1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Still Looks Fake (Not a Rant/ Bash on AC)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by justDrive, Jan 27, 2014.

1. justDrive

justDrive Racer

So last night before I went to bed I tried out AC again for the first time in a few weeks with the BMW z4 gt3 with hard tires and full fuel and I have to say the NTM is amazing, but that's not my point for the thread.
    AC, as well as every other newer modern racing game, still looks fake to me. Looking at screen shots, driving in game, etc. never match up to what my view is on life outside or inside a car. What is puzzling to me is that I can't even tell what makes things look false to me, I just can tell the game looks like a game and not real life. Does anyone have these same problems? Do you think there is a physiological problem that I sub-consciously know its fake or is there something else? Maybe when it comes to driving in AC, and other sims I already know what it is like to drive at speeds on a track irl compared to in a sim?
    The reason I bring this up is because AC seems to be the closest to photo-realism, but at the same time so far away.

Anuj likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues ACC´s anti aliasing still looks very ugly.. Jan 22, 2021
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Amd max settings still looks bad Jan 24, 2015
    ACC Troubleshooting Cars disappearing, but still in the session Apr 8, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions GT2 Packed still locked Mar 3, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Is Cheating in ACC still possible -Seriously- Dec 13, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC Shared Memory: AC version still reports 1.7 Apr 19, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Throttle blip OFF but still blipping. Feb 15, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions when are we getting the next Update ? Setups still broken Jan 13, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions American DLC - One great track, still must have Nov 12, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Are there still brake pedal problems with logitech g29? Nov 9, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions XBOXXS version is still a joke after so long time ? Oct 30, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Is there still support for Assetto Corsa? Oct 9, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Still... disconnected Sep 29, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Update 1.7.13 - XBox Series X - Fanatec Podium DD2 - FFB still not working Jul 6, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Compeotizione - G923 - turning steering wheel freezes graphics but sound still plays Mar 27, 2022

3. The answer is simple. Which game/sim do you consider near real life? Because every sim, is a SIMULATOR, not real life. About driving, for me, this is the most complete i ever tried, full of infos about car, handling, etc.. graphics is under development, but really good for a "videogame". Photo realism is just utopia with actual technology.
    About performance comparison on real track you can find useful example here in the forum, because some people have shown that AC is really close to real car perfomance and timing. Under development yet, but the best out there at the moment (forget about competitivity, like iR). :D

Queequeg, phil and alex72 like this.
  4. justDrive

justDrive Racer

I have stated that before about performance, I know that it will always be a "sim" in terms of driving feel. That is the definition of the simulation anyways, to attempt to represent a real life situation through imitation. I'm only talking about graphically, and how even though I do not notice what is "wrong" graphically, I still can tell it is a simulation of visuals, and I don't know why I can tell. The wonders of the human mind...

5. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

try saturating it in game, i think mine is 80%.

my issue has always been the vibrancy in colours.

Patrik Marek likes this.
  6. harryorlsen

harryorlsen Racer

For more real feeling you will need an upgrade. TrackIR is not so expensive x check this vid from Toykilla!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. DaveH36

DaveH36 Gamer

For me its the sense that I'm actually in the scene driving the car. Whatever it is that creates that makes it real for me. I think we'll always be able to tell visually its a simulation. Having said that, AC looks so much more realistic that say, rfactor 2, which also has good physics and is fun to drive. Yet next to AC, to me it looks like a cartoon.

8. Fahim

Fahim Racer

Put contrast and sharpness really high lol. just drive I know what you mean. it's probably one of if not best though on pc graphically.

9. alex72

alex72 Alien

To me AC can look very realistic at times and less realistic other times. Just tested the "about to rain" cfg mod and looking at replays etc it looks amazingly real. With the DX11 engine i think Kunos and community will be able to make it look really good in the end.

Also its about driving for me and this sim just feels so damn good so i dont really care. Would be nice with small extra effects (that dont really matter as such) like grass flying around when leavaing the track and maybe some rubber parts on the track the more you drive. Small things that can make it look more "alive" and real. But i think it looks great already as it is. Games usually go for full color bonanza and killer bloom etc, Kunos havent with AC and it looks more real than many other titles - to me at least.

insertcoolname, F1Racer and Sauac like this.
  10. magzire

magzire Alien

Must be from iRacing. That has the best photo-realism experience to date.
    Their newer tracks look super sharp and clear (no jaggies). Yet you can get amazing FPS.
    Guess its finding the right balance of eye candy. PCARS screenshots look the best but doesn't translate it into the actual driving.

11. petesky

petesky Simracer

i don't think any game looks real atm, the key is lighting and how materials reflect off it, also shadows. The hardware isnt good enough...in 20 years possibly.

Queequeg and Lingomancer like this.
  12. This.

13. Lingomancer

Lingomancer Gamer

No matter how many polygons they use to model the cars, or how accurate the laser-scanned tracks are, the game will never look real without realistic lighting. That's where most PC sims fail.

totalo and petesky like this.
  14. justDrive

justDrive Racer

So what is bad about the lighting? or just everything is wrong?

15. I know that when modders get their hands on to the HDR profile, things start to happen.
    Give it time, and while waiting for that, play with the saturation and the colours, FOV and seat position, TrackIR, Triple Screen etc...

16. petesky

petesky Simracer

im no graphics expert, i think the way how light is reflected/absorbed by different materials is not simulated? GT5's lighting looks the best i feel, if you took AC's models and textures and gave gt5's lighting it'll look very good. I remember when daytona and sega rally came out I thought they looked 'real', what a difference 20 years have made.

Patrik Marek likes this.
  17. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

Graphics look great to me, I wish there was more detail in the trees, but the road, lighting, and colors look great.

18. petesky

petesky Simracer

I actually think trees and grass in AC looks amazing! Will be good if the trees swayed a bit..

19. BMASTER

BMASTER Hardcore Simmer

The lightning is the most important thing for graphics. It can even make a game like CS1.6 look pretty damn good. And atm the lightning in AC isn't that sort of eyecandy. It's good, but nothing special or even outstanding.
    I tried to edit the hdr.ini and got a pretty good result. At least for me it's pretty good. Does anyone know, if we can make separate hdr.ini-files for each track?
    I will share the ini-file, when I'm at home.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Queequeg likes this.
  20. 3316V

3316V Alien

21. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

Not sure if trolling?!
    Never played iRacing but watched several 1080p videos of it and can safely say it might have better lighting but models (instrument panels) and textures (tracks, ambience) seem archaic at best.

Chevalier D'Harmental likes this.