1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Ferrari F1 Team Principle Says "Ban Simulators"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by LetsTestDrive, May 15, 2016.

1. LetsTestDrive

LetsTestDrive Simracer

During this weekends Spanish Formula 1 GP six team principles were asked a question during a press conference:

"If each one of you can make a single change to the (F1) regulations for next year, what would it be?"

Ferraris F1 team principle Maurizio Arrivabene stated he thinks the simulator should be banned.

[​IMG]

I read this as implying that their simulators are costing them more then actually testing in real life?o_O

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom...16/5/fia-friday-press-conference---spain.html

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting Team swap ferrari crashes game. Apr 24, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Race strategy tips for Ferrari F1 team May 26, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Ferrari - Not all teams available - Sprint Race Weekend Dec 12, 2018
    Liveries Ferrari 458 GT2 Calsonic Team Impul Mar 28, 2016
    3D car models Ferrari f50 (reborn) - teamwork project Jul 16, 2015
    Liveries Ferrari 458 gt2 dr motorsport team liveries Feb 1, 2015
    Liveries F458 gt2 ferrari team ukraine Jan 26, 2015
    Liveries Ferrari 458 italia gt team mill customs Oct 25, 2014
    Liveries Elms team sofrev ferrari 458gt2 2014 (urd egt mod) Oct 4, 2014
    Liveries Ferrari 458 challenge team malucelli skin Sep 25, 2014
    3D car models Ferrari 643 f1 - by f1 asr team modding classic - wip Jul 20, 2014
    Liveries 2012 TEAM ZENT CERUMO [Ferrari 599XXEvo] Apr 13, 2014
    3D car models Ferrari 599xx Team Thunderbolt by GRT Mar 30, 2014
    3D car models Ferrari 599xx Team Becks by GRT Mar 25, 2014
    3D car models Ferrari 599xx Team Galeria Inno by GRT Mar 12, 2014

3. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Is it just me or all of the retarded news in motorsport is coming from F1.

Damn its like they dont want viewers

4. Why is that retarded? IMO all the things he stated are legit points o_O While i can say some of F1 news really are retarded, this one is not. It's an interesting thought. DISCLAIMER: I'm not watching F1 that much, and don't have much knowledge about F1 as a whole and their political discussions.

5. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

Seems sensible to me. Get the cars back out on track for more scheduled communal test sessions. Give the real drivers the chance to drive real cars.

6. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

simulators are massive for keeping costs down, now you do have to spend a lot on the simulators themselves but what happens if you cant use sims anymore, either drivers become worse jeopardising the safety of themselves, the other drivers and the cars or they have to go to a bunch of tracks in reality use resources that dont need to be used and they cant optimize their laps as much because they arent training on the right track.

Solution: Cost cap the damn simulators.

7. LetsTestDrive

LetsTestDrive Simracer

That's what I assumed, but his comments seem to imply the simulators are costing MORE than actual REAL WORLD testing is, which is one of the reasons they banned real world testing in the first place.

Solution: Cost cap the damn simulators by only allowing them to test in Forza. :p

8. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Thats either a lie or the simulator devs are having a giggle because they know the f1 chaps dont really have another alternative.

9. burrito

burrito Alien

Simulators aren't the issue. CFD and windtunnels are.

Constantly having to upgrade software and hardware only for the parts to not work at the track. Wasted millions when there are tracks within 300 miles of all of them where results will always correlate with the track.

(What amazes me is there is no testing allowed of full size aero parts (aside from virtually) but engine manuafacturers can run race sims on full size engines in dyno rooms. I watched a Mercedes V8 (engine + airbox + exhausts + kers) do a full simulation run of hungary in 2013 based on hamilton's inputs throughout the race.)

It'll never happen because those teams that have invested in CFD and purpose built windtunnels will lose their advantage and their investment. But hey, talking about things that will never happen is more fun than considering what can and will change in F1 right now.

Edit: Obviously track time would have to be limited just as CFD and windtunnel time is limited now.

aphidgod and AccAkut like this.
  10. Mogster

Mogster Alien

It makes sense, running the cars is probably cheaper day for day than all the computer CFD and wind tunnel stuff they do. The huge complex sim rigs cost a fortune also...

