1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Transition from Console 'sims' to AC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Wrongfire, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

Hey, I was actually just curious if im one of the only ones here who came over from the Forza series? Or maybe GT?

Man, I have over 700 hours on the Forza series and it's the series I grew to love cars with. I thought it was great for a very long time, and only recently found it to be a big cash grab (Mostly to do with Forza 5) and decided to go simulator hunting.
    In that game I was beginning to grow tired of all the tracks, and all the cars started to feel the same. It felt like if I could drive a Honda fit quickly, I could drive a Zonda R fast. All the cars just felt similar when you had an understanding of the physics.

After getting AC, I feel like my interest in these cars and tracks has skyrocketed again. The difference between every single car is amazing, and led me to purchasing a G27, which has made the game amazing to play. Mugello, which in Forza I found to be dull and lifeless, is a actually a very cool track, with nuances I never noticed before.
    At the same time, I was really good at Forza, and suddenly feel very slow in AC. Pushing myself to set good lap times will more often then not cause a spinout or crash. It's like im relearning how to drive again!
    I cant wait to get AI so I can get some real practice racing, and then race online for some serious fun.

All in all, AC is a much more impressive beast, and It's one of the best purchases ive made.
    I played Forza again the other day at my friends house, I felt like it was need for speed, the ease of control was absurd.
    Maybe a good starter 'sim' but Im glad I moved on!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Weather transitions bugged since 1.8? Jan 23, 2022
    ACC User Interface Session transitions screens Nov 13, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer [1.5.8] Server-side timeMultiplier does not affect weather transition - issue is Wine, no solution Oct 7, 2020
    ACC Physics Dry to wet tyres transition, and aero balance changes Oct 5, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Visual artefacts in color gradients/shadow transition May 27, 2020
    ACC Physics Weird stuff happening post v1.4.2 [Setup menu, reset and session transition issue - merged threads] May 9, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Stepped day/night transitions May 1, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Last Oculus (CV1) update or ACC v.1.2 ->1.2.1 transition killed FPS Dec 19, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars [1.1.2] Nurburgring Overhead Signs - Near/Far Transition Nov 1, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Day to Night transition time 7:54PM-8:05ish PM Mar 16, 2019
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Evening to Night Transition - Graphics bug Mar 14, 2019
    General modding discussion Camera transition effect Hello! Is it possible to remove that fade effect in the transition of cam Jan 18, 2018
    Console Lounge TRANSITION TO PC GAMING ADVICE May 27, 2017
    Screens & Videos advice on camera transitions Feb 19, 2017
    Chit Chat Room night lighting ( 24hr transition ) Feb 16, 2017

3. JocoG

JocoG Simracer

Ahoy, I cheerish your conversion and may half of the Forza drivers do the same! :rolleyes::D

Leemstradamus likes this.
  4. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

Ex-Forza and ex-F1-201xx here. It's funny, Steam says last I played F1 2013 was 12/5/2013 (I'd moved from console to PC for F1 2013). Guess when I got AC....

Leemstradamus likes this.
  5. mobucks

mobucks Rookie

Never played forza. I've been sim racing since EA's F1 2000. Gran Tourismo 5 with a proper steering wheel is actually pretty impressive. I mean the driving is good, but the lousy AI/no damage/ ugly tracks don't really make up for it.

Welcome to sim racing with a steering wheel. I would try and locate Richard Burn's Rally. Really great sim.

To me finding hotlap is good fun but consistancy is more rewarding. Cheers!

6. I loved the original Forza, REALLY loved Forza 2 (pretty much played on-line everyday for several hours for a couple years), liked Forza 3 (they messed up multiplayer so bad), got into pc sims, played Forza 4 for a few weeks just to relax with a controller and play with a 1977 Trans Am and got bored real quick.

7. antz360

antz360 Gamer

I came over from forza 4.

Dribbled in some gt before that but forza 4 took everything to a whole new level for me. Spot on sounds, great selection of cars and overall I just appreciated how much love for cars the game consisted of with things like topgear challenges etc. But I have always been a pc gamer first and decided to give AC a shot. Was initially playing with keyboard + mouse and just loved the weight transfer, ended up buying a DF:GT.

Now that I have a wheel, the sim is pretty good but I was wish there were more "normal" cars & and overall greater variety. Getting a bit sick of the beemers/lotuses...want some lambo's/porshes/veyrons/fords/chevy's etc. Also a good test of a sim is to see how the in sim version of the car compares to the irl one and with all these super cars you can't really do that vs something like a mustang or evo which allot more people would have driven.

Wrongfire likes this.
  8. EyeAmZ

EyeAmZ Gamer

Coming from Forza 4 myself. Decided to put the $500 I wouldn't have spent on getting the Xbone into upgrading my PC. While I'll miss th...nope never mind I'm not gonna miss anything from the Forza series that I won't be able to enjoy in AC. Maybe I'll miss the variety of cars but it always boiled down to me driving the same couple of cars anyway.

9. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

Oh I had Richard Burns Rally awhile back :D
    I had a very very cheap steering wheel with 90 degrees, no force feedback, no clutch, no gear shifter.
    But my god was that game fun, ill have to pick it up again and play it with a proper wheel!

10. Asterix

Asterix Gamer

The only console racer I enjoyed was RacePro - It looked rubbish but some of the racing was really good. Tight, close and realistic when 'rubbing'.

