1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - 2021-2022-2023-2024 Generic discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by pankykapus, Jan 1, 2021.

1. marph

marph Racer

You could be right. Not too long ago, we saw Aris and Marco together on the Nords and I think it exists an interview where Marco said they would like to do road cars again. But hopefully (if your assumption is right) they keep the focus on racecars aswell.

After_Midnight and sissydriver like this.
  2. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

@marph - did you notice that SRO is now awarding points to the real race teams if they achieve a placement in ACC? You don't turn the wheel back anymore. ACC is so good that it is already enough for something like this, this will be a standard for a long time. AC is still good - it's crazy how much Stefano's systematic approach makes a difference. One person can accomplish so much good (and as we currently see, so much bad). Simply crazy.
    ACC "is enough." What more do you want? There will be no more revolution. Only evolution.

3. marph

marph Racer

Yes I did read about it. We will see how that will evolve.
    Exciting times

sissydriver likes this.
  4. Psit

Psit Alien

AC2.

Edit: Good riddance UE4.0 i hope.

Oblit0r likes this.
  5. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

100% agreed. Hope Kunos will take the chance to design their own engine again. UE has too many downsides.

I doubt the actual drivers are very excited about this. As far as I remember during the races in corona time, the races with pro drivers were quite a ****show and some of them didn't even want to play the game after a couple of rounds anymore.
    Let's be honest, how many real life drivers do you still see in the game? Aside from Perel and Zoechling, I think the number is very close to zero.

6. Jonnela

Jonnela Racer

I'll start by saying that i have no idea how game engine development works. But i'd imagine if they designed a new in house engine it would take years before we see their next project. That is if they wanted to reach the quality of ACC, which is still the best looking sim. Then there is also the insanely fast load times as a bonus which i don't think people appreciate enough haha.

AdamYanek, Whitestar, Echo_29 and 9 others like this.
  7. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Agreed, and then years just sorting it out after a beta release.

I think the only other option would be use another engine, but again would still take a very long time to debug.

8. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

As someone who plays iRacing, I definitely do appreciate the fast loading times. There's just too many aspects of the engine for which they have to rely on third parties that limit the possibilities they have. Marco Massarutto explained this in an interview with Abgefahren way back. He also pointed out that Kunos is not merely a content creator but also want to create technology, because even though UE allowed them to create a game from scratch in a fast way, it also limited them in a lot of ways.

9. Unf

Unf Racer

But why should they change anything? ACC from graphic and physic point of view is totaly masterpiece. All it needs is implement Nord and maybe some new cars - so keeping in mind that license for ACC don't allow to do it... everything they have to do is take ACC, name it differently and put inside Nord + something else than GT3 and GT4 cars if they are also under license permission.

10. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I think you overestimate how positively people think about the graphics. Physics for sure, best out there as of yet, imo. But graphics are actually one of the downsides of the game. The image quality isn't clear, especially not on 1080p screens. Then the hardware required to be able to run it at decent frames and still have a nice looking game is another downfall of this engine. I read people with the latest and best hardware out there currently are struggling to run the game at max quality in VR.
    At first there wasn't even gonna be VR in the game, they had to rely on 3rd parties for it to become possible. Same as triple screen support, atleast as far as I know.

And I hope they strive for something more than just 'implementing Nords and maybe some new cars'. ACC is lacking in terms of online play. For sure, it was never intended to be more than what it currently is (unfortunately), but I hope for an upcoming title that they will create something more serious.

But yeah, what are we talking about anyways. Some vague facebook post that I didn't even read myself because I don't have a facebook account, just expressing my thoughts based on what 2 sentences out of the post that someone just posted here :D We know nothing, we can speculate for sure but in the end we're just gonna have to wait and see.
    Whatever Kunos will present us will definitely be good in a lot of ways, because driving wise, in my opinion, ACC is far ahead of the rest and I expect this will be for upcoming titles aswell, if it's an ACC add-on or an actual new game none of us know yet.

GRFOCO likes this.
  11. Jonnela

Jonnela Racer

Of course, valid points. And us "outsiders" can't obviously know what the internal discussions are. Though that interview was also in 2019, which would have been during what was arguably ACC's lowest point. And the development was seemingly rather turbulent. ACC's status and popularity in the sim racing community exploded later, so who knows if this would have altered their beliefs. If you watch ACC streams or videos, one thing the newer people to the sim race genre always say is how good it looks and sounds. And since it is a business after all having your product look attractive at a first glance is surely a good thing. So i'm just doubting if they could ever reach that state in a reasonable time frame with an in house engine. But i guess we will just have to wait and see :D

12. Unf

Unf Racer

I just like oldschool vision on simulators - where graphic is not more than 3rd priority :) Especially if we are talking about online simulators, where I believe very high details etc. provide problems with game crashing for those who have not high end PC.
    IMO physic is the most important and then stability of connections if this is online game. Then we should talk about graphic and "cookies" here and there. And by that - ACC's graphic looks pretty enough.

13. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Yeah, a lot of things have changed for sure. I put my trust in them though, hoping that they will create their own engine and are not limited by UE. I hope an upcoming title will be a long term project, not just 2-3-4 years but maybe even a decade.
    But we'll see, exciting times for sure.

14. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

James Baldwin drives in an ACR league, Michael O'Brien drives in SimGrid, Andy Soucek went on to help establish an entire esport platform (although not sure how much time he spends on ACC, but he certainly enjoyed it while he had to, even though he was a complete sim virgin), the Ferrari works drivers Nicklas Nielsen, Nick Foster and SAF drivers Kelvin vd Linde and Jordan Pepper have taken part in recent daily races at David's invitation. I know the Bentley boys used ACC to train for the Kyalami 9H back in December. I would expect more activity during the off season, but luckily they seem to remain quite busy when all goes relatively well for them in the real world.

As for UE4, sure it's easy to put the blame on something foreign to us (cough, cough), but it must be added that it also came with a lot of off-the-shelf solutions for features that would otherwise take months or years to develop and flesh out in-house.
    Ultimately the goal was to be able to develop and release a dedicated sim for the GTWCH series in a short time frame with features we set out to deliver that the original AC engine wasn't capable of at the time. With the number of people we had on board, especially specialized in engine development, had we opted for an updated engine, we would probably still be waiting for an early access release for a title that was not even set out to be a continuation or even direct competitor to the original Assetto Corsa.

There are less than a handful of people who can probably tell what might be a good or bad decision in these situations after months and months of R&D, and most of the time it still just comes down to hindsight once you started (or even delivered) a project. As an artist I can certainly only speak of my area, and wouldn't go into making a judgement, so the random people of the interwebs shouldn't either.
    For what ACC was originally set out to be, it has way over-delivered, and for the most part just deserves to be used and driven for what it offers, just like any other sim on the market.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  15. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Yeah, that's still only a few people who play the game in comparison to the amount of real life drivers who participated in the eSports events during the corona lockdown. I doubt the real life drivers would want to play a game instead of doing real racing, the impression I got when watching some of the drivers who also started streaming is that they see this as just a game. Also became quite obvious when a lot of them didn't even finish some of the races and later didn't even turn up for races.
    As soon as the lockdown was over, almost none of them have been streaming and you almost never come across 'famous' names anymore. I'm not saying they think ACC is **** or anything, just saying I never got the impression that they thought of simracing as something serious. Maybe this can change though, if teams will treat this as real racing and the teams and drivers will actively train for it and treat it as something serious.

And you're 100% correct I can't tell what a good or bad decision will be, I'm just saying that from what I've seen in AC1 and how great it runs and how good it can look with some of the mods, I would prefer that over another title that struggles in a lot of ways even with some of the latest hardware.

For sure ACC has over-delivered. I've been playing the game since day 1 of early access and have seen how it's been growing and growing, how bugs have been ironed out, how progress on optimization has been made, how new content has been added and how passionately the devs have been actively sharing their time with us be it through replying on forums or streaming. And that all for probably less than 70-80 euros in total. That's 100% over-delivery.

And I'm not putting the blame on you guys for having to work with an engine that's foreign to you. I'm putting the blame on UE for its limitations, and I hope you want/can/will design your own engine that you can use in the ways you want to use them and make the next title into a long-standing and continuously progressing title. Yes, something (I almost don't dare to say it :D) iRacing like, but then better.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  16. Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader Hardcore Simmer

Follow some of these guys in GTWC on Instagram, they all play it.

17. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I don't really use instagram, but from the 5-6 drivers I just checked none of them really posted anything from ACC aside from Rafeale Marciello who was promoting the new AMG Evo car when it got released.

18. RDGNL

RDGNL Simracer

Nicki Thiim (WEC AMR driver and current world champion) also plays quite a lot :D

19. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Yeah, I know he thinks the game is great, just haven't seen him play it much either since he basically stopped streaming completely after his kid was born and he was fed up with iRacing :D
    Saw him and Zoechling having some fun in ACC from time to time tho in a couple of Christopher's streams.

20. Elrann

Elrann Simracer

And Maro Engel train/play ACC often.

To engine topic - I can’t see into core so I would just speak only from my point of view, however I really love current UE engine. I’ve never experienced any blurness etc. and at my 10 years old PC I am able to have high settings with 55 FPS which is (at least for me) absolutely great. And thanks to UE we have day/night change, rain etc etc. And I really hope that if there be any other AC, it will be based on UE, devs use already developed tools and physics algorithms and just build/improve it. I can just imagine what a nightmare would be to create new in-house engine and recreate/convert all simulations and internal tools which was originally made for UE. Or it would be simple. All what I want say is just that I really enjoy ACC on UE and all the effort from devs!

LATE4APEX and sissydriver like this.