1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Progressive system penalty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darcy Callai Junior, Dec 29, 2014.

1. .Repa24

.Repa24 Hardcore Simmer

God damn, just ban the cheaters...sooner or later they will leave the game anyways.
    Does Kunos really think people play this game still in like 2 years on a public server?
    I don't think so, just look at all the other sims where only the leagues and racing communities got the players - and no public server with cheaters on...

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  2. jasjeet

jasjeet Racer

This makes no business sense, alienating the new casual honest players in the short term will hurt in the long term. Kunos have a different strategy than rFactor and iRacing. You cannot support a game for many years without a healthy player base and it's obvious the hard core simmer is a minority in the racing genre.

Tony74 and Thomas Gocke like this.
  3. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

FYI:

Stefano Casillo @KunosStefano
    Follow

@ChokDK1 time for talk is over.. it's time to code or we'll just end up with nothing at all.

So probably not worth posting any more ideas in here for now, just wait and see what Stefano comes up with :)
    Makes sense really, as I think the plan was to include the new system with v1.1 alongside the DLC, and I cant imagine anyone wants to wait any longer for nordschleife right?

4. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Damn, now I have the feeling the be to late to the party. But nontheless they seem to have the feeling they actually can improve something (with coding), which is nice for me.
    Nice discussion btw.

ChokDK and ears1991 like this.
  5. troy

troy Racer

I don't get why there is time invested in this at all, we got admin tools and can vote on servers. You see somebody cut you ban him, problem solved. These 5s penalties are just an annoyence mostly punishing the wrong people.

6. Bkim

Bkim Racer

The beautiful thing is to see the passion people have in helping to make this game better. Nice community!;)

Vítor Sousa likes this.
  7. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

I'm not sure he felt it was waited time completely then.
    Maybe he just needed to know if anyone might have better ideas than what he's up to right now?
    A full fair penalty system will never be, but the 5 sec. thing should be possible to beat I hope :)

I say let's write on and on anyway.
    You never know if you inspire with a thing or two.

I hope he will ask again later for other things.
    IMO some "in-to-the-bone stuff still needs to be done, but I understand the devs got their own decisions as well.
    I have changed my mind for some suggestions as well from important to never mind - eg. yellow flags :)

Phil64 likes this.
  8. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

You just get tired of that sooner or later - only good to try to code that out really

9. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

seriously, you think there is an admin on every public server 24/7? no.
    the current kick system is usually futile, as the voting quorum is the same for skip track and kick player, so has to be set reasonably high to avoid constant restarts, but then not enough people ever vote to kick a player, either because they are driving or because they dont have a keyboard infront of them and you cant easily map vote buttons to your wheel.
    all of those are super easy to fix though

ChokDK likes this.
  10. troy

troy Racer

Well, we got plenty of sims without those artificial slow down systems and I don't see cutters everywhere on these... There are plenty of ways to get obvious cutters and cheaters banned, save a replay and report it to the server owner for example. I run a server every now and then too and never turn those dreaded penalties on, even with full grids very few people cut and if they do it's so obvious they're quickly banned or even bored before I got the chance to ban.

martcerv likes this.
  11. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

Can you mention a few of those games please?
    I might consider buying then..

12. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Then for every driver on track you would need an admin watching them the whole race?
    Race 07 did it quite well.

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  13. Minolin

Yes, I can't even express my happyness that he even did ask.

This. You also often have the problem that most of the players can't tell wether someone should be kicked or not, because they just didn't see the cuts/wrecking attempts etc. I still have this problem on my own server as admin (who is really willing to ban unfair *****les). After a massive t1 wreckfest, how could I isolate the one unresponsible driver without disconnecting and viewing the replay?

I still hope we can manage to enhance transparency by client apps (cuts, blue-flag-blocking, initial contacts, ...), but this is more a community thing. Kunos could of course help with improving the py API.

14. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

I'm not sure the community are able to do python-related stuff for 1.st corner accidents :(

But allow me to reintroduce my suggestion (see page 14 in this thread for more info):

15. Minolin

Sure. If the API could tell us about contact events you could build a tree of contacts in a given time interval of of few seconds. Every root (= one pair of cars) would be a cause of accidents.
    Listing every root pair after any crash would be sufficent for an admin or a voting community. You probably wouldn't kick both after the first time.. But if you recall a name multiple times, ...

ChokDK likes this.
  16. This is the crux of the matter. Admins in control of a server can kick someone if they see them messing about. They don't need the support of other drivers. However, I can't just support a kick request if I haven't seen any of the incidents. That would be stupid, and irresponsible.

Romain F and ChokDK like this.
  17. Romain F

Romain F Rookie

In rFactor, you can see the last seconds/minutes replay without even leaving the server. It is quite handy for admins when someone complains about a contact. Dunno if it's possible to implement in AC, though. In any case, advanced admin functions are useless without a good replay feature.

18. Romain F

Romain F Rookie

Good when there is no admin, possibly disabled when admin is here. Other issues should be adressed too: cars that don't move at start, zigzag causing a lateral contact, zigzag that surprises the following driver during an overtaking attempt... Side-by-side contact in turn 1 (possibly without sudden move, even a "soft" contact can have drammatic consequences)... intentionnal massive crash without even braking, parking a car in Spa's raidillon, sudden lateral move while another car is overtaking, irrelevant braking in straightline or at turn exit, in order to surprise/mislead the next racer, dangerous come back on track after being offtrack, trying to restart and spinning again after a first spin, while other cars are still coming...

I wonder if AI could perform well overall: if it sometimes gives penalties to drivers that are not faulty, it can ruin the experience too...

Sorry for double post, i wanted to merge both but failed.

19. Pascalwb

Pascalwb Hardcore Simmer

I'm alte to the party, but I will comment on this

Stefano Casillo ‏@KunosStefano 2h2 hours ago
    I can't believe people prefer to get a drive thru penalty instead of a N second gas cut.It would be nice to hear a serious alternative.

It's simple with 5s slow down, you have slow cars on track and fast cars behind them, so it's pretty dangerous. When car in front of you slows down to 50km/h you are in trouble.

Anyway I think rF has great system, it's not too strict and it gives you drive trough if you cut more times.
    There have to be difference between cutting and when you brake too late and you go off track. So something like checking if cut with full throttle.

20. .....and that 5 second penalty more often than not penalises innocent drivers rather than idiots. That alone is reason to get rid of it.