1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Help for VGA (GTX-760 or R9-270x)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Alexandre Bauer, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Hello guys, I'm wanting to upgrade my VGA in, and would like to hear from you regarding the performance of these models in AC.

Nvidia GTX 760
    AMD R9 270x

For those who own these models, how they have behaved in AC (and others pCars, RF2) and on the Mantle in AMD, improved anything since the GTX is around 10% higher in native performance?

Thank you.;)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Evga gtx 970 for cheap! Jun 20, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Help me choose a vga [760 4gb vs. 770 2gb] Sep 24, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Black Screen, Disable EVGA precision Mar 10, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues AMD VGA users, I need your help Nov 20, 2013

3. AugGust

AugGust Racer

Look at my specs. 16 cars at Mugello gives me ~85 fps :)

[​IMG]

4. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Do you play these games or do you plan to play these games:

If you plan to buy these games or the games which will base on these engines, then plan with AMD, also its cheaper i think^^
    Mantle will be supported by more games in the future IMO.
    Also nvideo is too expensive and i dont want to support them due this problem^^

5. AugGust

AugGust Racer

I don't know much about AMD and I may be somewhat of a Nvidia fanboy... So take note that my opinion might be biased

GENERALLY:
    Personally from what I've seen from reviews AMD cards are cheaper for the same horsepower, but the cards are heavier and run hotter (quite significantly)

My only experience using AMD graphics was quite bad... But it was mobility graphics. A 6490M in a laptop if I'm not wrong. The drivers tend to have quite a lot of issues and it couldn't run minecraft for 5minutes without crashing, so I had to rely on the Intel HD 3000 which was utter crap. Driver updates and support was pretty terrible too, and I had to turn to leshcatlabs.net for third-party driver updates

Since I built my PC I chose an Nvidia card thinking to try it out (first a 650ti, then this 760) and had a pretty pleasant experience since with no hiccups what so ever, and then Shadowplay came out making it even better.

If I were choosing I'll definitely go for the 760 (which i did), but Mantle may be somewhat of a game changer... I dunno?

6. zAmboni

zAmboni Gamer

My system is like 3 years old. After getting into AC recently, I knew my old Radeon HD 5770 wouldn't cut it. I decided to go with a R9-290x. There was a pretty good increase straight off in AC...but like it is said above, drivers are a problem.

The card runs fine when playing a game, but it has problems in desktop on my system. I was getting some black squares in Firefox when browsing. I fixed those by turning off Firefox hardware acceleration. I stuck with the card for a while, but I was getting random crashes (once a week) when the card is idle, and some random lockups while idle also.

I woke up to see that my computer crashed/rebooted with a BSOD overnight, and when I got home from work, it was locked up with the screen blank and that was the last straw. I got an RMA for the card for a refund, and I ordered a GTX 760 which should be here on Thursday. I'm going to pull the card tonight and send it back tomorrow. Before then I should do a benchmark on a replay and then compare the 270x and 760. I've been an AMD guy for years, but I just cant put up with random crashes because of stuff they have known about and have never gotten around to fixing.

7. zAmboni

zAmboni Gamer

Here are two data points for performance on FA race @ Monza replay that I saved. 12 cars. I did a benchmark in FRAPS over the course of one lap. I used one of the outside TV cameras and not in cockpit.

Radeon 5770 - Avg: 31.159 - Min: 21 - Max: 46
    R9 270x - Avg: 82.746 - Min: 55 - Max: 121

I'll update with GTX760 numbers when it arrives on Thursday.

8. sherpa25

sherpa25 Hardcore Simmer

How long have you had your 650ti, and how does it compare FPS with your new 760? Thinking of upgrading but not sure if cost be worth, as I just got my 650ti boost late last year. So far 60fps but not with much cars, don't know how it will hold up for MP later.

9. AugGust

AugGust Racer

I had my 650ti for about a year. If I were u I would stick to the 650 ti boost till the 800 series based off Maxwell comes out. It's a pretty darn decent GPU and to only use it for 2~3 months would be a huge waste... Or i'll simply get another 650 Ti Boost to run them in SLI. Would easily beat a single 760.

Comparing my 760 to my 650ti, I would say maybe a 60% estimate performance increase? I'm not totally sure exactly how much. The first thing I did was to turn up AC's graphics settings quite a bit like AA which my 650ti could not really handle. I think I upped the shadows too. But when i had it AC did not have multiple cars on track at the same time... So it's all just a rough estimate.

Btw here's a benchmark section for my 760. Running a 16 car race of mixed BMWs at Mugello and started the benchmark before the green light. You may want to know that i'm running it at 1080p single monitor as well.
    Avg: 88.109 - Min: 66 - Max: 123

sherpa25 likes this.
  10. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Mantle is boosting extremly even with an highend rig.
    Tests were showing it: 15-58% depending on the system.
    If a game has a lot cpu-load, then mantle will always boost >25% and more.
    Assetto got huge cpu load, mantle would boost extremly here.
    Mantle is also beta stages, more fps boost will come for sure. and dont compare gsync or shadowplay with it, different features.

