1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Lap time and frustration

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by nrc689, Jun 22, 2019.

1. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

Short answer: https://www.amazon.com/Carroll-Smiths-Engineer-Your-Pocket/dp/0965160017
    Long answer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879380713/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0
    Ultimate answer: https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Dyna...r+race+dynamics&qid=1561888210&s=books&sr=1-1
    Answer to uninterested and lazy people: https://store.steampowered.com/app/523220/Virtual_Race_Car_Engineer/

The way to learn to make setups is either read books - tutorials, or to do a lot of work changing parameters in a setup one by one to understand what effect they have. There are thousands of setup guides at just one google search of distance. No one will give you a setup introduction here as it is like beating a dead horse having in mind that there is so many thousands of tutorials available, also it is painfull to write a wall of text. Nowadays any simracer that doesn't know how to setup a car don't have any excuse to blame for that, because if he hasn't learned is just because he didn't wanted to put the effort to learn.

And to answer your question, they do all those changes just to adjust the balance of the car to their personal liking, because everybody have different preferences in handling, some like understeer, others oversteer, others like high downforce, others low downforce but the potential of the car is still the same unless the base setup is a dissaster or who does the setup changes messes up the setup.

2. dek

dek Racer

I can recommend this one.

51yx-VH7MeL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

3. I am not fast enough nor do I have the experience, to worry to much about setups at this point in time. When and if I feel I get to that point, I will probably just pick one of thousands of setups available with AC for any given car/track, that I know have worked in the past and work off of that. I am still of the opinion a person needs to be fast enough in the first place, or at the very least reached their full potential before they worry about setups. I cant remember who but someone once said, if your not within a second or two of the fasted time no setup is going to help you. Something to that effect anyway, seemed sound advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2019
    dek likes this.
  4. dek

dek Racer

Same with me. Just cant get the transition from real to sim as they are mostly lacking to give me the right feeling I need to be quick. Also I do not have the time to sit down for hours to get it all dialed in.

So I just use the given Setups from ACC, depending of which car i use i take stable or aggressive.

I read those books more to understand the physics going on if I feel the need to change something.

5. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Unfortunately in this forum the "setup discussion" is always very delicate. You can't take the argument that faster people get hurt right away. I am tired of repeating that those who are faster are simply better. There are no excuses. But every time you take the subject asking for advice, the strongest take shelter behind a shield: if you're a blowjob you're just a blowjob. Yes I know, I'll never be an alien. You are stronger even if you drive with the preset setup and a 50 euro steering wheel. That being said, asking for advice is not a crime ... boy.

EDIT: i don't know if google translate well "blowjob".. i mean "scarce" "poor"

[ATF]Shanti likes this.
  6. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Google did not translate well!

warth0g, ignission, fabT and 5 others like this.
  7. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

He is not protecting himself from you, he is protecting himself from the guy one tenth behind. The reality is whatever he shares will help that guy more than you.

8. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Lol bad google wtf.

Regarding the topic however some people seem to think setup is the magic sauce, well it helps but setups are car, track, driver and conditions specific so theres no real shortcuts here. Knowing the basics and being able to feel and see where things can be changed either by adjusting technique or setup.

This is just the same with the laptime frustration there is no magic here, there are basic fundamentals you need to have and then being able to put these into practice. The reasons someone may be slower are so large that there is no general tips that will help everyone get up to the top of the field.

Anyone that actually wants help should look for specific help, give some data and this can be a replay file or a video. Im sure many here will gladly help but without providing anything nobody can give you specific advice that can help by seeing where it is your actually losing time.

nrc689 likes this.
  9. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

My english is not good but some people don't understand because they don't want to understand. I opened this thread to share my frustration with other driver like me.. never intend to insult alien driver thinking they have a magic trick or magic setup... @Aris you can close the thread.

dek likes this.
  10. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Im not insulted or a real alien, why close the thread? If you want help provide a replay or video and people will help you. Without that and just asking for generic help your not going to get much that will actually help you thats not already available online in generic guides and tips.

11. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

martcerv you are even a "gentleman". Is not you..

12. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

But sorry i can't defend even, always my opinion and explicate why i said something... i think to talk with adults. It's frustrating more than 3 second/lap. Obviusly there are many people i like in this forum. Best regards

dek likes this.
  13. iVG

iVG Alien

Well farewell then. You came here to say you're frustrated with lap time, I offered help and you just become more butthurt. It's the setup it's not the setup who cares. If you can't show a real clip with your driving you can't expect to get help.

14. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Dear iVG, if you want to understand why I opened a thread don't stop to read a post, read the whole thread so you understand the purpose. I don't "look" for anything from anyone. The forum is also made to exchange opinions and feelings, we are not talking about world hunger or climate change. Many people must give themselves a great calm (even in the race ....). You will notice that there have been many interesting contributions from users and also funny because it is a game and the spirit should be cheerful. But I repeat: what an effort to explain !!!!

dek likes this.
  15. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

Not sure why you just want to have a closed group of people to complain with rather than actually get some constructive feedback on how improve so you don't have this 3 second frustration killing your otherwise good day. You probably have a hot wife, great job and drive your FXXK at Spa track days but your pace in ACC has you f%$#^. But certainly is your choice if you want to be 3 seconds off the pace forever due to not wanting help. We can be a pretty helpful community if you let us :)

16. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

I have always accepted the advice, I have always respectfully thanked anyone who has something positive to say and to share. Unfortunately the forums cannot translate the real intentions, the writing can be interpreted. My frustration is a joke !!! I don't cry and I don't cut my veins for three seconds. But if I write laughing you obviously can't see it. Sometimes we think we are the only ones that something happens to, my thread had the sole purpose of understanding if other people thought they could not reach certain levels, but all without making it a tragedy. And I thank those who expressed their opinion and gave useful advice. Some people instead immediately put themselves on the defensive and think that you're complaining about their lap times for setup or something. More than that I honestly don't know what to say.

dek likes this.
  17. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Come on guys. :)
    Threads like this are a great opportunity to discuss and share experience. Language barrier can often bring misunderstandings. Just make one step behind everybody and restart, it's a pleasure to read such threads.
    Use a couple more emoticons when writing so that anyone can understand your mood. :) :p

That said, @nrc689 I have good news and bad news for you.
    Good news. It is important for you to understand that 3 seconds is nothing! It is a very very limited time gap

Bad news. I will explain to you why 3 seconds is really a very short amount of gap and why it is soooo difficult to get faster. You mentioned Hungaroring, one of the most difficult circuits to get right for me. Hungaroring has 14 turns. Most of them are also very connected between them and you have to get everything right to be fast, you can't afford to make one bad and regain time to the next one.
    So as I said, 14 turns. This means a 3 second gap is you being slower 2 tenths of a second in every turn and straight in between them. Just 2 tenths of a second.
    Let's brake the turn in phases. Braking, turn in, apex, exit. Those are 4 phases of a turn that an alien is better than you by about 0.05secs. So they brake 0.05 later than you, turn in 0.05s faster than you. Stay on the apex 0.05s better than you and accelerate 0.05s better than you. Always, in every turn, in the whole lap, probably during the whole race.
    This is why why it is really a very short amount of time, and this is why it is so difficult to improve. We're talking mere centimeters braking later, bing closer to the apex, accelerating earlier... and it's VERY hard.
    It takes practice, it can be done, but it takes a VERY disciplined practice regime that takes into account all the tiny details. There is nothing macroscopic here, no braking 10 meters later, going 10kmh faster on the apex, accelerating 10meters sooner. We're talking instead, braking half to 1 meter later, going 1kmh faster on the apex and accelerating 1 meter sooner. On every single turn.

It's hard, it's difficult, exactly because it's nothing

Tim Meuris, nangu, Loeki and 16 others like this.
  18. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Thanks @Aris, sometimes a word of encouragement is enough. :)

deadmeat2k likes this.
  19. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

It's incredible how the drive begin automatic. If i drive in Brands Hatch i do 1.25 all the race. 1.25 high or 1.25 low but can't go under 1.25. This is what i hate. I can't go over my limit. And this is the sensation i wanted to share with others because i stopped driving for a week. Just a low period. But i'll come back ;)

20. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

You shouldn't be frustrated because you can do a certain time consistently and not go below it. People like to think your "learning curve" is a smooth line, but it isn't. Usually your skill will come in relatively big steps, and then there will be a plateau where you don't seem to improve for some time, then comes another step, and then another plateau, they should call it "the learning staircase" instead. :p
    Don't let this discourage you, just play through that period, and don't be too much of a tryhard, otherwise it's probably gonna be really frustrating. Sooner or later, out of nowhere, you'll be able to find a few tenths and you won't even know how.

Tim Meuris, nangu, ignission and 2 others like this.