1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Line & Auto

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Bibbles, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

Was watching a friend of mine race last night as he's been having serious trouble doing the career on easy, so instead of him abandoning the game I popped round to offer up some help ( Im no expert )

I found he was using the line and runing with an auto box I didn't want to alter his way of playing so gave it a few laps to try and show him slow in fast out but boy does that auto box slow you down 50% of the time it puts you in the wrong gear and no control over engine braking and the line is sorry but rubbish so off putting and out of sink, I was so struggling to beat the AI and certainly couldn't match my own times.

So I picked the AC Abarth 500 on a track he knows and set it to manual ( auto clutch ) and no line and after a short while his times got better and better.

When I left he had topped the race he was struggling on and Im sure intime if he sticks with it he will improve greatly.

My point to this thread is guys if any of you are playing in this way ( line & auto ) and struggling do your self a favour and change, yes it will take time and you will get frustrated at times but your racing experience will become more rewarding ( in any racing title )

This is not a dig at anyone that uses these aids mearly just insight at how much better and rewarding your experience will be if you persevere.

Seria17hri11er and Traks1 like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Ideal line and autoblip on server Jul 19, 2023
    Console Lounge Let's discuss the Automatic Gearbox in online racing (mainly console issues) Jan 18, 2017
    Console Lounge Why is auto-clutch is locked online? Sep 25, 2016
    Suggestions Cambio automatico e linea guida Sep 6, 2016
    XBox One Discussions Bug report: no Auto clutch in Online multiplayer Sep 4, 2016
    XBox One Discussions Bug report: no Auto clutch in Online multiplayer Sep 4, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Autoclutch in online races Nov 16, 2015
    Chit Chat Room How can i auto save replays from online races? Oct 15, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Autodromo dell'umbria, magione secrets and line Aug 15, 2015
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Enabling autoblip for your online races! Mar 27, 2015
    ACC General Discussions Small question about time multiplier / offline Apr 16, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions v1.9.8.3 Patch - Broken Online Feb 29, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Line 95 [SOLVED] Feb 26, 2024
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Red Bull Ring Ideal Line Bug Jan 30, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Servers are offline Jan 27, 2024

3. Odbball

Odbball Racer

Most of my racing prior to ac I always used the braking line - mainly due racing online and having limited time to learn tracks. Only time I didn't use the line was Forza 2 where you could set online lobbies to not allow the line.

When I first played AC on Xbox I used the line, however using the line appeared to amplify the fps issue so I turned the line off. The lower fps didn't hurt my eyes as much with it off, so I kept it off.

I would say that the physics of AC are so rewarding, and that is the reason I am now racing without the line.

Does your mate have wheel bibbles - I do and could not go back to any other racing game now after playing AC.

Interesting to know if anyone else has turned the line off since they started playing AC?

bradleyland and Bibbles like this.
  4. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

No we both play with controllers at the moment but hopefully next month we are going to buy a G29 set each ( can't wait ) I didn't mention view in my thread I'm guessing nobody nowadays plays sims in 3rd person ? My personal view is cockpit although I do sometimes use bonnet cam depending on car.

I stopped using a line from my Forza 3 days and switched to a manual with Pcars I couldn't go back now , but I feel Assetto deserves a wheel to get the most out of the game.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Traks1 likes this.
  5. Odbball

Odbball Racer

When you get your wheel you will think - "what have i been doing all these years, why didn't I just buy one earlier".

It's a game changer - literally.

I had the Microsoft Xbox wheel and thought that was brilliant with Forza.
    Then I got a tx wheel with pcars, and was blown away.

Now I have ac and just wow.
    Only person I know who does like the wheel is. ......my wife!

I'm secretly planning to get a pc next.

6. Duster24

Duster24 Simracer

I have never used line, but do use auto box. I started manually ds and letting the box auto up. Noticed my times have improved that way. Currently using Ds4 hoping to get a wheel next month also bibbles

Bibbles likes this.
  7. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

The trick to using the racing line is learning to use it only as a suggestion. Ironically, you have to learn to ignore it. Where you focus is a very important part of racing, and the racing line has a tendency to focus your eyes directly in front of the car (very bad). I still occasionally use it on tracks I'm unfamiliar with, but I've learned a neat trick. If you use the line as a suggestion, you can really easily adjust your apex late/early, depending upon the circumstance. Stay to the outside of the racing line on the way in and you'll late apex, which is good for slow in fast out. Stay to the inside of the racing line, and you'll early apex, which is useful for carrying maximum speed off a straight.

I stopped using the racing line in pCARS a while back, but when I picked up AC, I needed to learn some new tracks. With some experience under my belt, I immediately recognized the issue with eye focus being too close. That adjustment was easy. The revelation about using the "ideal line" as a suggestion was way more helpful. It's something I think even experienced racers can benefit from. I learned some new lines and shaved quite a bit of time in some cases.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Bibbles likes this.
  8. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

I'd sooner learn the track by practice, the perfect line and I'm not saying that is what the line is but the perfect line is great for hot lapping but can go out the window in race .

I like to learn the track not the ingame line. But each to there own , enjoying the game what ever way you play it is the most important thing.

9. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

That's more or less what I'm saying. The line is a suggestion only. Too many people turn on the line and try to follow it as if they're on train tracks. That doesn't work for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that you don't always get to choose your line in a race (because of traffic). If you can learn to look past the line, using it only as a suggestion, you'd be amazed how it can refine your view of the track.

Bibbles likes this.
  10. Exage304

Exage304 Gamer

Turned it off the second it was shown in the menu. Don't even know what it looks like in game. Unless you're brand new to racing they're basically useless, it's better to just race the opponents because they will show you the lines, speeds and approximate braking and acceleration points.

The only time I think I've seen one was when I was training the Drivatar in Forza 1 and it was telling me to scrub off too much speed for corners.

_____

Never raced with auto either unless the manual isn't available (NFS, Burnout, Ridge Racer; looking at you), heck the older arcade games even made the manual like 10% more powerful, you didn't stand a chance racing auto.

You'll get faster by turning off traction control and learning to modulate the throttle (apart from really quick stuff). Stability control should be off too.
    With something like a Alfa MiTo you'll get way quicker times with proper technique and basically everything off except ABS: Factory, TC itself will hold you back a lot especially on slow tight courses.

Good to hear you're getting a wheel Bibbles, it's a serious jump and you will go through a re-learning phase but AC really shines on one.

Bibbles likes this.
  11. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

I find at the moment in AC trying to brake using a controller with abs off no matter how gentle Im am on the trigger causes lock up, I don't use abs with Pcars but in AC there is no way to adjust linear .

Exage304 likes this.
  12. Exage304

Exage304 Gamer

Fair enough, I usually leave ABS on Factory. I found it difficult with the gamepad on GT5 (partly due to poor stock brake setup).

Fact is that ABS in real life provides better braking than the majority of humans in most circumstances.

I have found most of the (older) cars that don't have ABS react well on the G29 pedal set. I did find that a need for some front bias on the Lotus 25. I have not disabled it and tried on the cars that usually have it though.

Bibbles likes this.
  13. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

Stability control in Assetto Corsa is an odd one I have mine set to zero as I have no idea how it works or what it does , It certainly doesn't work like IRL.

14. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

You're right it doesn't, think Stefano said to think of it like a big invisible hand straightening the car back up, I only used it a little while on joypad and never with the wheel

Bibbles likes this.