1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

"Slow down" penalties

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Fabio Pittol, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Gamer

Hi, I search but only found the subject on old AC forums.

Does ACC currently have any kind of "slow down" penalties implementation? If so, in which cases? If not, are there any plans?

Yesterday I was on one of many amazing races I've been having on CP servers and as the night fell in Monza I misjudged the T1 braking zone while very close to the leader (couldn't see the board, and the rest was pitch black). I noticed my mistake, moved to the inside and released the brakes a little, in order to go thru the chicane and not T-bone my fellow racer. After that I waited him to pass again, but the game was ruthless awarding me with a Drive Through penalty.

Yes, it was my mistake, no doubt about it. But I was a little disappointed of how black/white it was. I would be perfectly fine if it gave my a 5sec slow down, I could even loose the 2nd position, since the guy in 3rd was close too. Instead I lost almost 35sec.

Even this guy in 3rd send me a message after the race disappointed with how harsh the penalty was. 'Cause our 3-car fight was awesome.

SOLID FARRELL likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Slow down GT2s Jan 28, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Slow downshifts with automatic gearbox Dec 6, 2021
    ACC Gameplay AI randomly slowing down in traffic (practice, qualification) Dec 1, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting FPS slow down when near ai car Feb 19, 2020
    ACC Gameplay AI Slow Down 1.0.8 Sep 17, 2019
    ACC Gameplay [1.0.4] AI doesn't avoid puddles, slowing themselves down Jun 15, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Sand slow down Apr 14, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Crash - slowly building up slowing down ACC until crash Mar 13, 2019
    ACC Physics Revlimiter slows down car when engaging Mar 6, 2019
    ACC General Discussions windows update KB4100347 fps slow down Sep 19, 2018
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Graphical slowdown after installing the 1.16 release Jan 23, 2018
    Physics Bugs & Issues AI Slows Down as Race Progresses Dec 27, 2017
    Console Lounge 10 Second Slow down! Jul 15, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Paddle shift cars not blipping on downshifts anymore and slowing down old formula cars. May 24, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds High FPS (90-120) yet slow motion/slow downs Jan 5, 2017

3. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
    NEVER

You just have to learn how to deal with the current system. Once you do, you will realize its SO MUCH BETTER than having slowdowns.

4. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Gamer

Well, let me be clear, since your reaction shows you did not get my point.

I don't mean slowdowns related to those off-track warnings, like we get easily in Spa, for example. In that sense I totally agree with you.

What I'm saying if for situations like I mentioned, it was a racing incident, collision avoidance, but the game didn't take the time to check if I gained something or not. Which, btw it seems to do pretty well the track limits matter.

5. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I do get your point, you cut the course and you got a drive through penalty. In most cases if you slow down enough you will simply get a warning. You apparently exceeded some kind of speed limit which gave you a drive through penalty.
    Next time if you think it's unfair, record it. If there are issues with the system, devs would like to know about it and one dev even created a thread a while back where you can report such cases.
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...invalidation-or-penalties-test-request.62059/

6. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Gamer

I did. I have the replay AND the Motec log.

7. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

If you think there's something wrong with the system, I would recommend posting them in that thread.

8. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Gamer

Will do.

Oblit0r likes this.
  9. MARCOITA20

MARCOITA20 Rookie

It happened to me too once, CP race, night, rain, at the first change of direction after Maggotts I lost the rear and decided to go straight cutting so as not to risk turning around. On the asphalt escape route, as soon as I regained full control of the car I went at very strong speeds with the intention of slowing down as soon as I got back on the track giving the position to those who followed me from neighbors hoping to avoid the penalty which, unfortunately, arrived the same. I think it is in your case that in my case the penalty would have been to avoid, but I also think I understood how the game is going, basically he wants you to slow down all the way off the track, before getting back on track.
    Although the mechanism is not perfect I consider it better than the old one present in AC.
    Sorry for my English.

10. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Gamer

Yeah, following Oblit0r suggestion I posted the replay here. Whilst reviewing it I noticed that apparently it kinda has a "slow down" counter internally because the DT only shows up on the HUD when I accelerate again, which happened to be a split second before the guy passed me by. I'm waiting for a confirmation if that's how it actually works. If so, it's kinda fair. Pretty hard to judge on the fly when to accelerate again, 'cause even the way I did, I lost a lot more time. But, then again, was my mistake and would still be better than losing 35sec.

David Danser and Yossa like this.
  11. Si.

