1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Progressive system penalty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darcy Callai Junior, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

Yeah, we need something that is easy to maintain as well (read: no maintaince)

I got no idea of coding.
    Is it somehow possible to get this info out somewhere:
    "All the points/places where cars are going slower / starts to brake AND/OR driver's wheel are turning more than eg. 40 degrees" ?

2. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Good point. This could destroy the generic content of my idea. You are right, we have to consider every (cuttable) corner per track.
    I will try to code some poc, learn how to cut corners and come back with the results.

Edit:
    I do agree, the best solution would also work with a unknown modded track. This again leads to some kind of reference line..
    Btw you would determine a corner (more specifically the apex) by the point where the steering angle is reducing [on a perfect, smooth reference race line].

ChokDK likes this.
  3. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

reference line could be the AI line.

But I think a reference time is the better solution, driven by (a virtual) AI.
    This reference time could be calculated at loading time (hopefully doesn't take too long to calculate). Any random errors etc need to be eliminated so the same time is reproducible every time on every machine.
    Then we have the problem of changing surface grip. I think we should just use 100% surface grip for the AI, it doesn't need to be that accurate.
    I think if leaving the track by mistake it's fine if you aren't allowed to not lose any time.
    In my suggestion
    I even added some threshold time to the reference. And in any way, if you really left the track by mistake you would only need to give a small amount of time back, just a short lift most of the time.

If necessary you could probably find a cheap approximation formula how to determine the reference time for a given surface grip based on 100% grip though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  4. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

using the ai line/ctrl+I racing line as a reference seems like a good idea for detecting cuts, using distance from the line seems like it would be easier to work with than time based solutions, but a good time gained solution would obviously be preferable, i can imagine a distance from racing line system resulting in getting penalised for going off on a track like nordschleife where it must be impossible to gain any advantage by going off track, so any penalty would be nuts (but still probably better than the 5 second one at the moment)

5. Minolin

6. Penalty determination based on lap times is flawed. Why is this the case? Well, consider a situation where someone has spun off the track. That loss of time might encourage them to cut a later section of track (in an attempt to minimise the damage), but the lap time will still be slower than a "normal" one, so no penalty will be applied.

WallyM and Ales Nocar like this.
  7. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

not if you treat those events separately. So of course just the lap time won't work, but having a reference time for every position on the track will do.

Minolin likes this.
  8. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

"If" is the important word here, so far we don't, Stefano needs to implement it first, and this might be the most tricky part.

9. Erwin

Erwin Racer

I have created a concept app a few months ago that works very similar to your idea: compare deltas and give back the advantage within a few seconds. I included the app in this post again, for if you or someone else want to try or edit it.

The difficult part is, as you said, acquiring a good reference lap (a reasonable laptime without any cuts or spins). An AI lap during loading seems most feasible, because it could generate lap data even on tracks you've never driven before.
    In my app though, the reference lap is recorded by the app itself, so it doesn't work until you set a laptime without any cuts. After that it works pretty fine.
    concept.png
    This is what it looks like after a cut. If you fail to slow down in time it will say: 'drive through penalty'.

Attached Files:

10. Champion Hero

Champion Hero Simracer

I'm not going to pretend to know HOW it works, but you mention it should work on tracks that have never been driven before. Wouldn't that mean that the track has to contain a valid Ai file though? There are some tracks (laguna sec) that don't have any, and others (Brands Hatch) that do, but are absolute junk at the start...

11. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

NICE! I hope Stefano will find a way to record an AI reference time.

12. Erwin

Erwin Racer

That's right, I assumed all tracks had AI available. If not, it could fall back to the current 5 sec penalty.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  13. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

Is that not something "normal" people can help with? (Normal as in deathly non-programmers :) )
    I remember seing videos of making the raceline, where you basicly just drive a lap while track info is "recorded".
    That's not too much effort so I'm sure that would be no problem for any track.

14. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I still think the best approach is per-track "cut zones" which are pre-determined in the KN5 files. You would then setup criteria for each zone, ie is he on the brakes, is he spinning etc. It works fine in GTR2 and RACE07, I really cant see any other system being as robust and as consistent. The only thing with that, is that it would need to be done for every track, including mod tracks.

Bkim, jasjeet and MAUZERIS[LT] like this.
  15. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

Anyone knows how to make those HN5 files?
    Yeah, Race 07 is still influating with a lot of thought-through solutions I guess.

16. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I can't help but shudder when I think about T1 Monza. Drive through penalty for getting punted (or even slowly pushed ) off by someone else.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

17. Minolin

Made me think about this a while.. Indeed we have to evaluate each scenario also regarding if

- this may be a new playground for wreckers (your scenario)
    - countermeasures may be exploited (briefly touch somebody before full-speed cutting t1 to take advantage of an possible after-crash-excpetion)

18. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I've been around public servers for long enough to know that if there's an unfair advantage to be had, it will be found pretty quickly and abused regularly by the unscrupulous.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  19. AJ McDaddy

AJ McDaddy Simracer

my head hurts :confused:

20. 15 pages later and I'm not sure if we are any closer to replacing the 5 second penalty then when we started. No wonder Stefano feels like he is wasting time. Is a blue flag really more important than soft road physics or a better damage system?

Maybe all runoff areas and any grass (or sand) that is more than a car width away from pavement or curbs should act like quicksand. Sorta arcade, but would solve the problem of cutters and people going very wide on corner exits and might be easily programmable.