1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Modded tracks, which are worth going for?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Horus, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Horus

Horus Alien

If you drive around the Kunos tracks you feel lumps and bumps, yet the community addon tracks mostly have no texture. Is this the norm or is there some I have missed that are as good as Kunos tracks?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Modded Tracks won't load Oct 13, 2017
    Console Lounge MODDED TRACKS IN CONSOLES? (A doubt) Oct 24, 2016
    Suggestions Would be nice to filter out servers with modded tracks/cars Mar 4, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Crash bei anderen strecken (aka crash with modded tracks) Feb 8, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Acs.exe crash when trying to play on modded tracks Oct 10, 2014
    Tracks modding Skidsmarks since 0.21.11 on modded tracks Jul 30, 2014
    General modding discussion How to create a competitive AI for Modded Tracks? Jun 12, 2014
    General modding discussion Modded Tracks not working..help guys May 21, 2014
    General modding discussion Modded Tracks NOT LOADING SINCE UPDATE! May 9, 2014
    General modding discussion HOW TO CHANGE F1-6 CAMERA MODDED CARS Jun 1, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds AC modded track CTD mid-sessions Aug 23, 2019
    General modding discussion Some modded cars don't work Aug 5, 2018
    Audio Bugs & Issues Modded car audio not worked for me Jul 20, 2018
    General modding discussion Modded cars tyres flying. Jun 10, 2018
    General modding discussion AI issue on modded track hairpin Apr 2, 2018

3. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

There are, Paul Ricard is on pair if not better then some Kunos tracks, driving feel and bumps as well.
    Hockenheim by tommy is also amazing to drive, graphically lacking just a few notches. Then donnington by brun, Bridgehampton, Luccaring.. Red Bull ring..

beiacos_gr, Alexandr66 and Glaurung like this.
  4. Bridgehampton for sure. Drive that for an hour & tell me there's no bumps :p I'll do an obligatory video plug:

Boris covered the others I drive regularily ( or would if the game would let me drive anything ... )

beiacos_gr and Robin_NL like this.
  5. Tibalotte

Tibalotte Gamer

Tor Poznan, Gentrack 1, Grobnik

6. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I don't know how Paul Ricard can be better than some Kunos tracks if Paul Ricard is Paul Ricard, and Spa-Francorchamps is Spa-Francorchamps, or insert other laserscanned track as example. They will do the track "feel" as is in real life, so doesn't matter if PR feels better for you, even if for e.g Spa is smoother, is as is in real life and can't be compared to PR or other track.

Epistolarius and Jebus like this.
  7. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

+1 for Paul Ricard, Tor Poznań (laserscanned version on the way), Donnington, Luccaring, Grobnik.
    I haven't tried others like Bridgehampton, even though I have it installed.

8. fbiehne

fbiehne Hardcore Simmer

To the already mentioned I would add Salzburgring, Castle Hill, Lake Louise, Barbagallo, Baskerville, Istanbul and Montreal (although the last two I mentioned are not finished yet).

9. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Grobnik, Donnington, Hockenheim all layouts, I just downloaded and tried Sachsenring, it's challenging:) not many bumps...

Wow. I have to get this track.

And the Gt40 skin, where did you get that one?

Thanks.

Cheers
    Robin

10. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

So is Tor Poznan (from racedepartment) laserscanned? Or will there be another laserscanned version (source?)?

11. mr_loczek

mr_loczek Rookie

Poznań it's going to be in laserscanned version.

12. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

It's not laserscanned at the moment, but it will be. Author is the same, thread is here too so you can check it out.

13. NightEye

NightEye Alien

Define laser scanning.. yes it will use laser scan data, but so have most mod tracks. It doesn't compare to Kunos laser scanning as that has a huge resolution to pick up all the bumps in the asphalt.

Agree with most here, btw.
    Donington Park, Barbagallo, Baskerville, Bridgehampton, Lake Louise, Grobnik, Tor Poznan, Lucca Ring, etc. Probably missing a few great ones still.

