1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Progressive system penalty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darcy Callai Junior, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Flags are on the way soon, possibly in the next update.
    I predict that they won't be good enough for most of the people that claim MP is useless without them, but at least they will be implemented in some form.

2. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

This. Exactly like the pitstops. I'd like to hear about numbers how many people did more than one since implemented. ****ing whiners.

Thomas Gocke and A.r.e.s. like this.
  3. yeah, even though is a bit rudimentary it's fully functional, but i guess pitstops are gonna be used more in league racing. and then people keep asking about rain, night and all that.. so useless :) give it a 100% use of what we have already. and also this year i bet they have several things to add, other than flags and better penalty system. it's just a matter of time.

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  4. norbs

norbs Alien

With regards to back markers and lapped traffic.

There is a reason they are back there. Simply put, they aren’t as good as the guys at the front. I am not being harsh, I am one of those back markers in our league races at times.

I think you need to make it as easy as possible for guys like me, because I am having a big enough issue staying on track, let alone trying to keep up with a flag system.

Trying to look out for flags trackside will be too much for my pea brain to cope with, and I will be likely to make a mistake and take out more people. Give me a blue LED in car or a signal that is easy to see and I will know I need to let guys pass.

Obviously there will be an outcry from some of the elite, but we have all paid for the game, and if you don’t want me spearing off the track in front of you, it is best to make it easier for the lesser drivers out there. Especially if there are 3 or 4 guys battling together that are getting lapped.

Christopher Low and Quffy like this.
  5. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

Flags are a system mostly used for MP anyway, and didn't Kunos state that a small percentage of users actually race online, but that many users simply haven't even navigated to the online tab?
    There have been a few situations in SP that have warranted a yellow flag, but the minimap shows slower cars moving slowly, and after lap 1 you know somewhere out there is a limping car, so you know to keep an eye out for it.

Considering the SP focus that Kunos has at the moment, I don't think we'll see flags anytime soon.

And whats more is a yellow flag is NOT a penalty system, it is merely a warning to the driver that there is a much slower vehicle ahead. So Kunos may implement the warning fairly quickly, but this does not solve our penalty system issues.

Considering this thread was created in an attempt to discuss a reasonable and efficient way of implementing a different, but better penalty system, why are so many people focused on flags?
    I mean how many times have you lapped an AI(that wasn't wrecked and limping)? How many track cutters are there in a single lobby that you can't simply boot them(I mean you know exactly who is cutting and who isn't simply by participating in the race).

While it would be nice to have an intelligent and dynamic system that works well, there are many places in AC that could use optimization before adding NEW FEATURES.

We did get a pit tho, as stated earlier, so who knows if Kunos will cave and eventually provide us with the system you all so fervently seek.

Quffy likes this.
  6. Minolin

This was once a very fine thread regarding some serious thoughts about how to handle the question of penalty triggers and method.
    Now we're back at blue flags. I really hate you. This absolutly destroys my motivation to spend hours of work to get something done.

7. norbs

norbs Alien

Are you new to the internet mate?

Joao Alves likes this.
  8. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

...I gave an idea a few pages ago...sorry for defending my stance on flags. Why don't you get us back on track? (Punny)

9. Minolin

Back on the track? Let's try this:

A) You have a new idea?
    - check at least this thread, if it's really new (this is why I am that angry about this off-topic ****, it get's more time consuming and less helpful to browse around)
    - think about it for a minute before you post
    - ensure, this is really an possible answer to the original question
    - anticipate, what weaknesses the others could answer
    - try to work out as many details as you can
    - repeat once after adding some more details and thoughts
    If you still think this is worth a contribution, please post it.

B) You have an opinion, enhancement or critism to an idea already posted?
    - check at least this thread, if it's really new (this is why I am that angry about this off-topic ****, it get's more time consuming and less helpful to browse around)
    - think about it for a minute before you post
    - ensure, this is really an possible answer to the original question
    - anticipate, what weaknesses the others could answer
    - try to work out as many details as you can
    - repeat once after adding some more details and thoughts
    If you still think this is worth a contribution, please post it.

C) Write whatever you want, but please don't click the "Post Reply" button. You might consider open a personal conversation to somebody (not a dev) to further discuss or question things.

PS:
    Sorry for disregarding C with this post.

PPS:
    a.r.e.s: Didn't find your thought, sorry. Went through all 19 pages.

10. The implementation of flags may improve things to a certain extent, but they are certainly not going to solve all of the problems. The simple fact remains that some drivers online hate being overtaken, even when they are being lapped. I have seen so many accidents caused by idiots weaving about in a desperate attempt to stop others passing them. It's quite pathetic. I hate blocking in sim racing. I hate it so much that I don't even use it the one time that modern rules permit. I just think that it is disrespectful to someone who has made a better exit of a corner than you, or can outbrake you (provided that it isn't a clueless dive bomb down the inside with no hope of stopping).

Ben Lee and tabis like this.
  11. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

Is the flags mean you get a black flag for jumping the start - speeding in the pits and getting DT penalty? ;)

Goddamn, the game would be complete with that!

12. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

Wow does this thing work. I encourage other users to try it out and see if they can cut Monza without gaining points.

