1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Real vs game, Tiff Needell and the Audi R8

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by F430_458_F12, Jan 15, 2014.

1. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Interesting video from the wonderful EVO guys demonstrating the difference between a wheel-driven real life environment and a simulated x-box controller game. Most of the video is ok until around 7:10, when Tiff talks drops the magic words "feel" and "grip." The end of the video pretty much sums up why Assetto Corsa is the best racing simulation of 2013-14, because of the manner in which the cars react to steering.

Noteworthy also is Tiff's comments on severe understeer and the need for throttle-controlled turn-in. On another post concerning the MP4, comments were made about the difficulty at obtaining turn-in speed...Tiff pretty much explains this and is just one more reason why AC brings reality, even in its painful moments, to the gaming world.

alex72 likes this.

2. i stopped it as soon as that guy said "im going to drive with this".

Ethan Dean likes this.
  3. Rob Manser

Rob Manser Racer

Fifth Gear and Top Gear before it have done a few features like this. I haven't even bothered watching this one - I subscribe to their You Tube feed so saw it when it was posted up. Everyone knows that Forza and Gran Turismo are games for adults to play over a few beers before they go clubbing or for kids to play on rainy days; taking them seriously is missing the point. I race in real life too, and I realise you have to adapt your senses somewhat to get on with a sim, and I'll never be as quick in Assetto Corsa as I am in real life, but if you can open your mind to PC sims like AC and adapt your senses then they're absolutely bloody brilliant, and I believe AC is the best there is.

4. CTR69

CTR69 Racer

You didn't miss much , dumb comparison anyway. Now if Tiff would play AC with mp4-12c and 458, I'd love to see that.

5. Gijs

Gijs Gamer

Lol!

He should played the game with a wheel.

Cars have the potential to have understeer. It's not as enjoyable fact of physics as oversteer. But it does happen.

And if a gamer post a youtube video with a rubbish driving-style and a lot of understeer (with TC and ABS). It is proof for a hardcore simracer that the sim is arcade and the physics are wrong and the tire model surface temps suck and ...

6. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Agree. Hopefully they hear about the game. Tiff did an interesting 458/MP4 comparison a while back, comparing both real cars to the game's would be very interesting.

7. Horus

Horus Alien

How many cars are driven via a gamepad, outside of that who really wants to drive Fonza - Sunday, Monday (Happy Days) Tuesday, Wednesday (Happy Days) etc etc - Sorry that song always goes through my head when I hear that game title.

It would be much better to see what would happen when they used a wheel, but then how good would Tiff be against some of the best Sim racers, that would be fun, if they used a SIMULATOR not an ARCADE game. :D

8. CTR69

CTR69 Racer

Speaking of R8, seen the latest Harris vid?

These two in AC, njami...

F430_458_F12 and Gijs like this.
  9. Coolio

Coolio Gamer

10. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Very interesting read.

11. Horus

Horus Alien

How much do you think Sony pay Honda for such an advert? :D

To put it in context, would you allow someone without a driving license, say a 12-16 year old, to drive your sports car because he was fast with a gamepad? LOL

vektro and F430_458_F12 like this.
  12. Coolio

Coolio Gamer

What is it you're aiming at, GT Academy and Nissan? I don't think they pay much, if anything at all. Have you seen the number of Nissan's in the GT games? There's like 286 different version of the Skyline alone :p

I think the top guys at Nissan are close friends with the maker of GT, Kazunori Yamauchi, who have collaborated closely with Nissan in designing the UI of Nissan GT-R. The Acadamy is probably a mutual publicity stunt, extremely successful from the looks of things ;)

Horus likes this.

13. Theres an older one where Tiff playes few racers and tells in short what he thinks about them.
    I general when asking a racing driver "how realistic is this sim?", the compliments in the answer usually consists of the graphics and the doodads in the game rather than the feel of it. Most of these sessions are just publicity stunts and have nothing to do with what kind of product is at hand.
    Then again if you just take it with a grain of salt, they are fun to watch and when things like for example Grönholm tearing off a hand brake from RBR rig happen, makes them even hillarious. :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  14. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Yeah, I remember seeing those too. Forgot about em until now.

15. Horus

Horus Alien

I don't know why I said Honda, I'm old and have young children, sometimes the world gets too much! Sorry I meant Nissan, I really have to lay off the late nights. :D

Coolio and F430_458_F12 like this.
  16. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Assetto Corsa deMANDS late nights...esp. with AI on the way ;)

17. Coolio

Coolio Gamer

Get your priorities straight! Because;

[​IMG]

18. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

I've never seen the part Tiff testing those games/sims. He chose Dirt... Though he was right about iRacing, I think RBR(and LFS which he both didn't testdrive) was the best in terms of handling/feel/tyres/physics. Until AC came out:)

Cheers
    Robin

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  19. spliff

spliff Gamer

i stopped here: "simulated x-box controller game"