1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

A Question about clutch

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by neimadmax, Apr 10, 2016.

1. neimadmax

neimadmax Racer

Is there any way to edit something in the game to make street cars start moving when releasing the clutch like real life?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Question? Apr 26, 2024
    ACC General Discussions Small question about time multiplier / offline Apr 16, 2024
    ACC General Discussions Assetto Corsa Competizone Logo Use Question Oct 10, 2023
    Chit Chat Room 3 questions Oct 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Very Stupid question Sep 23, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Questionable ACC Server Reliability Aug 13, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple screen and gsync question Jun 24, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Question regarding legality of organizing paid-entry races and offering cash prizes in Assetto Corsa Apr 25, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Straightforward question about server creation Apr 15, 2023
    ACC Physics Question about MoTeC channel "ROTY" Apr 7, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Setting Question with Trackir Mar 19, 2023
    Sounds modding QUESTION FOR HORN ABOUT FMOD SOFTWARE Nov 7, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Thrustmaster TS-XW Steer Lock question Sep 25, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting two questions in one Sep 16, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room License request question Sep 15, 2022

3. Kyo

Kyo Racer

It's possible as it is, but the engagement point is a lot more shallow than you're probably used to in a street car.

neimadmax and stefanoCasillo like this.
  4. As Kyo says it's perfectly doable, just needs a little practice, like the real car.. actually it's a bit harder than real (modern) cars for a couple of reasons:

1) There is no movement feedback on the body to let you know the car is starting to move.
    2) There are some additional forces added to the car body to keep it from vibrating at zero speed.. so there's this initial obstacle to overcome
    3) Modern cars require no work on the gas pedal to get moving because the onboard computer is managing it for you to avoid the stall, so you can start just by releasing the clutch. This is not simulated in the game so you'll have to treat it like an "old" car

But regardless of this.. any human with no physical disability and a bit of practice should be able to start smoothly using the clutch in AC.

neimadmax likes this.
  5. grat

grat Simracer

@Lord Kunos , I suspect that @neimadmax was wondering whether you can start without any use of the throttle, as for your point 3. So I guess the answer could be "no, because the onboard computer managing throttle at start is not completely simulated, but it is sufficient to tab the throttle a bit for a smooth start (but see points 1 and 2 for some small extra difficulties).

Ma sentiti libero di dirmi che non ho capito nulla. ;)

neimadmax and stefanoCasillo like this.
  6. @grat you are totally correct.. I am actually wondering how hard would it be to simulate such a system in AC.,, ,hmmm.. probably not that hard.

neimadmax, Glaurung and grat like this.
  7. kikie

kikie Simracer

So if I understand correctly, the OP is asking to start driving when releasing the clutch, without tapping (using) the throttle, and not stall the enging?

neimadmax likes this.
  8. grat

grat Simracer

Yes. In most cars today it is possible. Indeed, today some teach to park a car using only the clutch and the break, as it is safer. As Lord Kunos said, the reason why it is possible today and was not once is electronics tabbing the throttle for you (although in principle I guess one could do that with just having a very high idle---but maybe I am wrong?)

neimadmax likes this.
  9. modern cars are supersmart.. I remember back in the days when I learned to drive, starting on a hill was pretty tricky.. today, my 500 abarth was holding the brakes for me :-S .

neimadmax likes this.
  10. grat

grat Simracer

Yep, first time I had hill-holder I thought I was so smooth with the new car,... second time around I thought something was broken. Third time I realized. :D

11. I learnt to drive in a carburetted Suzuki SJ, which I think was a 82 model. When slowly slipping the clutch (no throttle, just being very smooth/slow with the clutch), the car would still be able to pull away without the revs taking a dive. Sure they would dip, but would not dive as soon as you being slipping the clutch, which is what I experience in AC.

In AC, If I hold say 3000 rpm (very high), as soon as i begin to slip the clutch, the revs drop dramaticlly. IRL, they should be able to stay at the same rpm without altering throttle input.

