1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Anyone think the 'optimum' 100% grip setting could be bad for ac?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Crayfis, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Crayfis

Crayfis Gamer

Hi guys, just wondering why Kunos put the optimum 100% grip setting into AC and made it the stock setting?
    I know this game has all kinds of other driving aids and guides that can be turned on and off, but the optimum grip setting thing I think is quite damaging to the sims reputation. It seems most of the videos of AC on youtube, and the lap records I hear about are set using this setting and thats causing people say how unrealistic AC is.
    Perhaps there should be some kind of on screen notice about the track setting, or the settings should be partitioned off, so that if you are driving in full on sim mode, 'Green' should be the best condition possible for track grip. Anyone have any thoughts?

Tim Meuris, jasjeet, Pascalwb and 5 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Can anyone play the game on XBOX now? Yesterday at 7:15 PM
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone else notice pink (missing textures) and street lights at Monza turning off as you pass them?? Dec 19, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Clear Calibration software logitech - anyone have this? Oct 2, 2023
    ACC Physics Anyone else finding the Alpine being much faster than any other GT4 cars since 1.9? May 30, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions DLC Issues on PS5 that were not an Issue on PS4,,, Can anyone help/answer reach out Dec 9, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Anyone find there is big "depression" on the track in Zandvoort, at this point!!! Jul 5, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone have experienced the same glitch? Apr 27, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Has anyone got the TMX wheel to work in the game yet? Apr 2, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Has anyone been able to use the extra buttons on fanatec gt3 v2 rim or similar? Jan 4, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Anyone feel the FFB in ACC is not as sharp as AC? Is Kunos aware of this? [Nope, never heard] Nov 10, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions anyone ever try the DJI FPV goggles with console gameplay? Jun 27, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Are you anyone driving BMW M6 in ACC? Apr 4, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone done this? Feb 6, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone use a Shifter? Feb 5, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality RTX 3090 SLI for VR ? Anyone tried ? Dec 12, 2020

3. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Optimum grip = noob's don't crash = they don't rage quit = more sold copies = more $ to the KS
    Who can remember when the F40 first came out and the Huayra? both of those cars where on the worst tires by default, omg how people cried in the forum:D KS learned their lesson...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    alex72, Tim Meuris, tabis and 15 others like this.
  4. robertedell

robertedell Gamer

No it is not a bad thing, the majority of people are not that good at driving and need optimum grip and the best tires. They enjoy the game and that is good for everyone.

People that complain about realism should know better, and should understand how to change tires and set the grip level.

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Well optimum is technically as much frip as possible on the track. Its unlikely to be as grippy on the track in real life very often if at all but if you see the average standard in a public server even that is a battle for many.

Regarding setting records then these obviously will be needing to be on an even setting for all. Any other grip setting changes each lal so not much point comparing records on other settings when optimum is where all the fastest times will be.

I do like reduced grip settings but for my public servers I have it at optimum or maybe 95% at the lowest. People struggle enough at 100 and you can also set rsr times if track is optimum. The other grip levels are best to be evolving and not a fixed level. In reality track evolves all the time with weather and amount of traffic so its not a fixed number. Dealing with the changing grip is a great challenge but sadly temp, time and weather dont work in mp sessions only grip build up.

6. I tend to think it's just those coming from certain other slippery feeling games that think the optimum grip setting is unrealistic.

7. TMoney

TMoney Gamer

I've been thinking about this for a while. At minimum, your setting should stay the same and not change to optimum every time. By default I'm fine with optimum for everyone but please let me change it and let it stick.

Mogster and Octane like this.
  8. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

I hate how optimum is presented as some arcade setting? It's not, hey, it can be replicated in real life as well, it's not a damn driving aid.

9. unknwn

unknwn Alien

I think the most unrealistic part of optimum grip is that the whole track has the maximum grip instead of just the racing line. Its impossible to rubberize 100% of the track surface on the real track.:)

If Kunos isn't planning to add true dynamic grip i.e. realroad, maybe they could add fixed racing line which improves the grip in the same way now the whole track improves, while other parts of the track would improve at slower rate and would never reach 100% grip. Wonder if that's worth the hassle for developers.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    SpriGgy, magzire, dasp58 and 4 others like this.
  10. 1karl1

1karl1 Simracer

If it wasn't an option in-game then i'm sure somebody would just leave their PC permanently & do hundreds of laps at each track to rubber them in like a go-kart track & have world records everywhere . The options are there not to use these conditions for us all to use so it's cool the way it is .

HONDAHOLIC and Kristaps like this.
  11. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Would be kind of silly having say the AI line getting more grip then your real race line or the line used by most on track. Then to be fast youd just need to follow this line even if its not the fastest way around the track. I think its better to be all or nothing, full track being effected or a dynamic system kind of like rf2 has.

Associat0r likes this.
  12. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

But, but if you can't rubberize the track, at least you can Rubberize-It! :D

On topic:
    A dynamic grip system would be great. Another thing that would be great is if RSR would stop using the Optimum grip for its lap records as standard on Nordschleife and start using Slow, since that is the setting closer to real Nords and it doesn't improve fast with more laps.

Luca Zari likes this.
  13. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

And btw this is exactly why i hated when they implemented those track choices, even made a rage thread about it. It creates exactly this, a split in community, in lap times, in perception about what's 'real' and what's not. Just have one option whatever it is ffs.. Now if i like comparing with people on RSR i should feel bad for using the Optimum setting..

14. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Rubberized part of the track usually is pretty wide, not just perfect line for the AI or someone else. Thought I agree this kind of implementation might not be worth developers time(even if possible), but sure would add some dynamics.

15. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

In LFS people actually did this:D there was a trick with the tires:rolleyes: fbm/we1

1karl1 likes this.
  16. martcerv

martcerv Alien

In RF2 when I used to run it online all the servers just ran on pretty much drag strips. Such a cool feature and the majority destroyed it by rubbering the track way beyond what was realistic.I dont know how that has changed but as there was a max level of grip for any part of track.

Over time cars had driven everywhere and so rubbered up everything to pretty much 100% which would be the optimum level in AC or likely even higher as the devs probably never expected people to lay rubber on every single piece of tarmac on the track.

Any sim that has wet weather really needs a dynamic line as it needs the line to dry where cars are driving first. Maybe if and when that gets added (maybe AC2) then there will also be a dynamic line.

We dont even have server adjustable weather conditions or see other cars damage so a real road type implementation I dont see in the near future.

yusupov likes this.
  17. unknwn

unknwn Alien

On the other hand optimum grip serves the purpose of AC as hot lapping simulator pretty well, no need to run 50 laps for a hotlap.:D

Pascalwb likes this.
  18. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

How about if instead using Optimum grip, Kunos would introduce anther track grip as Real Road grip at a fixed and unchangeable 95%?

I would very much liked that to be officially in game and used as a standard in Hotlap for those who care for realism, and those who want to just fast and don't care for realism could still use the Optimum setting. At least with a Real Road fixed grip RSR lap times would make more sense in comparison to real life lap times and they would be official, not some track grip mod.

19. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Pascalwb and robertedell like this.
  20. arthur666

arthur666 Alien

I got to drive a track that was pretty much at optimum grip one time. Tudor series had layed tons of rubber at VIR the day before. And the temperature was 80F. It was insane.

I almost never select it in AC, but nice to have the option.

robertedell likes this.
  21. I really wish it was possible to change the default grip. This has got to be added in the future.