14. Rigel

Rigel Alien

My Mills metropark has bumps, if it's all you're asking for :D

Alexandr66 likes this.
  15. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

Ive recently gone through all of my mod tracks and sorted them as follows:

Tracks with high detail mesh featuring randomness giving very similar result to kunos LS tracks:
    Aosta (bumpy but from detail rather than physics bug caused by low res mesh, best to use road cars)
    Bridgehampton (the best example of how to do a track)
    Gentrack
    Lake Louise
    LuccaRing
    Modena
    Transfargarasan (less randomness than others but given the length of the track its great)

Tracks with good resolution mesh but lacking much randomness:
    Algarve
    Blackwood/Blackwood Reloaded
    Brno
    Longford 67
    Poznan
    Spielberg
    Thruxton

Tracks with generally lower resolution mesh than kunos non-LS tracks (monza 66, trento, zandvoort) but are still good to drive (although im sure they would be better if they followed lilskis guide linked in my sig)
    Barbagallo
    Donington
    Le Mans
    Miseluk
    Paul Ricard

There are others that had good kunos-style meshes e.g. mills metropark, but i dont like something in the visuals so i dont keep them (low res mountain textures in this case)

and of course also good visual tracks like baskerville and montreal but i dont think the mesh quite there yet in those

16. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

I meant graphically, i enjoy Paul Ricard graphically more then Vallelunga, Nurburgring GP, Mugello etc..

Not sure how you've put PR as a lower mesh track? It's got amazing feedback through the wheel, that's why i drive it that much..

17. Glaurung

Glaurung Hardcore Simmer

AFAIK tracks like Donington, Paul Ricard, Barbagallo are very well made.
    Suggestions about good quality Hill Climb mods would be appreciated too.
    IMO one of the best isKrajiska Zmija from RaceDepartment (hope to have written well :)).

beiacos_gr likes this.
  18. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

its not to say its bad, but its definitely pushing the limits on whats acceptable for the ac physics engine, too low and you get the suspsension oscillation highlighted nicely here: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/rain´s-track-collection-update-28th-oct-mosport-release-eastern-creek-update.27538/page-4#post-576951

and also i have seen numerous people say that tyre heating and general behaviour isnt right on the lower resolution mesh (understandable really)

for reference:
    monza 66
    [​IMG]
    zandvoort
    [​IMG]

trento
    [​IMG]
    paul ricard (4 triangles wide)
    [​IMG]

i think paul ricard is flat enough (in terms of elevation) that it just about gets away with it, but when the author can easily increase the resolution to ac standards (link to lilskis guide in my sig) it seems silly not to do so when it can be done with 0 fps cost. the same applies to all others that i put in that category, i have driven plenty of tracks that are also 4 triangles wide that do suffer from the aforementioned suspension issues, so they are definitely pushing the limit imo and for no good reason.

for reference, the tracks in my first category are generally looking like this:

luccaring (very similar to what you see on kunos mesh)
    [​IMG]

edit: would be interested if @Nick Moxley or any other motion users would agree with my 1st list being the most akin to kunos tracks, and if they have any other suggestions of good examples

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Glaurung and Boris Lozac like this.
  19. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

So is it just the number of 'triangles' that determines the mesh? Btw Zandvoort looks very low res if that's the case, which would confirm why i hate it. And looking at Trento, it seems it has plenty of them things but i still wouldn't put it on a high place when it comes to driving feel. It's wierd that... i honestly feel the track and what is going on on Paul Ricard very much, like i said i'm not driving it all the time cause of the moving trees :)

20. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

Well I just used that as a clear indicator of the general resolution, all of the kunos non ls tracks are around 8 wide (including zandvoort so IMO its still unclear why you hate it, it follows the same style of uniform patterns of triangles as paul ricard that I guess is what you get out of racetrack builder, just with more of them, particularly in the corners where it gets even more dense compared to Paul Ricard which doesn't increase that much in the corners) so modders should use that as a baseline, but as lilski has proved there's no reason you can't get close to an ls style mesh anyway

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

21. NightEye

NightEye Alien

@ears1991 No offense but your examples look more like a visual mesh than a physical mesh. All images I've seen from tracks like Spa, Mugello, 'Ring, etc look a lot more like what tracks should look like (Lilski's example and the like).
    It doesn't mean that any mod track with a proper physics surface is a track that's worth it. But it has the potential at least to give you the feeling you're driving a track.

Glaurung likes this.