1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Help with bying new monitor.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Ody, May 23, 2016.

1. Ody

Ody Racer

Hello gentlemen,

I plan to get a monitor in the immediate future, and i'd like you opinion on the following points. My question is if it's worth for assetto corsa to :

• get a 144Hz one instead of 60Hz. Do you believe its worth the extra amount of money?
    • Is freesync or g-sync mandatory if i want NO v-sync and no tearing, or will just a 144Hz screen cut it?
    • 1920x1080 or 2560x1440
    The main issue is of course budget, so i am asking which of the above should be a MUST if i want to get a quality monitor for assetto corsa. Thanks for any help!

Edit: i plan on upgrading my system so don't mind the signature. Probably an nvidia 1070.
    Edit2: you could summarize the above as (pick 2 from the 3 above)

Last edited: May 23, 2016

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Bying ultimate edition when standard edition is already installed Jan 3, 2019
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Editing screens individually, is it possible? Triple Monitor setup plugin. Apr 5, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting [Need help] Monitors "turn off" during races. Nov 1, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple monitor Aug 30, 2023
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Perspective correction for curved monitors Aug 19, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Porsche GT3 992 Rear View Monitor Jul 9, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC Window Manager - Multi-monitor support Jun 11, 2023
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Can you adjust monitors specifically for triple monitor setup? May 1, 2023
    ACC User Interface Kunos please implement Curved Monitors in "View Settings" Apr 27, 2023
    Screens & Videos Triple monitor Apr 19, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions 4070 ti for Triple 1440p monitors? Apr 12, 2023
    ACC User Interface Optimal Fov for curved monitor Mar 25, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Motion not as smooth on side monitors as middle monitor - Triple Monitor Setup (with high FPS!) Mar 22, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality FFB is different in VR and single monitor Jan 8, 2023
    ACC User Interface Can we get monitor curvature FOV adjustment like iRacing? May 22, 2022

3. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

for AC 144hz doesn't matter alltomutch. It's a very nice experience but it does come at a price.
    If the specs in your sig are still up-to-date you won't be able to run AC at fairly high settings & maintain 144fps whatsoever.
    I'd just go for a nice 27" screen (or larger) with low response time and use that as a screen for AC.

If you're playing other games (like csgo or other shooters) I'd get a 144hz one. Otherwise, don't go for it until your pc can back up the 144fps requirement to fully enjoy 144/120hz

4. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

If your PC can drive higher than 60 fps the yes the higher refresh rate is well worth it

Octane likes this.
  5. blakescom

blakescom Racer

Hey guys I was just wondering.....
    am I right in thinking a 144hz is only of use if you can run a constant +144fps ?
    And if so, does it just drop to 60hz if your fps drops below 144 or how does it handle it ?

@OP , hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread :)

6. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

- 144hz. Absolutely no question. Huge difference if you can achieve higher FPS. AC looks astonishing at 120+ FPS. Anyone who says they can't notice the difference has never actually experienced AC at high FPS. Worth every penny I spent on it, and I'll never, ever, ever go back to anything less than 144hz. They're honestly not all that expensive anymore anyway.
    - Depends on how sensitive you are to it. A 144hz monitor alone without Free/G-Sync will handle tearing/stuttering better than 60hz, but doesn't totally eliminate it. Free/G-Sync will totally eliminate it. I do get occasional screen tearing and stuttering if I set no FPS cap and disable vsync - which is why I do use vsync and I cap at 144. I'm aware it doesn't eliminate all the artifacts, but I never notice them.
    - If you go 144hz, and you should if you love AC, but you also want to save money, stick to 1920 x 1080.

Honestly, having a powerful enough PC to handle more than 60FPS but using a 60hz monitor is like putting consumer tyres on a race car. In the end, the monitor is what delivers the experience, don't skimp on it.

Edit: having a look at your specs, as PhenOm said, you'll have a hard time getting higher FPS. However, you'll have your new monitor for quite a while. Invest in a good monitor now, so when you upgrade your PC, you're good to go :)

blakescom likes this.
  7. burrito

burrito Alien

Benq xl2411z

144Hz is worth it, in every game. Get much less frame lag. Of course your graphics card needs to be capable of it. But a (almost) 2.5x refresh rate is better than the increase in resolution on a 1440p screen personally.

Depends if you want aesthetics or game performance. Go with resolution for aesthetics and go with refresh rate for gaming performance.

blakescom likes this.
  8. If you can run the graphics quite high and still achieve 144 fps then its worth it. 60 fps looks like a slide show once you play the game at a smooth 144 fps. Only time i get fps drop is when playing online and usually at race starts. Too many AI cars may also cause fps drop, depends how powerful your rig is.

blakescom likes this.
  9. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

Yup. 120/144hz is a must for really smooth frame rates, especially in a racing sim. Those who say it's not needed probably never experienced how good it is. Worth every penny.

10. Ody

Ody Racer

Ok, from your responses i get "if your PC can run 144 fps, go for it, its great".

About the freesync or G-sync , do you think there will be a massive visual difference? Does anyone have this kind of monitors?

