1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving hardware best value

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by CamsX, Jun 23, 2015.

1. CamsX

CamsX Racer

Hello All:

1st post here. I'm enjoying AC a lot, and it has made me get the sim racing vibe again. Used to enjoy GPL and LFS a lot previously, so you can say I'm an old timer.

I've been wondering what would you consider the best value for Wheels and Pedals. I'm currently using a worn G25 (with lots of shaft play) and maybe 10 year old Act Lab Perf Pedals + Act Lab Shifter. Other than very jumpy potentiometers in the pedals, everything works OK, but I'm afraid something will eventually fail.

Therefore I'm considering the current market options without going over the $1000 usd price tag.

1st Option: G27 + Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3. Estimated cost $550. I've never used the G25 pedals, so not really interested in using the G27 pedals.

2nd Option: TM T500RS, costing $590. I'm not sure about the quality of pedals, but read a lot of good things about the wheel, tho not a fan of stationary paddles.

3rd Option: Some combination you suggest that I haven't considered, like elite pedals and a Ferrari wheel?

The icing on the cake would be a Fanatec Handbrake and a FanatecSQV/TM TH8A shifter, but for now the act labs h-shifter and g25 shifter as handbrake would do.

Cheers!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Hardware and driving experience Apr 3, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds All AI cars on all tracks are driving 50 mph during race! Jan 14, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds cant get my standard Interior driving view Nov 15, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Your personal Driving Coach Oct 6, 2023
    ACC Tools Your personal Driving Coach Oct 6, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Kyalami 100%: AI over-driving Leeukop May 28, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4 Fatal Error at random times during driving Apr 22, 2023
    ACC Physics Zero / extremely light FFB when driving straight ACC v1.9.0 Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Hotlap Session - start driving and TC and ABS changes Mar 23, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Game briefly freezes and shows the setup screen during driving Feb 13, 2023
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I look like I'm driving underground to other people Dec 21, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting screen microfreezing while driving Dec 19, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB Logitech G29/920 driving GT3 vs GT4 Oct 1, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting driving with another ai car instead of my own after replay Aug 23, 2022
    ACC User Interface When using the FocusPlayerCar Hotkey whilst not driving in team races, hotkey doesn't work Jul 16, 2022

3. Max Veloce

Max Veloce Racer

Thrustmaster TX / T300 wheels are better than the T500 as they have similar FFB but without the high internal motor resistance/friction. The pedals they come with are junk though so you could either buy Thrustmaster T3PA / T3PA-Pro addons which are basically the T500 pedals but with better rubber brake mod, or go for some nifty high end ones :)

hazardic likes this.
  4. Tberg

Tberg Alien

106 is definitely old timer.

Anyway, similar story among many of us "old timers", which way to go with the hardware? You'll find people that went with Thrustmaster and swear to it, same with Fanatec. Some regret buying into either of these brands and went to the other brand.
    In my case, I had the G25 since 2006, and by the time I needed upgrade, the CSP v2 pedals seemed like the best standalone pedals I could get, as I wasn't ready to buy a new wheel/ shifter yet. Best buy ever back then, now on my 4th year with them. I didn't go with T500 because I would need the shifter and the only thing I liked with the pedals over the CSP was the reverse mount option. And would cost me 3 times what I had in mind spending.
    I think those CSP v2 pedals was the true turningpoint with me getting more serious with my rig and simrace in general. It didn't take long before I got triple monitors and a raceseat too, then followed the CSW base and BMW rim, adding simvibe in the mix. Now 6 months in with the CSW v2, I just upgraded my pc and build a sim rig.

Lately I'm not following the pricejump in Fanatec products, but I would still vouch for the CSP v3, then see if you get bit the same way I did. If you want it all on a budget, go with thrustmasters options.