Si. Simracer

I think you were awarded the Drive Through because you cut the corner at too high a speed, you hit the kerb and were then out of control cutting across the track and grass. If another car had been on track going through the chicane you wouldn’t have been able to avoid it. I think it’s a tough penalty but fair as you were out of control no matter that you gave place back.

For instance, if you’d been on the outside and missed the turn, went straight on but had been braking and drove round bollards you wouldn’t have been awarded a penalty.

12. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

It's all about gaining time. The system calculates how much time you gain and if you gain a little time, you get a warning. If you gain more time by a single cut, you get a DT, and if you blatantly gain a lot of time (like going full speed through the old track section in Variante 1), you get a direct DSQ.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A5010 mediante Tapatalk

m_box97 likes this.
  13. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

Exactly, for T1 in monza if you actually do the slalom you are fine otherwise look at your delta and rejoin the track when you are on positive or on 0

AndyK70 and pdf3108 like this.
  14. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Gamer

Since it was in the middle of the race, the delta wasn't usefull, since it was tracking a completely different lap/pace.

Yeah, that's what makes more sense. Actually, if we think about it DOES have a "slow down" system then, it just doesn't show on the screen and let it happen more organically.

As I stated on all my posts, I'm fully aware of my mistake and not saying I shouldn't have been punished. It's racing, it happens. After reviewing the incident and reading your theories, now I just wanted to know from Kunos what the trigger really is, mainly out of curiosity now, so if something similar happens again, I can try to follow all the steps for it to be fair to the race, to the other drivers and to me. As it is in real life, although even here, we know it's not always clear.

Anyway, thanks everybody for your inputs!

Yossa likes this.
  15. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

From the start/finish line to T1 the delta doesn't change that much during the race, still usefull

Fabio Pittol likes this.
  16. junneh

junneh Gamer

Slow down abit when you cut and you dont get a warning/penalty. For the rest its just simulating the way it is in real life, and that shouldnt change, imo.

17. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Come on guys, this DT system is crap. You can exceed track limits by just a bit a few times, perhaps gain half a second, and lose 15 seconds by getting a DT.
    Just watch the GT Rivals Esports video, most of the drivers had DTs during the race, it looks like a bad joke, and it's not like those are incompetent drivers from our everyday public servers.
    I've never seen a real life race where drivers get a drive through for just three small track limits infringements, and I see no reason for that to happen on a sim.

18. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

How "small" is "small",... ?

kickers2k1 and Vision_Slayer_525 like this.
  19. JanR

JanR Gamer

Actually, if the consequences were as strict in real life as well maybe there would be less excessive usage of the tarmac runoff areas as there can be seen now at some race tracks... TBH I'd rather like seeing that in real life.

Regarding the consequences in ACC: After all its the same for anyone, and everybody who plays it seriously probably/hopefully knows about the consequences of cutting too often, so there's an "easy" way to avoid the DT...

20. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I think it spoils the race. Every driver will try to use all the track he can, and sometimes will go too far. In my opinion it would be a lot better to give just a 3 second penalty after 3 infringements than a Drive Through, which should be just for cases where a lot of time is gained.
    Kelvin Van der Linde posted something about it on his Instagram account, that he would never play ACC online again because when he did, he got some stupid penalties. So I don't see a reason to keep a system that's gonna make ACC lose professional drivers to iracing, even though Nicki Thiim said ACC is miles ahead in terms of physics.

Even if I agreed with this system, anything that would give me a better chance of seeing pros playing ACC, in my opinion, is worth doing (within reason, of course).

21. drukqs

drukqs Racer

I enjoy the current system, it gives me 3 fair warnings....so i have the time to start be more cautions on my driving limits.

Slow downs have several drawbacks:
    1. They are dangerous: people slowing down while other drivers go full thottle is dangerous.
    2. Can be exploited: people can just block other cars while slowing down: again, very dangerous.
    3. Can be stupid and unfair: countless times in 'another game' i was going offtrack to avoid coliding with incidents in front of me and i got a penalty: Which is, stupid in my opinion, because most of those times i didn't even gain any advantage.

The track limits are equal to everyone and i think are well implemented, and if you ask me they are actually quite lessez-faire compared to other games i've played.
    With regards to DT, that i am unsure if it's the best penalty for a simple reason: not all pit lanes are creted equal, and a DT penalty is much much harsher in say, SPA or Misano, then Zandvoort or Paul Ricard because of the Pit Length.
    Maybe a flat time penalty added in the end would be a better approach imo.