Also i think that if i will get a 1070, it would be a waste to not take advantage of its massive memory and bandwidth for higher resolutions that fullHD

11. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

I'm using one myself running above 144fps without any issues but looking at his spec & his questions + budget wise it's probably not the best option to get for him.
    Yes 144hz is magic & everything you want but if your system can't run AC on fairly high settings and maintain a high FPS then it's not worth getting one just yet.

CrazyMasterBlaster likes this.
  12. Radiantm3

A monitor is something I'd rather buy once and use for at least 4-5 years (at the very least). I'm sure he will end up upgrading his computer components over the next few years which will then take advantage of the higher refresh rates. :)

baloche and Chazz Ranger like this.
  13. Ody

Ody Racer

Yeah that's i was thinking. I have the same monitor for like 7 years, it wasn't that good either, but i had my share of "cheap" products, so now that my budget kinda allows it, i want to take something more futureproof

14. Whether it is "good" or not isn't the point. It certainly isn't needed.

15. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Probably more expensive in the long run to buy a lower-end monitor now and then sell it to buy a better one later. Monitors should last a long time, and high-refresh monitors probably won't get much cheaper than they've now become.

16. burrito

burrito Alien

The free sync is meant to be quite good but honestly I do not have it and it adds £100-£200 just for one feature.

When I was purchasing mine I decided that wasn't worth it and honestly I don't have any massive issues with tearing or frame drops apart from in really unoptimised games (and even then frame drops are not nasty on the eyes). If slight drops don't bother you with your current setup then personally I wouldn't worry.

That 1070 will keep it well above 144 anyway, probably even at 1440p :p

17. Radiantm3

It's all relative. Nothing is really needed to enjoy sim racing. There are guys out there happy playing on a controller. :p I'd rather play AC on low settings at high frames on a 120/144hz display over high graphic settings at 60hz. Smoother and less latency is just better for driving.

bondyboy, Chazz Ranger and burrito like this.
  18. ZethGAF

ZethGAF Simracer

The Dell in my sig is a great alternative to the IPS/VA 1440 panels that run over 500 - if you're not super sensitive to color accuracy. I have it next to my older Apple Cinema Display and the colors are better there, but it's nowhere near as bad as older TNs. If you can get it on sale for <$450 it's solid bang for your buck.

AC at 144hz with Gsync is indeed amazing. With Real Head Motion it's smooth as butter, like looking out a window.

19. The BenQ XL2411Z has been a solid 144Hz monitor for a while now, but the AOC G2460PF is the best value 144Hz on sale today by far and is the one i'd recommend. The AOC supports Gsync and you can even overclock it to 160Hz if you wish, but it's cheaper than the BenQ (£25 cheaper in the UK).

However, i'm gonna throw a wildcard into the mix and also point you in the direction of the Crossover 2795. It's one of those mad Korean overclockable monitors with a bargain price tag and has got a good reputation too among enthusiasts. 1440p resolution, AH-IPS panel and easily overclockable up to 120Hz. Yes it's not quite 144Hz, but it has a superior resolution and panel type (IPS panels' colours are much more accurate than TN panels) and is not much more money than the trusty BenQ, hence why it's a wildcard choice. I've been looking at this as a replacement for my slightly broken Dell, but I will probably need a GPU upgrade to see its full benefits.

20. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

This. 100%.

Octane, ZethGAF and burrito like this.
  21. haxxx

haxxx Simracer

I'm using a free sync monitor and if i can tell you my opinion, it's worth the money. Assetto corsa and many other games suffer a lot of massive tearing without V-sync enabled and enabling V-sync in games causes stuttering if frame rate drops under a certain
    threshold. With Free sync ON and v-sync ON you eliminate all problems because your refresh rate is synchronized with your current frame rate in game, so no more stuttering or tearing.
    Like somebody else said, if you don't play fps games, you will be pretty fine with a 60hz monitor. I think 144hz is overkill especially if you don't play fps games, because if you can't reach that frame rate, basically you are not taking advantage of that monitor. I played a lot of FPS games in past and i know what i'm saying. If you take a 144hz monitor and you like visual quality in games, you will need a lot of power to reach 144fps like crossfire or sli configurations. If money isn't an issue or maybe if you can save some, i recommend you my same monitor that i'm using from months and i'm pretty satisfied with it. It's a 34 inches IPS panel from LG with 5ms gtc response time and 75hz maximum refresh rate if you are using display port cable. You will need also a GPU that supports free sync technology, so again if you can spend some money, you are in the right time to get a new r9 490 series from AMD that will be in the market soon and match it with a free sync monitor like mine and i assure you won't be disappointed any time.

PS: i forgot to say that my monitor is a 21:9 ultra wide 2560x1080 resolution, so it's kinda obvious that i also recommend you getting a 2k monitor. I've always used FULL HD in past and the difference with 2k in quality is big. IPS panel + high resolution and AC maxed out is a pleasure to watch

Chazz Ranger likes this.
  22. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Loving my 3440x1440 IPS panel, but I do a lot more than just play video games on my machine, so the 60hz refresh rate is a small compromise for incredible image quality. (At least I got a fast one! My old IPS panel from 2004 was like 11ms response time... still good enough for a decade of gaming.)