I've already talked with @Minolin and plans are to keep a dynamic "leaderboard" of 3 - 5 of the drivers with the most points also displayed in app. This way we can all see whos cutting the most in MP and have a legitimate reason to kick them. How many times are you driving and see a kick request(or 8 in a row) but don't really know why? Well now we have some info to provide drivers who may not witness the events so they can also vote to kick.

Keep it up @Minolin I'm on board for this solution, lets get it up on all tracks!

13. Or have a broken front windshield, even in formulas hahaha how funny is that

14. Romain F

Romain F Rookie

I check Minolin's system tonight.

EDIT: I can't see/enable any "Cutters" app in the apps list while racing. Is it normal? Did i miss something, considering i didn't really understand:
    • This algorithm is based on the SplineNormalizedPosition, which seems not to be available for other players as well.
    I thought it just meant the app wouldn't detect when my opponents are cutting, but not sure now... Do i have to install something else too?

A.r.e.s, after having played games that have flags implemented, i think they are important because they bring motor racing rules in the game. Otherwise it's like playing a soccer game without penalty, corner and offside rules...

Of course, Kunos is free to make Assetto Corsa rather a « simulation » or a « racing game ». But the game being branded as a simulator, it creates some expectations. I guess noone would ask flags if the game was branded like NFS, Trackmania or Wreckfest.

Even if some other sims (or pretending) like Gran Turismo don't have flags, having flags would provide AC a competitive advantage...

In many games you would see a 3 or 4 cm wide flag standing on some corner of the screen, like the checkered flag is displayed in AC, btw. You might also recieve a spotter voice message such as « You are getting overlapped ». In many series, real race drivers have the flags displayed on their wheel also. The way flags are implemented is indeed an interesting debate, but there are several solutions.

Nowadays, many drivers don't realize (or don't want to know) that they are going to be overlapped and drive defensive lines like if they were defending their race position... I can hardly blame them since there is no way to really know if the opponent is in the same lap or not.

Maybe we should split the thread and/or open a « flags » thread ?

A broken front wing would dissuade some drivers to be too aggressive/push the car before. It would be quite realistic too, since those pieces don't look as strong as the main body of the car.

Yes pit-stops are for league events mostly. Considering how few players are able to complete a 10 laps race in public servers, it's not a surprise they don't use pit-stops much. But they might need pit-stops to fix their damaged car in a 10 laps race, which i already seen many times.

I raced endurance races in another game, with pit-stops, driver swaps and nightfall. I'd be glad to organize some in Assetto Corsa but we need the tools first. Anyway, it's a second step after GP size league races and yes, we can't ask for everything at the same time (although knowing if such features are in the plans or not in the long run would be appreciated).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  15. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

The app is only usable on Monza at the moment, it should appear near the bottom of the list, after you enable it in the general settings.

I think the statement you embolden means that it currently only works for you, not other drivers. This is a very early attempt at the app, with revisions incoming.

16. Minolin

A.r.e.s: You will love that. Please remove the last app before extracting this (case sensitive changes).

This version will use geometry only (x,y,z) and will do this for all players available. You should have a simple gui window like that:

View attachment 48735

As soon as somebody "scores", his name will be in this Top3 list. Followed by his total rating, in brackets the last single rating "earned".
    The catch for v2: This time it works only in spa, and only in the second part of eau rouge (lefthanded exit). Not the brightest decision, I know - but I needed something where I'd not have to wait for hours until I see a real cutter.

Known bugs or missing features:
    - only 1 corner
    - doesn't reset when a) player leaves or b) session restarts
    - I'm almost sure I calculate it the wrong way. You seem to get a higher rating if you're quite near the track (~4) and less when you cut more

I will finish this on my own, but this will last a while (have a job :) ). If some people lend my a hand we'll have this ready in a couple of days.
    Jobs:
    - python gui who could help me with parsing a csv-file (with the redlines defined in it) into my python redline object; simple isolated function
    - volunteers who help me defining the redlines. (just park at both ends and write down the position, have an debug app for that)
    - tests on the track / in mp
    If you're interested, please let me know via pm.

A.r.e.s. likes this.
  17. Romain F

Romain F Rookie

I actually just forgot to activate the app in the main menu. :oops:

I finally tested (1st version), at Monza ofc. It works fine for "big" cuts (for instance straight forward at first chickane), but i confirm some issues Minolin stayed. If you are kicked or make a mistake, you can get a higher rating than for some intentional cuts. Some intentional cuts can even give no rating at all (typically, if you cut close to the kerb without touching it). In a slow chickane, even if the cut is detected it will often lead to a small rating (i guess it's due to low speed and small distance), but such a cut can provide a significant advantage. If you drive near the kerb you're sometimes not caught at all. I think those small chickane cuts could/should be punished harscher (but it might be an opinion from a strict league driver - I used to consider kerbs as offtrack).

I would've liked what happen if i run wide, but Monza doesn't suit very much this case (no turn with asphalted runoff).

I try to check the new version tomorrow.

18. Minolin

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    A.r.e.s. likes this.
  19. 4yrton Senn4

4yrton Senn4 Simracer

Cutting track should damage your car ( suspension etc etc ) so bad that you can't keep a normal race pace ! Also you should get less grip for a certain amount of time !

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  20. Joao Alves

Joao Alves Racer

That works super well for people that just make a mistake...