from LOW to EPIC of ~5%, however if I have any volumetric fog setting enabled then changing shadows from HIGH to EPIC alone causes exponentially large FPS drop of ~20%, while changing shadows from LOW to HIGH still have nearly no impact.
    Shadows at EPIC greatly improves shadow drawing range so I guess it makes sense to leave volumetric fog disabled.

Also any value higher than LOW of post processing has high FPS cost of ~25% hence I keep it at LOW.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  5. Luciano Micale

Luciano Micale Simracer

i was with low to medium settings, on rain and night, and my fps was going up and down from 90 to 45 depending on the place of the track, it was a qualy session, i stopped where it was 45 and changed the settings of shadows from low to high and boom...90fps all green on open vr. I have to try also the volumetric fog thing. ACC easter eggs?!?

romandevision likes this.
  6. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Simracer

Really useful to see the good findings here guys.
    So far ROG rtx2080ti oc is not complaining on highest settings but don’t mind seeing the difference some of you mentioned.
    Guess the ship has sailed to ask for a built-in benchmark ...

7. Koly™

Koly™ Racer

Shadows HIGH instead of ULTRA, has stoped the FPS drops I had at Brandhatch at 20h00 in a race, after the bridge, the FPS dropped to 45fps, with HIGH, it's +60 now.

Mirror quality HIGH instead of ULTRA reduces the FPS drops too.

8. Koly™

Koly™ Racer

your gpu at 100% is normal, it's strange with a 1080ti I can race with the max AI, 29....it CPU dependant.

9. walterioo

walterioo Rookie

Same here, dropped Shadows to HIGH from EPIC and FPS drops where fixed, also my gpu went from 100% usage to 60% with no noticeable impact in quality
    I have a 2080 with 431.36 drivers

10. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

But with shadow @"high", cars start looking like floating:

Shadow epic:
    shadow_epic.jpg

Shadow high:
    shadow_high.jpg

NilisW, Dookie, flihp and 4 others like this.
  11. Koly™

Koly™ Racer

are you sure you have everything at max, I will check. But I prefer this effect than FPS dros.

12. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

I don't understand what you mean, as I show you 2 pictures with the only difference of shadow settings.
    Feel free to compare yourself, with the same result. Less shadow makes the car look like having no contact to the ground.

13. SimRacer925

SimRacer925 Simracer

I cam confirm this. Car looks like it's floating around on the track if shadows are set to anything lower than Epic.

sps_for_race likes this.
  14. Koly™

Koly™ Racer

did you use ?
    r.Shadow.DistanceScale=2.00
    I need to test, but for me the floating effect is less important than the fps drops.

15. Koly™

Koly™ Racer

I have tested and it's what I thought, no difference.
    HIGH
    20190818210900_1.jpg

EPIC
    20190818211011_1.jpg

Do you see a difference ?

HIGH
    20190818210902_1.jpg

EPIC
    20190818211014_1.jpg

No floating efffect. It's clear that you have not everything else at epic or max like me, there is another setting that affect your shadows, like draw distances

LeDude83 likes this.
  16. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

Doesn't make sense.
    So you have edited your engine. ini?

17. Koly™

Koly™ Racer

no, the default engine.ini, we ned to understand, I have not the "floating effect", I have posted you what i have.

edit: I 've an idea, give me the track, the time you have used, I will replicate exactly your settings.

18. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

I don't understand this phenomenon, that you should't have the same result.

19. Koly™

Koly™ Racer

give me the track, the weather and the time you have used, do you have all at epic ?

20. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I see a touch of floating in that 1st picture on the orange Audi's LR tyre.

NilisW likes this.