1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Triple Screen Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by AT_RubberDuck, Sep 12, 2018.

1. SharpEyez

SharpEyez Rookie

Where can I download this? seems like its a dedicated asset to the game's engine UE?

2. FX2K

FX2K Racer

Its built in to the game. Open the game using the No HMD option (4th)
    Then jump in the car, press esc, go to view settings.
    Adjust the projection correction at the bottom.

The higher you go, the worse the centre screen image looks, but the better the outer screen warping is reduced.

Chriss likes this.
  3. SharpEyez

SharpEyez Rookie

Thanks I will try it out!

4. In game, just go the track, Then you will see it under View Settings.

5. hunt3r972

hunt3r972 Rookie

OK guys I found a compromise for the 1.0 correction. Just don't go over 45 FOV and keep resolution scale to 120. This is how it looks for me in the audi (3x24" 5760x1080).

Attached Files:

6. johndough247

johndough247 Rookie

Let me start by saying I built a whole new PC from scratch 8 months ago (8700K and RTX 2080) just for ACC. I love AC1 and couldn't wait for ACC to come to fruition...so this is not any attempt at trolling; I just want Kunos to succeed like they did with AC1.

That said, my problem with this whole triple screen "solution" is, at the end of the day, it's still just one viewport stretched beyond it's intended screen space (AKA triple widescreens) and then squished at the sides, right? Then the horizontal FOV I would have gained in proper triple screen projection is not obtainable anymore without severe compromises.

In AC1 (and all other sims) I have an amazing 178 degrees of horizontal FOV thanks to multiview projection...which works out to 36 degrees of vertical FOV; mathematically correct for my setup. In ACC however, the closest I can ever get to that horizontal FOV, using what is still a single screen projection (Panini post-processing or not), is using 90 degree vertical FOV, which of course is crazy to use on landscape-orientated widescreen monitors. In the virtual car, you'd be looking 45 degrees down at the floor/pedals of the car, to 45 degrees up into the sky...which then get's compressed down to fit on a vertically narrow widescreen monitor. The human eye doesn't even have 90 degrees of vertical FOV, much less trying to squeeze all that onto a 16:9 monitor. All that, to get about 120 degrees of horizontal (side to side) view...which is still nowhere near the triple screen horizontal view. At the end of the day, using a closer to accurate FOV, you're still just getting the same view you'd get by using your center monitor only, just over a wider physical space and with a bigger hit on performance AND a reduction in graphical clarity due to the Panini correction.

Let's call a spade a spade: this is not a triple monitor solution. The horizontal view this gives us, Panini process or not, is in some ways the equivalent of telling a VR user not to turn his head left or right. Now don't get me wrong: I know proper multiview projection also adds a performance hit, but the tradeoffs are at least worth it (180 horizontal FOV is possible and graphical clarity stays intact)...this is not that.

Try it in the NSX or the Mclaren or a couple other cars...headrest gets in the way of the entire passenger side. I think the car's virtual racing seat should be adjustable (and independent of the driver eyes' position), or be moved as far back as realistically possible.

I use the same resolution as you (well, bezel corrected to 5860x1080)...I notice your pictures show no cars around, have you tried it with at least a 24 car grid? Increasing the resolution scale that much at these resolutions spells trouble for even the mightiest of PCs in an actual race...and that's not even factoring in rain and night races.

As your numbers show, this is not feasible under racing conditions. My testing last night verified pretty much the same but worse, since I test on full grids in various weather conditions. As mentioned above, there isn't much more powerful you could build...the only step up GPU-wise from my MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2080 8GB (which I overclocked even more) is a 2080 Ti...that's a hefty upgrade to pay for just approx. 6 - 12 FPS more...hopefully more optimizations can be made, but again...ain't nothing like the real (triple screen) thing, baby.

7. its.me

its.me Racer

Just tried, but I'm not happy with this feature.

8. Hi mate,
    You need to use bezel correction, the image is duplicating, look bezel right side. The digital clock and air vent.

f.e.negroni likes this.
  9. hunt3r972

hunt3r972 Rookie

I might think about it but I don't really care about it right now. I'm just trying to find a good compromise here.

It doesn't annoy me that much for racing tbh. That being said I have to admit we would need more space to see on right.

10. Whitestar

Whitestar Hardcore Simmer

I'm fairly happy with this feature. The blurryness isn't nice, but I think I would rather have that then warped side screens. Driving felt a lot more natural now – I seem to be hitting apexes much easier.
    I hope there will be performance optimizations so that I can up the res scale to reduce the blurryness.

For now I'm using 0.7 projection and adjusting fov accordingly.

Tim Meuris and FX2K like this.
  11. FX2K

FX2K Racer

The solution works better than I thought it would, it is a shame about the image quality, but after spending quite a bit of time tweaking settings here there and everywhere, I personally have it at a level that I find comfortable enough. Performance took a hit, since I increased the resolution scale to 125% but I'm still just above 60fps.

