1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How to get a good start in a race

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Paul Davidson, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Ok.

I'll start by saying I'm a complete beginner at racing games, not just AC.

I have attempted my first race with the F1 cars. I have manual clutch (not that the f1 cars have a clutch), manual gearbox, using a G27 with paddles.

I keep my foot on the accelerator to roughly 6000 rpm so the drivers hand moves to the gearbox, wait on the race starting (I go by the other drivers moving as I have no idea when to actually go without a green light!), pop up to 1st gear and put my foot down.

The car takes a second to actually start moving, while everyone else is miles ahead.

So...for a noob. How on earth do you get a good start? :)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer ACC dedicated server race start hangs, but only on Nordshleife Apr 13, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC chrashed started Race in carriere modus Apr 2, 2024
    Bug reports Ps5-Crashed startet Race carriere modus Apr 2, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Cant start a solo race. Mar 2, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Quick Race starting grid Sep 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Game Crashes After Starting Any Race For Months Jul 31, 2023
    ACC Gameplay AI start wet races on dry tires then pit after 1st lap Apr 28, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Can't start Race with Mods due to Runtime Error Jan 23, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer CP Race Failing to Start Aug 29, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Stuck looking at car on race start Aug 21, 2022
    ACC User Interface Quick race menu: starting pos. not applied in between series (while opp. number does) Jul 19, 2022
    ACC Gameplay BUG on latest version on PC , such as the position at start of the race May 8, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Unable to leave garage to start race or even practice May 2, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Race won't start, returns to menu Apr 18, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Freeze while trying to start/run a race (in single player mode) [Sidewinder FFB frequency] Apr 3, 2022

3. Xreasonz

Xreasonz Racer

The abarth formula is a Formula 3 car and i think they have manual clutch, Correct me if i'm wrong thou.
    And i have found its rather hard to get a good start of the grid without chucking back on power or getting wheel spin.
    Probably its the clutch models that needs more tuning

4. F3, sorry :)

Well it must be an auto clutch as I complete the race only using the paddles, no clutch. I'll need to check I defo have clutch set to manual!

It's not that I get wheel spin, its that the power seems to die and go slow. It's like the feeling you get if you are driving at 20mph and suddenly put it into 6th gear...you get practically no acceleration. But I'm doing it on a race start. It's defo something I am doing wrong, as I am new to this, and the devs would notice it the first time they tried.

5. Xreasonz

Xreasonz Racer

Yep thats what i'm getting aswell. Be sure to check if you have your setting right, no assists, etc
    and normally a F3 car is with a Manual gearbox, that would need a Clutch. But for some reason i can shift without using the clutch and using paddles.
    Perhaps its like this in the abarth F3

6. ENDRiuC

ENDRiuC Rookie

Of course they do. How else would they change the gears with a semiautomatic gearbox?
    They don't have clutch PEDALS, but they have clutch levers, as shown here at the beginning:

Xreasonz likes this.
  7. Riesig

Riesig Rookie

If starting is different from what we have now (Full control, meaning jump starts and everything)

(probably too off topic)

Rev up
    Hold clutch
    Gear 1 (while holding clutch)
    Rev at desired
    Lights go out, lift clutch
    Accelerate

But here's what I do in open wheelers at the moment :
    Rev it up but not hitting the limiter, stay put until lights go out

Lights go out, full press then immediately lift

Modulate gas until I can press it without hearing tyre slip noises

>Also a noob, so correct me if what I'm doing is wrong, but I'll stick to this now because I seem to be getting good launches (In medium AI) but terrible driving :p

8. well I can manage it for a couple of the normal race cars, just not open wheelers.

Maybe I do need to have my clutch pedal depressed, I'll give that one ago.

So, am I supposed to use the clutch to change gears in the open wheeler? When using the paddles, for open wheelers and f458 I have not needed to use the clutch.

9. eyeballpaul

eyeballpaul Rookie

Sorry I wrongly assumed they had no clutch :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. Riesig

Riesig Rookie

If a car doesn't have a clutch pedal (or doesn't make you manipulate the shifter to shift), you don't need to press the clutch pedal.

You could use it for keeping the engine running when you spin though.

11. everlast

everlast Racer

Funny, I've found the launch to be the easiest thing.. I basically floor it and dump the clutch in a H gear car, or click 1st and end up passing 3/4 of the field, all while smoking the tires. I think AC needs a little work in this respect.

Sometimes I'll modulate the slip to what is faster IRL, peak torque RPM until you're spinning about 10% then full traction and full throttle (watch an F1 launch, like that) which is easy to do in the F3 car, but *way* slower than doing a burnout. :/ But it makes for a more fun race!

12. Horus

Horus Alien

I take it you are using default settings for the car, if so they do seem to bog down in first. Use a little clutch at the start or start to play with the car setting a little, drivetrain power could help. ;)
    Once you are happy with your start then slowly change settings ONE AT A TIME to improve and remove what upsets the vehicle. You are starting from a good place with removing all the auto functions just saw amateur mode in your signature, but it will take some time to really learn to be the mechanic as well as the race driver, all the more fun for it also.

Here is a nice little 'README' that helped me on the path of setting up a car. I printed it out, but if you have a second screen, laptop, tablet or smartphone you can use them to read what you want to change, the same if you hover over the settings in game. Remember though only change one thing at a time otherwise you can really screw things up.

Good luck Mr Davidson. :D

Snarffu likes this.
  13. I stuck amateur mode in my SIG when I created account, but I much prefer my custom setup that turns off auto clutch and gears, but leaves TC and SC up full. At least for now lol

14. Felice Pugliese

Felice Pugliese Hardcore Simmer

You can simply try to use a shorter gear ratio of the top gear for more acceleration, do some testing also to decrease the differential wheel slip.

15. Thanks lads, I'll try messing about

16. Take off TC. That should help.

17. I haven't tried turning TC control off yet, however, this problem isn't solely with that car. I tried a drag race with the Zonda...same issue :S I wonder if I'm just dealing with the clutch peddle wrong. I'll try more.

18. muckymu

muckymu Simracer

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all the automatic gear cars need the clutch for the first gear only?
    That's how I don't stall the engine with 1st fear....

19. Yeah I've tried using it for first gear with no luck lol I may just suck

20. muckymu

muckymu Simracer

Try some hotlaps, press the clutch fully at start, engage 1st gear, press the throttle 25% to 50% and slowly release the clutch - if that doesn't help then I can't help :confused:

21. muckymu

muckymu Simracer

for a race with Ai, start with the clutch fully engaged, start pressing the throttle when the red light get at the end, when they're clear engage the 1st gear and release the clutch, that should get you going....