11. alex72

alex72 Alien

Im never owned a console (computers since mid 80's), but its always nice to see when people find a sim and realize how much more awesome and challening they are. It really makes up for all the "no! -input any car game- is much better and more realistic than all the others!" you see everyday all over the net. :D

AC is awesome, and i had to re-program my own driving as well, and damn it felt good when i started to "get it". I get energy drained form hard concentration, but still super happy from feeling the power of the cars and from when i manage to take corners perfectly. I guess thats how real life racing is at the limit as well, ergo, AC rocks. :)

Its gonna be even better when we all can meet up on the tracks and have fun together!

12. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

I have skipped the last gen of consoles altogether, but my first big driving game was GT4 on PS2 followed by Enthusia also on PS2. I am actually semi considering getting a PS3+GT6 (Forza is out as I have a Logitech wheel and for some stupid licencing reason they do not work with Xbox360). Reading threads like this one puts a dampener on such plans though :) But, I do miss the single player experience of those games, really hope Kunos will at least come close with its single player.

13. Ex-Forza myself, and could not find one thing in the OP to disagree with, guess this is our new home! :)

Thomas Cameron and bigbawmcgraw like this.
  14. Forza vet myself and man was i good at it. Its like a whole different world now. And thats a good thing. I'm not setting the leaderboards on fire and it actually feels good to have a new challenge. I'm really looking forward to AC multiplayer. The only thing i do miss about my console is the whole xbox live infastructure if ya get what i'm saying. I'll gladly trade that though for the awesome physics this game provides compared to say forza or GT.

Wrongfire likes this.
  15. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

The most recent console racer(s) I played were Gran Turismo 1,2,3 and 4. After that I kinda moved to the PC after wanting a more realistic experience, so after I bought GTL and GTR2 and raced them for a good few years. Getting a wheel was probably the best £80 I spent (Driving Force Pro - purchased in 2005), and I still have it and it still works flawlessly 9 years on.

16. panosdimp

panosdimp Gamer

GTL ,GTR2,RACE07 the king is almost dead, long live the king asseto corsa

17. mr munkee

mr munkee Gamer

I didn't exactly come from console "sims", but I did play them a little. I've always been into racing games, mostly different arcade ones. I was one of the people that thought sim racing games were dumb and boring. I always thought Forza and GT were lame. I had tried the demo of Forza 2 before and still didn't care, but then one day I felt like re downloading it. That time I tried it something clicked and I randomly found it really fun. In the same way I thought tactical shooters are more fun than run-n-gun shooters, where you have to actually try, be careful, and be deliberate. When I tried the Forza 2 demo, Forza 3 had already been out, so I went and bought that. The career in those games is so long, I barely did anything in it and then just stopped playing it. So I was never really into Forza, but it sparked my interest in the path to more realistic racing games.

Since then, I had switched to PC gaming and was just wanting a PC sim like Forza or GT, where a huge big budget company would make a game with hundreds of cars and a huge selection of tracks. So I started looking at all the games on PC, and instead of one big game, it seemed like there were just a bunch of small games with a small amount of cars and tracks. I didn't want to dilute my library with a bunch of similar games, I just wanted one. I randomly got a DFGT on amazon when I saw it for $70 dollars. I didn't get it for any specific reason other than the price, and the fact that I had been wanting a wheel in general. Getting a wheel caused me to look into sims more and what they all offered. I downloaded demos and tried some older games. I played Race 07 for a little, but only messed around, then I tried RRRE for a bit. I downloaded the rFactor 2 demo and that seemed like the best option so far. I had heard about Assetto Corsa but only as a name. Then as I was sort of divided in what to devote to, AC came out as early access and it just seemed like everything that I wanted. Though I was still a little disappointed it wasn't going to be "huge" like Forza/GT.

After playing it though, I totally changed my mind about the content thing. I don't need hundreds of cars or tracks, when you play a real sim like AC, a few cars and a few tracks really is a whole lot more content than the hundreds of cars in those other games. It seems like AC is the game that attracts the Forza/GT crowd the most. Out of all the PC sims it definitely has the image. A cool sounding Italian name, a lot of "clean" normal cars (as in not a livery-covered race car). So when people always go on different AC forums and ask for features that Forza/GT have or ask if it will have hundreds of cars, I understand their position. Though I don't think this game needs to be like those at all, and if those people actually wanted a realistic sim and played it and got into it I think they'd agree. I actually think a high quality sim like AC with the amount of content it will have + modding is better than 1000 bland cars from the devs.

Sorry for the long random post :p

Also I just bought RBR on amazon for like $7, I really like rally games. I've played all the DiRT games and the first is still my favorite.

18. isamu

isamu Racer

Total arcade racing nutjob! Came from Ridge Racer series, Daytona USA, Daytona 2, Sega Rally, OutRun 1 and 2, F-Zero GX, Wangan Midnight, Track mania Sunrise, Scud Race.

And you know what? I *STILL* enjoy those games more than any racing sims! There's no shame in your arcade racing game :)

19. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Don't be shy. Join a racing community and join in TeamSpeak with them. Same patter, different guys :)

Thomas Cameron likes this.
  20. Nullbert

Nullbert Gamer

Haha... I still play Trackmania united forever and TM2 stadium.

21. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I bought both AC and Trackmania 2 in the recent Steam sale :)