Btw, still using the G25 shifter, gave it a serious spring upgrade and put on a real gearknob, works like a charm, but still want something in the future to replace it, maybe the SHH.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  5. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

T300RS + CSP v3 pedals gets my vote.
    I see that you are on G25 now, G25 pedals are better than what comes with T300RS. I am still on G27 pedals myself, they are load celled though, not much to complain, they do their job wonderfully, hopefully CSP v3 can improve on them.

Tucker73 likes this.
  6. T500rs ($450) has stronger FFB than T300 ($299), and what comes to the price T300 being cheaper, it gets up there really fast when you have to put atleast $150(€/£ same prices) to the pedals to have what T500 comes with as stock.
    The T500 pedals are good pedals, very sturdy, and if you just get the brake mod working for you (which is very easy) they also feel really good.

T300rs has two things working for it in comparison. It has a servo motor which has less internal resistance, and hence it is lighter to turn without force, and it comes with a wheel that has the shifting paddles on the wheel (if that is ones preference).

Fanatec doesn't really out weigh the TM products in strenght nor quality (even if they feel like they are better quality), but they do like to be on the expensive side.

In the end, it is all about the budget though.
    If money isn't an obstacle go for a direct drive wheel ($1500+) and some pro (like Niels Heusinkveld Engineering) pedals ($1000+).
    If thats out of the question, but you can affort Fanatec, go for it. They have really good pedals and CS V2 ($599) sounds like a really good wheel base, plus their wheel selection is awesome.
    If it is below that, then we come to the Thrusmaster realm. First I would go for T500 Ferrari F1 Integral ($499), and buy the TM Leather 28 GT ($139) wheel for it (no static paddles).
    Second choise would be the T300rs + T3PA-Pro pedals (or Fanatec CS V3 ($299) and maybe eventually get the F1 wheel if thats your thing.
    In both of these Thrustmaster cases I would buy the Th8rs ($129) as a shifter, unless you have money to get straight the Fanatec CS SQ ($199), either way the Th8rs makes a really good handbrake later on if you decide to upgrade.
    If all this is too much, then I would just get a G27 ($219 on amazon atm.) that comes with all you need, and is a good wheel in it's own right.

snyperal, Andrew_WOT and Tberg like this.
  7. Matty28

Matty28 Simracer

I think my setup is pretty fantastic. Thrustmaster TX is very fast and strong, feels in a whole other league to the CSR/DFGT/G27 because of this. Rim feels a bit cheap, but it's usable and has good button placement, and there are addons which feel higher quality like the 28 GT (T300s might be a better buy if you don't have an Xbox One). CSP V2s are fantastic, smooth, high quality, sturdy and have that lovely load cell. V3s sound even better. Th8A is a good shifter, although the ClubSport shifter might feel better. It has quite long throws but feels substantial to use which I like and the clamp is great. Total cost for my setup was £645 ($1015) but in US prices it would come to $900 ($600 for just the TX and CSPs). I honestly think anything above what I've got is not worth it and anything under leaves me wanting more.

8. TDS

TDS Alien

Take a look at these pedals set, best bang for the buck... waiting list is up:
    https://protosimtech.com/en/Order

It has been reviwed at sim garage on you tube
    PT-1 Pedal Review:

For the budget u mention i would def go for this ones.

alex72 likes this.
  9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

I would love to see someone comparing those with CSP v2 or v3 when they are available.
    But with limited run from one man show I suspect the waiting list will be many months long.

TDS likes this.
  10. Aqib

Aqib Gamer

TDS likes this.
  11. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Just reporting that T500RS and TH8A is really good equipment. The rather high turning resistance is caused by the strong brushed motor you need to move. When driving AC I never notice that as something negative. Brushless motors are, of course, the sh*t. But since I was looking for good pedals T300 was not an option.

I had two issues, though: the potentiometer in the throttle pedal has such high turning resistance it loosened the screws that hold it! I put some penetrating oil on the pot and tightened the screws. Now it works perfectly again. Also, for the TH8A I strongly recommend a "mod" which is basically just a nylon screw you need to put into an already existing screw thread. This mod can be done without voiding warranty. If you need further details, let me know.

12. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

13. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Yes, please, let us know. :)

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  14. CamsX

CamsX Racer

I'm so glad I asked about what to upgrade here. So much great information and friendly responses.

I drool often about the Accuforce wheel (a friend has one), and even tho my budget is way higher than when I started sim racing, it is still the main concern as I narrow down the options.

The main point I can gather from all your comments is that nobody suggested that I go with another G27 platform. Even if it is a very respectable entry option and for those on a really tight budget, I guessing you all have moved on to better things and certainly see the value behind that decision.

I've narrowed down my wheel decision to the TM options. CSW v2 + rim surpasses my budget entirely. I could say the same for the PT-1s.

By checking some reviews of the T300RS I see that it is a very good option for the steering wheel (currently my 1st), but what do you think about the TX + the rim addons in comparison? Not much worried about console compatibility.

Pedals on the other hand got a bit more complicated with the TM wheels. I could go T3PA Pro right away (tho no load cell), or go all out with the Fanatec CSP V3 (close to $700 total cost). But what about the Fanatec CSR Elites for $150?

$550 for T300RS + Fanatec Elite (with load cell) doesn't seem like a bad option, don't you think?

My main concern for whatever I choose would be durability. I tend to pull on the wheel, which is how I broke the original ACt Lab and 2 Momo Reds before landing on the G25. I'm glad it has survived the abuse I've given it for hundreds of hours.

15. My T500rs has gotten the whole gamut of abuse and is working as the day I got it. I do not know about the T300 durability, but I have no reason to doubt that it wouldn't be build with same quality as T500 is.
    As far as I know, the TX rim is plastic rather than brushed aluminium (I think, metal anyways) which is a minus I have heard from people doing straight comparison, I would just go for the T300rs, you get a nice rim which serves you for a long time and will not grumble under pressure.
    Concerning the pedals, I'm sure either one of those three pedals you decide to go with, it will be a good product with minimal potential for regret. That being said, obviously the CSP V3 reigns supreme, and as long as they work, there is no reason to buy anything else.

Someone else needs to give details about the CSR Elite pedals, all I know is they have a loadcell and the brake and glutch can be reverted (hanging mount), which are features that seem awfully cheap for that price bracket.

16. IMO Fanatic pedals are the best bang for the buck hardware in all of simracing. I love my CSR Elite's and actually look forward to when they stop working so that I will have an excuse to save up and get a set of the V3 Clubsports.

This shifter: http://www.shiftershh.es/en.html would seem to be the best bang for the buck sequential/H-pattern available today. I have heard nothing but good feedback from users about it, other than it looks a bit rough due to being 3D printed.

shiftA and tommi karsikas like this.
  17. ... and takes 3 months to deliver, so if one is a hasty by nature, may be a long 3 months.

18. Fanatic generally has a two or three month waiting period also; kinda used to that by now.

19. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

What's wrong with TH8A?

20. Nothing is wrong with it. It's simply made, so it's easy to keep in perfect working order, easy to mod, and price isn't too bad at all for that quality/feel you can get out of it. In essence it is a really really good shifter.
    Only problem I have with it is that changing from H to sequencial is more work than Fanatec CS SQ or SHH. If I ever end up getting another shifter, it will most likely be SC SQ and I will turn the Th8rs into a handbrake.

21. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

@Andrew_WOT: Since assembly of the TH8A takes quite some time I made some sketches that explain the point of improvement within the shifter. I attached a higher resolution pdf.
    The fix is very simple and when I did it I didn't have to break any seals so warranty is still given.
    Attention: The little micro switch that's being pushed by the sequential shifter gate is soldered in a very flimsy fashion so when disassembling, the two leads came off. If you have a soldering Iron it's really easy to fix, polarity doesn't matter.

Thrustmaster_TH8A_Nylon_Screw_Mod.jpg

Attached Files:

Andrew_WOT and alex72 like this.