I don't know how you stop it now though.

11. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Its not so hard to do that. Just put a new regulations about front wings and rear wings. The rest of the car are too similar on most of the teams, but the wings are the problem. So, if FIA put a new regulation about wings, that they have to be as simple as possible, like on this picture of 89 season: http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/sites/11/2013/05/1989-Honda-Formula-1-car.jpg , perhaps, we can see a reduction with windtunnels tests and also, reduction of the turbulences. The DRS ideia was the most horrible thing on F1, because make the overtakes too boring to see and the cars still produces too much turbulances.

Garry Vale likes this.
  12. I am surprised that the italian Maurizio didn't hear about AC and how cheap it is....maybe when mentioning "millions" he was referring to iRacing...

13. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Make them use simple spec wings.

Remove all the "monkey seats" and other ridiculous aero ****e they've sprouted over the last 10 years, then let them use some basic ground effect to claw some of the downforce back. That's clearly what the drivers want.

14. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

I dont think he means banning simulators specifically. I think he's just talking about being able to replace simulators with real world testing, which teams are not allowed to do.

I understand the arguments against it, those with the money to test continually benefit the most, but it is quite insane that you have to do all your 'evaluation' of your car design solely via computers.

15. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Track time costs money. Ferrari has plenty of it, other teams much less so. Banning simulators means to secure an advantage for Ferrari. Other teams then need to invest into tracktime, of which they can afford less then. Simulator time I expect to be cheaper.

Its like a football club like Barecelona or Bayern Munich buying star players that are not really needed, and sit on the bench all the time - but that way, they canot play for a rivalling team. Thats what is behind many transfers in football, good example in Germany would be Munich eroding the BVB Dortmund since long time, its closest rival.

16. Seanspeed

The drivers want all kinds of different things. Dont think one or two's opinions represents everybody's.

Spec wings would never fly. Fans and the teams would throw fits and I'm not sure I could blame them. You get rid of all the external aero bits and throw spec wings on the cars and not only would the cars all look the same - there'd be so little scope to actually develop them.

Two, ground effect is not this miracle solution people think it is. Any car that is built to get laptime through aerodynamics is going to suffer in dirty air. Doesn't matter HOW the downforce is generated. You follow in somebody's wake, you're not only being affected by lower quality air, but also lower quantity of air. The floor is still going to be highly affected by this.

In the end, the more downforce a car is built to run with, the more it is going to be affected by following another car. The teams already tried reducing the turbulence a car makes with the 09 aero regulations, but it really doesn't make that much difference. You still have winged cars scything through corners at 100-150mph+ and that is going to mess with the air quite severely. The only *real* solution is to reduce downforce levels significantly. Like, to the point where they're like late 80's F1 levels. The cars would be slow as all hell, but they'd be able to follow better.

17. Seanspeed

It's more like telling a football club that they're not allowed to practice in between games, they have to play FIFA....

18. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Cause the budget didn't change, only the venue... the same money gets more simulation time than track time, they're just spending a lot of hours simulating whatever they're allowed to (and probably more secretly, I mean, it's f1).

They can't just rent an empty track, they have to get full course safety staff, full pit crew ready to fix things when they break, etc. real world track time costs a lot.

19. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

The problem is that they are doing serious development work on the simulators and not just use them to train the drivers.
    To be able to do proper development work, the simulators need to be really really accurate and every bit of detail can pay off. That's what makes them so horribly expensive.

Would be easy to solve: The FIA delivers the simulator software, the teams can make some minor adjustments and that's it.

20. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

I think F1 is in a major crisis since decades. Boring races with little to none overtaking on track. Just pit strategy to decide about race position.
    To me, despite the howl technical aspect, which I find amasing too, this series is highly overrated.
    Give them a low aero spec car at the beginning of each season to evolve individually throughout the year (through computational or real testing). In reasonable financial limits of course.
    And get rid of that Ecclestoned f***.

LeDude83 likes this.
  21. Seanspeed

It's clearly been a long time since you've watched man. There's far, far more overtaking than nowadays than there ever used to be.

stefanoCasillo likes this.