If you have troubles with r290x then you probably installed the beta driver i guess.

Btw MP wont have such fps drops like AI races, because your pc doesnt calculate all enemies. You only need a good internet connection.

Send from my HTC One

11. AugGust

AugGust Racer

Firstly AC would have to support it... And seeing that they won't even modify the lighting system to give headlamps... I don't think we'll see mantle support in at least a year. And even if it does i don't see the performance increase outweigh its cons. So what if it can run at very high framerates but crashes all the time? :)

Warning: possible Nvidia fanboy opinion :)

12. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

I can refer only to computer magazines (3 famous german sites)
    and they made yesterday a new topic, cuz a new driver got released and they run i7 4770k with 2 r9 290x crossfire and it was running better than last time. Sure, its not perfect but running more stable and no graphic bugs like invisible colours.
    So you can expect better support in the future.
    Just to note: nvidea's also have problems in their first releases ~ possible AMD fanboy opinion

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

13. Thanks guys, it seems that this topic will be ultil to more people, but I still have doubts. The 760 gives me 10% more performance, but charge me 10% more investment, my fear is this difference be supplanted soon by Mantle and I make a bad deal.

14. AugGust

AugGust Racer

Nvidia has their "features" benefits too, such as Shadowplay, low temperates blah blah blah all that cover stuffs. I'm pretty sure even if Mantle does give you a performance boost the pros that Nvidia cards bring you (such as stability and compatibility) still outweigh Mantle! Omg i actually sound like a Nvidia fanboy now

15. Hanzales

Hanzales Racer

I would recommend nVidia as well, but I am kind of the same like AugGust ;o) I prefer stability and compatibility over the (price/fps ratio) or different performance there and there. I think Nvidia still have much better support for new games and with AMD you need to wait at least for the next drivers and sometimes bugs can occur with fresh released games. (at least what I can see from many forums). But again, it is just my personal opinion and my personal experience with AMD cards earlier.
    1. True is I didn't had any personal experience with AMD over last three or four years and many people writting they have no problems at all, running very stable.
    True is Nvidia had an bigger issue (over last 6 months maybe) with some cards (like my nonreference 560Ti f.e.) - TDR (driver crashes with HW acceleration in Firefox, or in Idle) but thanks god it looks it's finally gone again and last monts no driver crashes at all. Next to that I really don't remembering any issue with Nvidia drivers or fresh released games over all of the years at all. Just some issues like F1 2010/2011 crashing in DX11 (only this game) fixed later by codies (or I suspect Rapture3D made that) or "desktop brightness not stored" bug, like 3 years ago :) but it is really hard to remember for anything else. Again, this does not means that some other guy can have a lot of problems with Nvidia card while others AMD card can run like a charm ;o)

16. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I have the R9, see sig for details, and I have plenty fps for everything with high details and nice graphics in AC.
    And it is getting better with every update.

17. hogfish

hogfish Gamer

I just went through this. I'm an AMD loyalist but I couldn't come up with a single reason to buy AMD this time. I was going back and forth between an R9 290 and a GTX 780 so maybe it's alittle different than the cards you are deciding between. The bitcoin harvesting has driven the AMD card's pricing through the roof, 290/290X are selling $100 plus above MSRP. Pricing and the heat issues made it a pretty simple choice for me.

I replaced my Radeon 7870 with a GTX780 and the difference is huge. It's not just the increased frames but picture quality improved along with getting rid of the flashing on all the walls in AC, constant flickering. I'm not saying AMD cards are bad, but right now Nvidia is winning the battle. AMD has bet the house on Mantle and I really hope it works out b/c without Mantle the last of the holdouts will switch teams.

18. zAmboni

zAmboni Gamer

Heat wasn't a problem with my 270x. I had a Gigabyte version with triple fans on it and it ran really cool when going full load (one of the reviews I read showed it to be one of the coolest video cards in the class). The blue screens and lockups were just too much for me. Browsing some of the forums problems at idle with lockups and screen jitters/scrambling have been going on for months and have not been fixed by AMD. Since I only had until the end of the month, there didn't look to be any driver updates in the offering and so the card went back.

I used to be a framerate whore, but gaming has really taken a backseat in the past couple of years. I was even quite happy with the framerates my Radeon 5770 was giving me in Skyrim :). That card lasted me 3 years, and hopefully the new GTX760 will last me at least that long. We'll see how it goes when it arrives tomorrow.

19. AugGust

AugGust Racer

I don't think it'll last us that long seeing that 4k is starting to come out :)

20. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Simple Solution, buy a custom gigabite, asus, msi r9 290, not the standard card. Test have proven there is no heat problem then and pricing is fair when you compare it with gtx780 you pay 100-150€ more :oops:
    PS: Only the new R9 290 + 290x got heat problems.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk