1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Bright sun glare off bodywork possible?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by WallyM, Aug 7, 2016.

1. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Can you achieve these kind of bright, star-like sun glare reflections from the cars' bodywork with post processing, like in this screen shot?

[​IMG]

I've tried playing with glare settings in the PP file, but they only seem to affect the headlights and brake lights.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Very bright colors on sun-reflecting surfaces. Aug 11, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Not sure if Issue, Paul Ricard, at 21hs night still the sun is up and very bright Nov 17, 2018
    Bug reports Inside car super bright dashboard is eye killing Oct 4, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Bright side look on new update XSX Feb 23, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars 488 EVO DRL Brightness Mar 12, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Intensive FreeSync brightness flickering with VA monitor Feb 26, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Clouds too bright under street lamps Feb 15, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Small screen to bright Mar 6, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Overly bright crowds Jan 2, 2020
    ACC User Interface LEDs not bright enough Dec 31, 2019
    ACC User Interface Spam-clicking on credits screen causes it to re-brighten Dec 28, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals TS-PC Racer Ferrari Led Lights to bright Aug 10, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars In-car display brightness at night Aug 7, 2019
    Chit Chat Room How to decrease brightness in multiplayer ? May 18, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Bright lights/Screen dirt Feb 6, 2019

3. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The star glare there would be a lens flare so it would also need something in the pp effects I think. Im sure Ive seen this at some point ingame and it can be interesting for videos and replays trying to simulate a camera. But I personally when racing dont like to see too many effects you wouldnt see with your eyes and only through a camera.

Driving with a dirty helmet visor you see some odd glare and relections too I guess but its something you really dont notice after a while. Take at look at the PP profiles and see if you can make some star lens flares from it. Possibly the movie or photo profiles could do this already.

4. It's possible...
    [​IMG]

That's probably with one of the default PP filters and weathers...

5. WallyM

WallyM Alien

You do see these bright reflections with the naked eye too. I was looking at traffic while driving in the sun, and the real world view has lots more bright highlights in bright sunshine. It made me realise that AC looks quite "flat" on a sunny day, from that perspective. One of the ancient TOCA V8 Supercars games had the effect I'm after, with bright sun highlights, and it looked quite good.

I haven't played with lens flare though, only glare - that might be worth a try.

I tried all the current default PP filters, but none give that effect. That looks like a star effect in the glare settings though. It was probably a custom PP filter for screen shots. It looks pretty good on the bodywork, but then looks way overdone on the brake lights.

6. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Try different hour of day in the game, like 10am. Then put reflections at a higher setting.

7. Reflection settings have no effect on the specular output of the material...they only change the resolution of the cube-map and the frequency at which it's updated.

8. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Yeah, maybe it's a limitation of the material - not enough specular reflection, not bright, tight and intense enough.

9. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Depends on car, and time of day. Certainly possible, and one of the coolest effects. Don't get people who want to turn it off with some custom PP

10. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

its definitely possible, but the downside is you have to suffer star shapes appearing on shift lights, brake lights all of the time. ideally there would be a separate glare section of the fitler applied to the body and to these "light sources" so we could have star shapes exclusively on the bodywork. for me they look so terrible on the brake lights and shift LEDs that i have the star effect more or less off.
    to restore it to my filter i changed these lines (obviously could be fined tuned to look better)
    SHAPE
    STAR_SOFTNESS
    SHAPE_STAR_LUMINANCE
    SHAPE_STAR_LENGTH

e.g.:
    [​IMG]
    looks ok

but now you have to suffer this (probably even more extreme when you dial in the star settings to get it looking good on the bodywork):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my preference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lack of saturation (particularly in brake lights) due to this bug: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...on-in-pp-masively-affects-brake-lights.31314/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    WallyM and Tino66 like this.
  11. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Your car looks good ears. Like you, I don't like the stars on the lights. I'll try your PP filter.

12. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

if you dont like the stars just set the glare quality slider to normal, i do it that way and have no stars

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  13. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

That's actually an official screenshot from Dream Pack 1 release... so very old, not the same PP anymore. However I feel like AC has some problem with these.. because like mentioned, if you get the star glares look great on cars, they get too strong on things like rev lights of Ferrari Italia steering wheel. Wish Kunos did some tweaking there, to put more emphasis on car exterior star glares, less on interior cockpit glares.

WallyM likes this.
  14. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Based on ears' file above, I was able to produce this, which looks pretty good I reckon.

Screenshot_ks_mclaren_p1_tsukuba_circuit_8-8-116-19-54-11.jpg

When racing you get more quick little blinding flashes, reflections of the sun, more like real life. It varies from car to car, depending on the paint finish and material.

This is my glare section. I got bright bloom with no stars by setting SHAPE_STAR_LUMINANCE=0.

[GLARE]
    ENABLED=1
    QUALITY=3
    GHOST=0
    AFTER_IMAGE=0
    PRECISION=0; 0 is the highest, 2 is the lowest
    ; SetGlareAnamorphicLensFlareEnable()
    ANAMORPHIC=0
    ; SetGlareParameters()
    LUMINANCE=2; 1.6
    SHAPE=7
    BLUR=0;1
    THRESHOLD=6.5; 1.8
    ; look at EPFX_GLAREBRIGHTPASS :
    BRIGHT_PASS=1 ; this is 0 or 1
    ; SetGlareBloomFilterThreshold()
    BLOOM_FILTER_THRESHOLD=0.002 ; don't touch this
    ; SetGlareBloomGaussianRadiusScale()
    BLOOM_GAUSSIAN_RADIUS_SCALE=.95 ; don't touch this
    ; SetGlareBloomLuminanceGamma()
    BLOOM_LUMINANCE_GAMMA=1.5
    ; SetGlareBloomNumLevels()
    BLOOM_NUM_LEVELS=0 ; this makes the blur look better, but it cost more as num goes up
    ; SetGlareGenerationRangeScale()
    GENERATION_RANGE_SCALE=1 ; don't touch this
    ; SetGlareStarFilterThreshold()
    STAR_FILTER_THRESHOLD=0.0002 ; don't touoch this
    ; SetGlareStarSoftness()
    STAR_SOFTNESS=0 ;0.2 ; range 0, 1
    ; SetGlareStarLengthFovDependence()
    STAR_LENGTH_FOV_DEPENDENCE=0
    GHOST_CONCENTRIC_DISTORTION=1.0
    ; this enables/disables the following parameters
    USE_CUSTOM_SHAPE=1
    ; LOOK AT PFX_GLARESHAPEDEF for the following values
    SHAPE_LUMINANCE=4; 7.5
    SHAPE_BLOOM_LUMINANCE=0.5; 0.06
    SHAPE_BLOOM_DISPERSION=0.4; 0.02
    SHAPE_BLOOM_DISPERSION_BASE_LEVEL=2
    SHAPE_GHOST_LUMINANCE=0.15
    SHAPE_GHOST_HALO_LUMINANCE=0.005
    SHAPE_GHOST_DISTORTION=0
    SHAPE_GHOST_SHARPENESS=0 ; 1 or 0
    SHAPE_STAR_LUMINANCE=0;0.6; 0; 0.3
    SHAPE_STAR_STREAKS_NUMBER=6
    SHAPE_STAR_LENGTH=0.2; 0.2
    SHAPE_STAR_SECONDARY_LENGTH=1
    SHAPE_STAR_ROTATION=1 ;1 or 0
    SHAPE_STAR_INCLINATION_ANGLE=3
    SHAPE_STAR_DISPERSION=0
    SHAPE_STAR_FORCE_DISPERSION=0 ;0 or 1
    SHAPE_AFTERIMAGE_LUMINANCE=80
    SHAPE_AFTERIMAGE_LENGTH=0.5 ;time in seconds

dermonty and ears1991 like this.
  15. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

@WallyM the downside is that now brakelights look a bit too much. guessing it wouldnt be very easy for kunos to separate these things out

16. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Yeah. I'm going to give it a go though, and see how it looks. It would be good if the bloom could be differentiated by colour - more bloom for white, less for red, although I suppose Yebis would have to support that.

17. system1024

system1024 Rookie

Hi, too much sky bloom. How to remove sky bloom and keep bright flares?