1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Design Studio uses my Skins to promote their work! legal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Stadtaffe, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Stadtaffe

Stadtaffe Hardcore Simmer

Hey Guys,
    as some of you know i produce some skins for AC in my freetime.
    You can find some of them in my thread: Stadtaffe's Skins

Some time ago i found a designpage on facebook and discovered a picture of the two 2013 audi apr daytona liveries. I directly thaught there is something wrong.
    I compared them with my apr skins and look there: those are mine. The #52 has a mistake on the roof: the white forms are missing.
    also every other sticker looks exact the same and is in the same position as on mine ( i'm sure that is not a coincidence).
    The first pictures he released on his fb are from the 28th of february, i released my skins on 13th of february o_O

I wrote with the guy and told him to remove the pictures. He did on fb but on his homepage he still uses that picture.
    He says that he has the permission from apr to use their liveries.
    And i don't have their permission to use and release copyrighted things from apr.

What do you think about this? Is it ok to use others work to promote his own studio?
    Would like to hear what kunos thinks about this. He uses their 3D model (i'm sure without their permission).

This situation demotivates me a bit, because i do that for free in my freetime.
    And then others use it to promote themselves and make money with it.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room we are in the design of a force feedback pedals. Jan 20, 2024
    ACC Physics Track designations Apr 22, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Button Box Design Input Jul 19, 2022
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Z1 Designer Mar 30, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Start new race accidentally (design issue) and AI car stalls on grid Sep 8, 2020
    ACC Physics Tires resettign to ideal when pressing restart. (Tought it to be an issue - works as designed) Feb 15, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Additional headlights - wrong design Nov 25, 2019
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Your Livery Designs Jun 25, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Driver Designations Jun 9, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Career design and rule desicions Jun 1, 2019
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Tyre model | DTM 2018 from UnitedRacingDesign Jan 24, 2019
    Screens & Videos Assetto corsa is not designed to manage day/night... OH WAIT! Jan 22, 2019
    ACC User Interface Small design change suggestion Nov 30, 2018
    ACC General Discussions ACC - Sound Design Mar 23, 2018
    Chit Chat Room "TIL the design team for the Ford GT found the 458 Speciale to be best sports car in the world and" Jan 26, 2017

3. Ferdi

Ferdi Hardcore Simmer

Afraid that he's not doing anything illegal.

You don't hold the rights to the livery and therefor you can't grant permission for others to use it. That you replicated someone else's work doesn't make it yours either, as harsh as it sounds (it's appreciated though!).

The moral side of it is wrong ofc, he's being a bit of a douche by using other people's work to promote his own.

I would contact APR and see if they could help you and see if he did in fact ask for their permission.

4. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

wich brings you to the correct direction:

And here comes the @Licensing Master . The AC Pro with moddable content isn't that cheap, so probably not ^^

I totally feel with you, but honestly you shouldn't care. As a private person you're almost unable to enforce copyright claims, although painting (e.g. liveries) is a worth a copyright (which you ofc. violated in before).

If you throw modded content to the community, always be sure that you can live with
    a) nobody cares
    b) support suddenly is gone
    c) you don't gain any social status
    d) somebody else does copy/continue your work and gets all the chicks

Not a rule of course, but it makes you more happy.

Festa_PWR likes this.
  5. formulaHEINE

formulaHEINE Hardcore Simmer

It could be illegal, if he uses a ripped 3D model of the Kunos R8 LMS with the same UV mapping to render his images. I doubt the AC mapping of the R8 LMS would fit on an other 3D model, unless he and Kunos use the same source. But this might be a way.

PhenOm likes this.
  6. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

As people above suggested, I'd make sure to get in contact with marco or someone else of the dev's to make sure using Kunos' 3D model is legal (for that dude).
    You aren't doing anything wrong since you're just recreating the livery (without taking any payments for it/selling it).
    Sadly enough, sometimes you have to deal with people that have the moral of a peanut. But if it's illegal to use Kunos' 3D model Karma will eventually get him. ;)

7. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

Legally speaking I doubt you are right. For exemple if somebody makes a remix of the Rolling Stones without their consent, they may prevent its diffusion or claim damages, but certainly not use the remix as their own work.

@Stadtaffe - I'd suggest to ask him to credit you for the skins on his homepage.

8. Ferdi

Ferdi Hardcore Simmer

Which is exactly the point. Stadtaffe never had the rights to begin with, so legally speaking nothing can be stolen.

9. Stadtaffe

I am aware of this and i have no problem someone use my skins ingame and to take pics.
    But to promote someone else o_O? I said to him if apr has a problem with my skins, they can easily contact me, maybe i will ask them.

I don't want to be credited by this guy. He uses some dubious sources and steal work from others.
    This guy wants to be a professional designer o_O. i doubt it.
    he gets all the fame through a better known designer.

10. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Well, I'm a bit confused how this VRDDesign studio can advertise their livery in alleged contract by APR Motorsport (Or APR Deutschland as it says on their homepage) if they advertise their work with a livery they quite apparently didn't make. If they're contracted they have the data already but apparently they used Stadtaffe's skin at least for this render as the real car indeed has some differences.
    http://www.goapr.com/media/photos/72157607600950914/8388896829/Original/

Something's definitely iffy here, even apart from the stealing the livery thing. I wonder if APR knows that this studio claims to have made their livery.

Have to fully agree with the licensing issue, there's nothing that can be legally done about your reproduction of something you didn't own licensing rights of in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  11. Stadtaffe

He wrote me that he has the permissions from the original designer to use their skins and their designs.
    So no, he isn't the original creator of those skins.

Edit: I recreated both version (the "preseason" and the offical used in the race). vrd used my version of this one:
    http://www.eurocarnews.com/media/pictorials/2594/16521.jpg

12. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

So they're still advertising their work with something they didn't make. o_O