Tim Meuris and Whitestar like this.
  12. Whitestar

Whitestar Hardcore Simmer

How much did the jump to 125% cost you in terms of fps?
    And I assume you don't get 60 fps at night in rain and with a full grid?

13. FX2K

FX2K Racer

I wish I could answer that one.. I changed too many things all at once just looking for the sweet spot. At a guess I would say 20fps where lost.
    In rain at night, my worst case scenario that I remember is about 48fps but that's usually brief or at the starting grid when I'm mid-pack. The majority of the time it sits around 60.
    I haven't properly tested, just glance to the far right for the fps counter occasionally and I haven't done lots of night / rain races yet, but It looks better at night :p less Aliasing issues

Whitestar likes this.
  14. henkjansmits

henkjansmits Simracer

This feature sounds like I'm going to stick with triples angled at 20° with just Nvidia surround. With correct FOV for me (23°) the distortion is okish.

Im not even too fussed about a proper solution unless they improve general performance because proper triple screen rendering probably means that my FPS will go from 70-80 (fine) to 50-60 (very bad).

15. I've done some messing about with the projection correction and resolution scaling trying to figure out a compromise that works for me and I'm coming up empty handed. My computer (i5 3570k, GTX 970) is due for an upgrade so I'm already finding myself using 85% resolution scaling to obtain 60fps with some other cars on the grid. Adding in more distortion/loss of resolution from the projection correction and trying to correct it with bumping up the resolution scaling isn't a good compromise for me.

As much as I DO want a proper solution, I'm just going to deal with some warping on my side screens for now. Thankfully I have articulating monitor arms so I can move them pretty freely and adjust my fov/in car view to work for me.

16. f.e.negroni

f.e.negroni Racer

Agree

And the worst thing for me is that despite running at 85% resolution and removing some inessential detail (foliage? Really? Maybe in replays...) what really gets me the most is the drawing distance. It sucks!
    Why didn’t they think of this? In iRacing, you can remove objects that are not essential so you can keep the drawing distance to the max. Who cares about spectators? Other than in replays, it’s just irrelevant at best, a distraction at worst.
    I now have shadows to high and drawing distance to Epic. But I bet if they could lower the shadow detail and the number of track side objects (wind turbines... really?) we could get an extra 30-60 FPS without any loss in essential visual quality.

I want the track textures at max, effects too. The spectators gone! Car textures I could care less. mid to low will do for me.

Again all this detail looks great in replays but when racing neck and neck, it really just doesn’t matter that much, and it certainly doesn’t matter to players like us who don’t have a grand for a 2080ti

FX2K likes this.
  17. FX2K

FX2K Racer

I might have a 2080ti.. but I still would like to turn some more of these things off to get better fps, I struggled to find a balance of clarity vs fps - getting (48 - 65) and some things, like shadows.. I am forced to have on ultra because of the cars contact shadows. All of the other shadows I couldn't care less about, but I can't deal with floating cars.. so :p A lot of the stuff just adds up to make it look worse, shadows that pop in 2m away from you, off track stuff that flickers like crazy because of the AA issues.. etc.

Whilst I am here, in this thread, I may as well mention that the virtual mirror needs fixing when you use the projection correction. Please!
    Also, it seems that the draw distance isn't scaled, so whilst you are effectively "zooming in" the central screen image, the draw distance of things isn't being adjusted accordingly.. referring to contact shadows mainly. They now disappear way too early, imo. LODS also.

f.e.negroni likes this.
  18. f.e.negroni

f.e.negroni Racer

A point about shadows while we are on the topic of getting more FPS for the buck.

In iRacing I first had shadows that looked to my untrained eye as horrid. Very blocky. I then decided to go the level to the max. Then at maximum level of detail I discovered they were really taxing on the system. I then lowered them back down. I didn’t like them blocky, took a little bit away from the immersion but after a while I really understood that it was better to have all the shadows around you, moving fast, not appearing out of nowhere, even if blocky rather than beautiful shadows that would cripple the system.

My personal opinion (I was a software developer but not a games developer) is that UE4 really isn’t suited for racing (that’s no sursprise) but even more is that it seems tailored to photographic quality, not rendering speed.

ilFreddo76, Tim Meuris and FX2K like this.
  19. OK, the only way to use the "work around" projection correction is with FXA AA, Temporal will make everything too blurry, even using 150% Res.
    The problem is FXA is awful, the flickering is really bad. So either they manage to fix the AA or for me is just impossible to race. I really want to play ACC but i am afraid on these conditions is no go.
    =/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    LeDude83 and menos | M6 like this.
  20. Zinny

Zinny Gamer

I could not agree with you more. It seems odd to have to have coding in 2019 that has cars floating. Hard to keep your off of the floating cars in front of you.