I agree that modern cars do tend top hold your hand a lot more, but even with older ones if you were smooth it was still possible to pull away maintianing a contant rpm.

Also your points on having no movement feedback are very true, and I think the additional 0 speed forces do feel strange during the 'transition' between them and normal AC driving.

Mogster likes this.
  12. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I wish the modern auto clutch cars would have anti stall as they have in real life, I find watching the tacho needle fall to 0 is a an immersion breaker. The clutch is always active even in cars without a clutch pedal in rl, although I suppose that's an easy solution to having to model different launch systems though.

I do struggle to pull away smoothly using AC's clutch, even the road cars seem to have the clutch bite of a race car. (I have drive a race prep single seater before anyone asks) Moderate revs that would give sufficient torque see the tacho drop to zero, more gas and I do a drag style burnout...

I love the driving in AC but wish there was a bit more realism regarding mechanical details. I realise starting and stopping is really only a tiny part of the whole driving experience though.

13. kikie

kikie Simracer

Maybe Kunos can address the clutch thing in AC2? :D

Every clutch in AC works similar for each car. It would be very simulation like if every clutch of each car in AC2 works/functions exactly the same as their real life counter part.

neimadmax likes this.
  14. it's one of those things that shouldn't really take that much time... there is no technical reason why it shouldn't be realistic. It's just that, IMO, in a game like AC starting smoothly is something with a super low priority over other things. I'll surely take some hours to look at it and see if it can improved with ease.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  15. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

Can someone please explain what is the best way to start a race with clutch in AC at the moment?

1) High rev, then when green lights appear quickly release the clutch (or slowly?)?

2) Is the optimal procedure the same in every car or does it differ?

3) I realize that sometimes the rev meter falls almost to zero after releasing the clutch and it takes some time to speed up although still in first gear. What was done wrong?

16. Yeah I think its far from perfect, though I agree its not critical - you only start once a session, it does break immersion but I soon forget when I get going :p

17. kikie

kikie Simracer

Not trying to butter things up or to curry favor (hmmm maybe I am a little bit :D) but ................

.......................... this is the correct attitude what sets AC apart from other sims. Me likey!

18. HiTTeR

HiTTeR Gamer

Starts are just damn beautifull comrades, just look at this! this is the way to properly start a race, if you dont have the tool inside the car try to replicate manual, rev the engine to the green zone wait until the signal and release clutch fast in 2 fases to avoid spining, i have no damn idea but try that, it works. Every car is diferent so try it couple times before going into race.

Extra files, for pure motivation of the people here present!

neimadmax likes this.
  19. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

I must admit I feel like a cheater at race starts, because I have the (default) pedal app open and keep an eye on the gas pedal bar, usually something between 1/3 and around half length does the trick. I also press the clutch and release it on go (on manual gearbox cars), sometimes depending on the car letting it slip a little to prevent the engine from bogging down. Not sure if it's placebo but well it kind of works.

@Lord Kunos , if you simulate the "creep forward" when you just engage the clutch a little, then I suspect you have to simulate the engine bogging down and dying if you are not smooth enough.

Could this be part of the ..maybe.. planned "false starts" development? I mean, the car is set on the start line but it's not "locked". You release the clutch too abruptly and the engine dies. You release the clutch a little to engage the gear but if you're not accurate the car creeps forward and you get a false start. Or you're just too nervous and start before the light goes green.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  20. neimadmax

neimadmax Racer

i have not problem to start smoothly in assetto , but i wondered this clutch question because in every modern street car i drove i release about 1/4 ~~1/3 the clutch pedal and the car start run , and i was thinking if was something much sensitive on my clubsport pedals. If i remember well on old Rfactor this clutch thing on the starts works
    you are right , thanks all for replies ,you get it

21. The answer to the question is in the video

why didn't they implement it, I don't know.