1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How do you drive a manual transmission automobile?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Vel, Sep 28, 2014.

1. 1karl1

1karl1 Simracer

Exit of the carousel is a good example of that . Theoretically 2nd is quicker but i'l always go for 3rd to make sure i don't fly off . Staying on the track is always quicker ;) It's all down to the grind of practice and using your own judgement for each individual corner . Sometimes when there's a player miles quicker than me in a practice or qualifying session i'l sit in the pits and watch how they tackle the track . Coolest way to get some tips is seeing it done in front of your eyes .

2. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

You found out what real engineers have been keeping secret for so long - Torque is the real deal, hp is just fluffy impressive numbers to show off with.

3. CanOx

CanOx Simracer

Do you have/use a clutch? You make a good point about AC modeling automatic transmission correctly. I have made a point about this regarding traction control for cars.
    Every manufacturer and model of car has its own minute transmission and computer assist characteristics that AC just cant model separately...
    The Lotus' have 3 distinct traction control settings.. all very different. But in AC its kinda just 1,2,3 progressively more traction control.

See in automatic mode you usually cant upshift/downshift as well right? Youre going sort of halfway..
    If its easier for you that way with your controller then by all means.. but there is a reason 99% of racecars are manual transmission heh.

Think of your Falcon simulator.. that is one ONE plane. We have 30+ cars in AC or whatever..
    Another flight sim analogy (because I like them too). In a plane its much more evident.. but its obviously more than throttle and airbrake right?
    You have prop pitch.. engine mixture.. RPM settings etc. All these help you control the plane as much as possible.
    It all could be automated.. but would you want it to be?

4. CanOx

CanOx Simracer

See I like 2nd gear with very light throttle pressure..

The joy of manual transmission.

5. Vel

Vel Simracer

No, i don't use a clutch in my configuration. I use a 360 controller with the default Kunos 360 joypad settings. I only shift up and down using the buttons that trigger the shifts while driving. Sometimes the auto-transmission shifts for me, yet for 90% of cars i have enough ability to make sure the transmission shifts up or down, only when i need it to.

I'm using it a bit like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission

Unfortunately, in very general terms, the F16 isn't a prop based airplane. It's not even a glider in terms of aerodynamics. It'll fall out of the sky without its computer constantly making tiny adjustments to the various surfaces of the jet. Primarily because it's built to be unstable. The instability caused by the center of gravity being just a bit out of place, allows for significantly faster turning and increased inherent reflexes than more traditional aircraft prior to its generation ( eg. WW2 & postwar fighters or similar civilian aircraft) - only if the computer & fly by wire system is the interface the pilot ultimately communicates to the plane with via throttle, stick, rudder pedals.

That being said, i see what you're getting at. If the automatic transmission is only casually modeled (and not up to spec with actual modern day transmissions), it makes sense that a human accustomed to driving could do much better with full control. (A bit like early automatic transmissions in cars being less than ideal for sport or fuel efficiency).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  6. Animal Ed

Animal Ed Simracer

I see that shifting up is clear, but right moment for shifting down is what bothers you. My technique is based on ear so I can`t give you usable advice except learn the car that you are using and learn the track.

Also see that some guys mentioned staying in higher gear than "optimal" is faster way sometimes but they didn`t explain why, so here it is: sometimes the reason is to avoid wheel spin in lower gears, sometimes shifting down for one second then shifting up is losing time literally, also there is opposite situations when you losing time by shifting up and than down - bouncing on rev limiter for a second is not bad idea sometimes ...

One important thing you need to know is using right gear in corner helps rotating the car. With higher gear and same speed, the car will tend to go wide ...

7. softgrip

softgrip Alien

If you want to get better - turn off automatic. Tada!

1 car, 1 track... Lap lap lap - beat your times.

Eg 458 on silverstone international. Do 20 laps in a row with automatic off.

Congratulations, you can now drive manual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bondyboy likes this.
  8. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

If you are using a controller and thus have no clutch, I really recommend you turn on autoclutch + autoblipping in realism menu.
    Those two option go a long way towards improving your shifting. They will penalize you for using what is considered a drivers aid but lots of cars can't run without proper use of clutch.
    Also with the F40 you might want to factor in boost pressure. It has an old turbos that suddenly build pressure high in the rpm range compared to modern cars (Fiat 500, BMW 1M) so if you want to avoid nasty surprises you might want to make a mental note of where it starts boosting and try to keep revs above that range as much as you can.

9. Acextreme

Acextreme Gamer

Manual shifting with H-gate shifters? Or just paddle shifters? Paddle shifters are not too difficult. I have a lot of problem using the H-gate shifter because it doesn't feel real like the one in a real car, and secondly, some cars are just too fast to do so with the less than optimal H-gate shifter. I got a 7+1 H-gate shifter and I find it very uncomfortable with the gearbox so high up there than a normal sedan family car...

Anyone have tips?

10. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

You should try flying the Viper with your 360 pad instead of your ( I presume) HOTAS. Feeling desync is what you get, right? I'm certain you can't even imagine flying that way.
    So why are you trying a driving simulator with a pad?
    You're missing FFB, proper ergonomy, immersion... Seriously, get a wheel. Even an old Logitech DFP would do the trick. I know it's an expensive solution, but I bring back the flying simulator analogy again.

11. Damien Wintz

Damien Wintz Racer

What kind of bull**** is this? It's totally the opposite. The more power you put down to the ground = the faster you accelerate.
    Torque is absolutely useless on its own.

If you drive while tring to maximize power, you'll always be faster than if you drive while trying to maximize (engine) torque. Driving in the optimum torque range is only useful when you want to save fuel or reduce overheating as combusion engines are usually the most efficient at their peak torque. But you'll go much slower as well...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  12. Actually, it's the opposite that I prefer. Shifting down to 2nd for a corner can sometimes cause the rear end to "spin out" if it is done slightly too early. Sticking to 3rd gear reduces the chances of that significantly for me :)

13. Bailey

Bailey Alien

Other than borrowing your buddies V8 Supercar

the solution might be to get used to it.

~Bailey

14. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Then take a look at the textbook again.

EDIT: Damien edited his OP...

15. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Itching for a fight? Not today thanks. Just know you are wrong.

16. cunnu79

cunnu79 Racer

Actually it's tourque witch makes your tyres slip...hp is for top speed, torque is for how mutch quick you wanna get to the top speed...

Luigi Gianni Vollaro likes this.
  17. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

18. some1pl

some1pl Alien

Then why motorsports haven't switched to diesel yet? :p

19. cunnu79

cunnu79 Racer

Because they have to much torque compared to the hp...and also because diesel engines are more to run at the same rpm for long periods and are much less elastic than normal fuel engines(diesel engine always need a turbo to be performing, but using turbo lowers the reliability of the engine)...Audi used a diesel engine at 24h of Le Mans, but was just a question of being able to refuel less times than the others...

20. I was starting to think I was going nuts after Damien's post. As I understood it, torque is equivalent to "pulling power", so more torque equals better acceleration.