1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

XB1 Why such a bad optimization?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by evgenyserdyuk, Oct 5, 2016.

1. I'm not a fan of Arcade Racing, but since I own a Xbox, I purchased a Forza 3 Horizon, and I was very delighted with the graphics on the Xbox, it is almost identical with PC. She looks fantastic, and it's all in 1080 p and a steady 30 fps.

I know that AC 60 fps on consoles, but judging by the tests there is no 60 fps, 40-50 fps, with graphics 10 times worse than FH3. And it's not an open-world, is a closed circuit, with 16 machines, without traffic, flat-topped audience and flattened trees.

So why do so? The developers promised to schedule no worse than on the PC, but actually we get ugly graphics, no leaderboards, no online, and very little functionality.

I bought the full version Assetto Corsa, but I can't play it with friends, I can only ride one, or with AI on the highway. When the FPS often falls and from the graphics you want to cry. And only physics and FFB was wonderful, but this is not enough.

2. I guess you've never developed/ported a game yourself? And I also presume you haven't realised the size difference it terms of budget and personnel between Turn 10 and Kunos?

I think if this wasn't the case you wouldn't be asking such a ridiculous question...

3. Optimizing games affects budget? Example Project Cars where the graphics are much better, and they had a small budget. Project Cars I could forgive drawdown FPS, because there very good graphics

4. Budget, staff, timescale, and many other factors. Don't assume 'optimising' happens by magic; it requires a lot of time and testing, which absolutely costs money - if you think it doesn't then there is no reasoning with you.

5. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Assetto corsa's console port to both consoles was done by a grand total of three people versus several dozen for SMS and over a hundred for Turn 10. Kunos have some fantastic programmers but little experience for consoles, its their first console title and ac has a very robust physics system which as a result uses a lot of resources so having a perfect run is very wishful thinking. Im not saying it isnt a problem but you have to respect that its not easily done especially with their man power which is massively lower then other racing titles.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  6. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I think the guys behind SMS have knowledge about console games from Need for Speed - Shift. I know that it doesnt matter to the customer, but it can be an explanation.

HorstS likes this.
  7. bromstarzan

bromstarzan Hardcore Simmer

I'm just guessing here, but I would assume AC carry out a lot more math to deliver the physics as compared to any arcade game where FPS and visuals come first. In sim-titles, the math comes first. And from there it works its way into the graphics with a lot of balancing to make the visual presentation as immersive as possible. Many arcade devs work the other way around, trying to balance the physics to make it good enough to accompany the strong graphic presentation. Makes sense?

So in other words it is optimized - with regard to the algorithms that handle the simulation aspects. Sorry to hear that the xbox version isn't top-notch. Perhaps it will be better giving it some time and patches.

Tomcul, ashasha and paul_wev like this.
  8. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I don't get it...
    You own AC and all dlc on the pc, yet you bought it for X1 and now you complain about the console version?
    U trolling?

KWILD, paulieGTR, Matt White and 4 others like this.
  9. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Maybe he have buddies that play on console.

10. I have a weak PC and I are not very comfortable to play behind the monitor. I prefer to play in the living room with a large tv and wheel.
    But I support developers buying DLC on PC, the more they get out sooner on the PC.

11. I understand, but us promised to schedule is not worse than the PC version, and did not compete on functionality. But we got is not what expected.

12. I live in Kazakhstan, and my lobby empty, I see a list of 20-30 sessions, but there is not a single person there.

It seems to me that online is divided by region, or something like that.

13. schmron

schmron Racer

Also on PC?

14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

F*cking A of course optimization affects budget...hate to sound like a 12 year old but LOOOOOOL.

No, seriously: optimization is like the mastering in music production: it costs a fortune, is highly underrated and the guys doing it will have to overcome flaws that happened earlier in the process. The outcome is that your product will both BE and SELL a lot better than without it.

I am familiar with software creation (did it for my bachelor's thesis in the automotive sector) and I know first hand that even the most professional coders will oversee their own mistakes and unefficient solutions. What you need is a fresh brain to double-check your work. They don't even need to understand the algorithms and what's behind all it but only need to understand programming. They look through each function/module and eliminate redundant loops, if- and switch-case instructions etc.

A software house with lots of money and manpower will employ one (2, 3, x) person to write routines to test the software for unusually high host computer workload. I'd say Turn 10 will and Polyphony certainly do this.

All of the above Kunos can't possibly achieve like bigger studios can. It might be frustrating but at the same time it's perfectly plausible and won't change too soon.

garyjpaterson likes this.
  15. Xbox

16. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

Funny how all that doesn't effect retail price .haven't got the staff or budget to produce a game like T10 but charge full price anyway. Good job buying a new car doesn't work by the same principles other wise we'd all be driving hyper cars.

MBK72 and TeKnO-_-91 like this.

17. sad to hear it, they had a lot of time that would bring the game into a presentable appearance, but they did not. I have always enjoyed how the game looks and works on the PC. But seeing how it works on consoles seem to work completely different people who are absolutely still as it will work on consoles

18. TeKnO-_-91

TeKnO-_-91 Racer

i wouldn't say its 10 times worse, most of the cpu is taken from the physics engine with ac so that would explain why the graphics aren't as good as ''forza'' what ever that is. plus the xbox is the least powerfull.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  19. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

No reasoning behind that. A small company that produces low charge numbers can never be cheaper than a large company with huge charges. It's the same in the furniture business, automotive and pretty much any other industry. The low quantity producers also usually have worse quality than the high quantity producers. This is not an exclusive situation for AC, at all.

20. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Do you know this or are you just guessing?