1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Do not you miss squealing brake pads noise?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by charlyv8, Jul 16, 2016.

1. charlyv8

charlyv8 Racer

All these things make a game realistic

claudiopolez and menos | M6 like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Simrig SR2 motion system - telemetry data support missing in ACC Friday at 12:27 PM
    ACC User Interface Multiclass visual differentiation missing? Apr 14, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Missing information in ACC Server Admin Handbook Version 1.10.0 Apr 3, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Broadcasting API is missing track data for the Nürburgring Apr 1, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Missing 2020 season in the championship mode Feb 25, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Missing cars in GT2 solo races Jan 26, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone else notice pink (missing textures) and street lights at Monza turning off as you pass them?? Dec 19, 2023
    ACC Gameplay (Fixed) 296 Missing in Intercontinental Championship Oct 13, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Assetto Corsa and Assetto Corsa Competizione, physic mesh missing part May 6, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Audi R8 LMS Evo and Evo II missing bolt Dec 26, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting missing GT4 championship Dec 21, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Missing gamepad settings for gas Nov 27, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds I seem to be missing ks_spa!! Nov 14, 2022
    ACC Tools Commission flag software ? Jul 24, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Kunos Competition Servers@ACC: Incident Report missing Jun 23, 2022

3. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

*Do you not ;)

And yes, I certainly do. I really hope Kunos will add this to the race/tuner cars in the course of implementing the brake temperature simulations.

The sound design of some of the cars in the recent DLC packs (like the SCG003C, F138, Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4) already show they're making progress, constantly improve the sounds and give them more depth. Brake squealing would take that even further.

claudiopolez and Seria17hri11er like this.
  4. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

I reckon that it is very hard to "simulate" soundwise because the brakes don't squeal every time (at least not in the video you posted). In R3E for example, it's always the same sound - in every car (IIRC). Although it's nice to have - respectively it would be nice to have in AC, I can image that this solution does not live up to Kunos' standards.

Mogster likes this.
  5. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Iirc it tends to be cold brakes that squeal under certain conditions. Having the brakes squeal constantly just seems daft and could get a bit annoying.

Didn't the dev's remove the brake squeal sound from the modern cars a while ago?

6. MadMatt

MadMatt Gamer

iRacing does it. And i miss some other things too. A proper tire simulation at least. Some things like a simple roll over are not possible in AC At the current state of development ´cause a not complete simulation of the tires.

7. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

I personally don't think using resources to simulate my ride rolling over, is of much importance, since my race is obviously done well before the car even starts to roll.

LATE4APEX

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  8. Mostly when cold... Hawk HP+ on the street for example makes you think a train is stopping by :D

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  9. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I personally really like the squeaking brakes effect.

10. djtopa

djtopa Hardcore Simmer

Yes,I would love that bit only if I can adjust the volume.For example I hate loud default tyre noise so I adjusted the volume of them down its unrealistic if they are too loud compared to engine noise,exhaust from inside car.

Alistair McKinley likes this.
  11. Linus27

Linus27 Simracer

Yes to squeaking brakes here also.

12. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

...\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\audio.ini
    Code:
    [LEVELS]
    BRAKES=1.0
    We just need the sounds again.

djtopa likes this.
  13. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

It would need to be really well implemented or else it would simply become quite grating, ala tire noise in Gran Turismo.

Mogster likes this.
  14. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

It can be used as an aid too. Often in the past I have used the level of the squeal to determine how hard I am pushing down on the pedal. It just gives a additional point of reference. Of course not all cars brakes squeak in real life.

15. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Or all the time... :rolleyes:

It's like the squeaky suspension, in moderation it's a realistic effect and adds a bit of depth to the sounds, when it happens constantly it quickly becomes repetitive though. If the brake squeaking indicated low brake temp then that would be useful and somewhat realistic.

Alistair McKinley and djtopa like this.
  16. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Who is even asking for brakes to squeal every time when braking and be overly annoying?

- Steel and carbon-ceramic racing brakes should squeal a little while when not on temperature as they do in real life, nothing more, nothing less.
    - Brake temperature simulation to base it on will already be in place
    - Sound design can give the sounds some more natural variation and depth
    - Brake audio volume is already in place and players who are annoyed by brakes squeal can turn it down
    - For multiplayer it doesn't necessarily need to be transferred to other players and burden the network (just like temperature-dependant brake glow)
    - Instead just be played in the car to immerse the player a bit more and - most importantly - give an cue about cold brakes through the audio.

Really don't see the issue.

17. ouvert

ouvert Alien

throw in few parameters and it won`t be every time and won`t be the same every time :)
    isiMotor is using I think 4 parameters for it (pressure, speed, how it blends and how it fades) .. so you get from low to high pitch sounds that volume is depending on brake pressure and speed and at certain speeds (car/brake dependable) it is fading .. not super sophisticated but if you throw in temperature might be just enough .... sometimes in the future if they decide ..

18. menos | M6

menos | M6 Hardcore Simmer

I still remember the days of heavily modified SimBin GTR2, racing endurance sports cars.
    One of my must have mods I would always have installed was a brake squeal mod.
    Back then it was not sophisticated, so you would basically install a mod which applied a brake squeal sound (cleverly mixed, so it would not entirely sound annoying and generic) and would adjust the brake sound volume to a rather low level so the brake squeal sound would blend in.

It was there but it would not stand out - back then it added in immersion. I would love to have something like this (or now with a new level of sophistication with values of brake temps, random sound files, varied volumes, fade in/ out, …).
    Race car brakes do squeal under a myriad of different conditions, same as race cars do rattle, squeak and transfer debris sounds directly into your ear channel as of lack of sound deadening materials.
    These sounds do immerse in a simulation.

Of course I could imagine especially a company as say Ferrari being rather unwilling to have their race cars simulated with sounds they rather not convey to be made by their products that have a rather negative implication to be heard in production vehicles ;-)

I want my race cars to rattle, squeak and squeal, my exhaust sounds to be nasty and goosebump-inducing, my induction noise to be ear channel vacuum sucking and my underfloor sounds to be scratchy, gritty while stones hitting the fenders in a noisy fashion when running over a patch of track after a car ahead has reentered the track after a shunt.
    Btw - where are stone chip sounds when racing tight behind another car that picks up debris? Ever driven on the Autobahn after a truck left some stoney surprise on the asphalt ahead?

Sound belongs to racing simulations - it's one of the few things that actually can get as real as there is (the feel we can never have unfortunately apart from running AC in a commercial platform not even available to big budget F1 teams).

jc1993, Epistolarius and djtopa like this.