1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Progressive system penalty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darcy Callai Junior, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

I have invested quite some time, and got less pessimistic.

The cool:
    1) The penalty is reduced to dangerous zones. No more going out on the straight, getting slowed and probably causing an accident because of that.
    2) The zones will - when triggered - give you different scores of penalty = seconds you need to cut the gas. This is partially true for single corners, you can cut monza t1 on different ways to get 5 - 20s penalty time.

The bad:
    - Finetuning, but this is a quite usual process
    - Braking currently counts to the slow down time, which isn't that good imho
    - The chosen path is pretty good, but can't end in a perfect solution

The system will never satisfy your "customers" (serious people like leagues), Wally. But it's better than the 5s because tyre-out one.

ears1991 likes this.
  2. my thoughts is that is should be replaced also for a better and simple system,

Why not use the delta, so know how much you gained in a corner you cut and just make the driver lift throttle till he looses that amount of time,
    and if he corsses the finish line without giving away that time, make it make a drive through, in 3 laps , and before race finish, if not then black flagged,

That is my suggestion for penalty system

MAUZERIS[LT] and Rui Santos like this.
  3. Minolin

Exploitable too easy. For the quality of the penalty system the delta is #1 (and fairly simple), but the question is "which delta"?

Your recorded best lap? Gives you a lot cutting potential for not-so-perfect conditions
    Your session's best lap? What do you do in your first lap? And what if you (as a professional cutter) start cutting the same corners in the first lap?
    Another player's lap? What if he's faster than you? What if he's slower?

Edit: Ah, and you could exploit the penalty system to negate an early mistake by cutting a later corner

ears1991 likes this.
  4. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

What is simple to explain may be not so simple to implement.

5. for pro cutters the system should be made that if you cut 3 times or more then get a drive through.
    And the delta should be you session best, if you are faster in that section than you can do in a clean lap then means you gain time, otherwise you lost by cutting or at least didn't gain what you could by dooing a proper corner. first lap could just be counted as one of those 3 cuts to get a drive thourgh.

May not be easy to implemente what other can do it, why not them

6. Minolin

This is an incentive to cut/exploit the system 2 times, just like drawing a line. Sry, nope.
    I'm ok with some special treatement for too many detected cuts; but every cut has to be penalized.

So if I cut the first two laps I'm fine? @Monza T1 this is something like 20 seconds, allowed by the design of the system.

But how can you tell what was a cut without reference time (= reference delta)?
    The personal record reference might be too fast, so you can still cut T1 and slow down until you're in your personal record time, ignoring grip, fuel or tyres. (Edit: or manipulated local files)

ears1991 likes this.
  7. Stefano has already said he isn't spending any time on a system that gives somebody a freebie, much less three of them.

ears1991 and Minolin like this.
  9. Minolin

This is why this topic is called progressive penalty system; and overall why it's so ****ing difficult.
    Of course I wanted to say "every intentional cut that leads to some unfair advantage has to be penalized". Opposed to "why don't really know, so you may cut 2x before the same logic applies".

10. WallyM

WallyM Alien

AKA ”the way they do it in real life”.

martcerv likes this.
  11. Real life gives you three free cuts a race? Who knew? I had no idea that was a universal rule that was enforced by all sanctioning bodies. (Somebody might want to let the SCCA know about that; in their series you will receive a black flag if you blow a chicane and don't come to a complete stop)

Oh, and here is a protip: We are playing a video game, this isn't real life racing no matter how much you tell yourself otherwise. There are differences between the two and determining fault is one of the biggies.

tommi karsikas likes this.
  12. if penalty system stays as is my the best protip for me is to disable the penalty system

13. martcerv

martcerv Alien

For league racing wally's plp is still the best option. Amongst fair and honest drivers thats a good system. Anyone abusing such a system would be dealt with within a league anyway.

For public servers if we cam at least have a workable system that gives no gain for huge cheat cuts and doesnt penalize pthers for running off track with no gain then this will be ok.

I will try the penalty at monza tomorrow in a public server and see if that track is now useable with the current system. The old penalty was useless there as the first 2 chicanes even with the slowdown gave blatant cheats a huge gain.

14. Minolin

Exactly. This is ”the way they do it in real life”.
    Public or little moderated servers aren't really comparable to real life (but lol, I'd go watching this the whole day).

15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Hardcore Simmer

WTF??? Of course you don't have three cuts "to use", who is the retarded that is going to waste them in a 60 minute race and at the end if something go wrong (for avoiding an accident for example) you're black flagged? I think everybody understands that the three cuts are to prevent people from cutting and behave the entire race! That's what the penalty system says to me! It's only in emergency cases or errors!

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  16. Yeah, because league racing competitive sim-racers would never game the system for an advantage....I'll have whatever you are smoking.......:rolleyes:

17. Rui Santos

Not sure if you're talking at me, anyway it's their responsability, i wouldn't do it, believe me ;)

18. Minolin

But if you "allow" 2 cuts, they will be used by somebody who is optimizing within the rules in order to win. You wouldn't? Bad luck for you, others will be faster.
    I'd prefer a system where I'm in a perfect condition without abusing game mechanics.

19. Well then, since nobody would ever exploit the rules there isn't even any sense in having a penalty system at all. I'm sure Stefano will be more than glad to forgot all about it and move on to the next pain in his ............

20. Rui Santos

Well if you do some stupid huge cuts (like monza first chicane) of course in that situation a league staff will penalize the driver, we're supposing everybody behaves on track, i'm talking about slight cuts or going too wide on corners, not about stupid people in public servers...