1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Unstable Braking .. Why ??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Lazybug, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

Currently doing BMW E30 Grp A@Monza, the car always go right under heavy braking after the 1st right left turn (chicane ?), not understand why it happen.
    Thanks for the concern.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Physics Bugs & Issues BMW Z4 (road car) very unstable during braking Jun 20, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Lotus evora gtc unstable braking Dec 5, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Setup advice, please; unstable braking Jun 25, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting Any kind of frame limiter or VSYNC will cause ACC to crash, but image is unstable without it Jul 4, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting [1.8.18] Fatal Error [unstable RAM] Aug 26, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Crash : UE4-AC Fatal Error [Unstable RAM/GPU clocks] May 9, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting UAE4 error, please help me.. [Unstable GPU] May 5, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game crash EU4-AC2 or PC freeze [unstable CPU auto OC] Feb 6, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Detection of unstable client connection and disabling of collisions not works on race start Jul 2, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Unstable FPS, even with good frame times Jan 1, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting 1.5.9 Repeated Fatal Crash Error - Logs [D3D device lost / hung due to unstable OC] Nov 13, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds ping unstable May 24, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC v1.05 the most unstable yet Jun 24, 2019
    ACC General Discussions The Porsche in game is very unstable @ Zolder Apr 1, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Unstable FPS in VR...(45-90) Feb 24, 2019

3. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

This car has no ABS, you are slamming on the brakes so wheels are locking. Try to be more gentle with the brake pedal.

Lazybug likes this.
  4. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

Then why it not happen on the 1st chicane ?? Thats what i dont understand cause i brake the same way

5. MaxDamage75

MaxDamage75 Gamer

Maybe the surface is not the same , maybe a 0.05 :) degree sloped on the left or on the right and the tyres have not the same grip on the tarmac.

Lazybug likes this.
  6. Festa_PWR

Festa_PWR Alien

Try a higher brake bias. Currently on 66, try 75.

From the vids, your rears are locking up before the fronts.

Lazybug likes this.
  7. Aceking

Aceking Racer

Also, they need to develope some heat in them as when cold will react adversely.

Lazybug likes this.
  8. muckymu

muckymu Simracer

All I see is that you brake at 100% and lock the wheels, and you don't even lift your foot a bit to stop it, but maybe that was to emphasize your point.
    In any case, if you keep the wheels locked like that, it can only go pear shaped, right or left.

Turk and Lazybug like this.
  9. iVG

iVG Alien

Your problem is your brake input. There is a slight slope, so car the car is generally more unstable under braking there. Don't let more than 1 wheel lock up at any time for more than a split second. You'll brake sooner if you do that as you keep the wheels rolling instead of scrubbing the asphalt. Take care and work on your footwork!

Lazybug and Kristaps like this.
  10. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

I gave it a try and can confirm that the car will go right if you lock the wheels at this place whatever the setup.

As others said the solution is a better footwork on the brake pedal. Changing the brake bias will not help improving things, the car will just feel less unstable when you lock. In addition, moving the brake bias to the front will increase your braking distance on the M3.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Queequeg, Lazybug and Kristaps like this.
  11. Nao

Nao Alien

As much I agree on importance of proper braking technique, 66 balance is a little too much. It's really obvious during braking into T1 that even without downshifting the car is limited in grip on the rears.
    I personally used the default 69 for great results, and i believe around ~68 gives the best braking force.

@OP If you are lacking turn in power with higher brake balance (during trail-braking), instead of moving the brake balance so far backward, try shifting down earlier when going into the turn, decrease front toe (by a lot, to something like -0,15 or even above -0,2), lower coast diff power or just try smoother weight transition (avoiding front inside lockup while keeping the front wheels loaded with good amount of braking).

Lazybug likes this.
  12. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Racer

i've noticed the braking instability is more substantial now. devs may have bumped that feature up. it's quite noticeable around the Nurburgring.

13. Darren Marsh

Darren Marsh Racer

iRacing had an issue with road camber at one point which produced the same results. The car would want to veer away from the road crown (down the slope) under heavy/locked braking. Makes me wonder if Kunos have made a similar mistake in the physics.

14. iVG

iVG Alien

Tracks are laser scanned so no mistakes there, Darren.

@Nao - While I agree on the rest you'd stated, diff power change won't help during braking as the diff is lock in the opposite direction - coast, as the pre load diff is locked at this car, power setting alone won't come into play until you get on the power. At least that's my understanding.

Lazybug likes this.
  15. Nao

Nao Alien

Ah good catch, can't edit that now thou :(.
    By "power" i meant strength, as in "coast differential lock strength".

iVG and Lazybug like this.
  16. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

Thanks for all the tips though i actually not understand those coast or diff power thing; Yeah no such problem using 68/69 brake bias but car a little bit hard to turn in with trail braking .. in the 1st 2 chicane. I lost alot of time there thats why i try to lesser the brake bias.

17. martcerv

martcerv Alien

If you look at your temps and pressures before applying brakes there the left side is quite a bit warmer then the right also higher pressure on the left for the same reason. Left side will have more grip and so will likely lock before the right side causing the car to go right here as you dont have even traction at each corner. Seeing as there is a high load sweeping right hander before this chicane so the left side will generally always have a temp and pressure difference.

Braking the way you are is never going to work either so avoid locking up as much as possible, some corners its quite tricky the avoid locking the inside front tyre as its the least loaded but if your getting into a complete lock you have no control. Even if it didnt go right you would end up going straight on and as soon as you notice locking wheels you should release pressure and use less the next time around.

Lazybug likes this.
  18. Nao

Nao Alien

Try the toe out on front wheels then. Something like a setting of "10" should do the trick.

Lazybug likes this.
  19. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

By the way one question about this brake bias thing .. i found many people recommend to use 21 steps setup Guide to tune the car and now lets see what step 4 is about :->
    [​IMG]
    So is this really the way ?? The reason why i keep on to lower the brake bias to rear is because i found my front whee lock first .. but @Nao (Current WR holder in this combo) say actually he is using 69 ??
    I must say many of thses setup guides are very very confusing, at least to me :confused::confused::confused:

Yeah i do realize all you say about front left right tyre's temp & psi different but i have no idea at all how to make my right tyre warmer (-2psi for right tyre or increase bump didnt work). Also i understand what you say about braking too, i actually not asking why my car unstable like that but i am asking why it unstable in 2nd chicane but not 1st chicane (top speed area), but i guess i know the reason now thanks to previous comments.
    Thanks again for all the tips and better if any idea to make my right tyre warmer .. i fail to find a way to achieve that .. may be i should increase the negative camber for this tyre ??

To be honest i do try extreme toe-in & toe-out but no different ... may be its because my braking is too bad ... i think i should improve that first. I hardly do more than 2 laps without crashing atm :D (Especially on the 2nd chicane, either crash or get penalties)

Its good Codemaster announce new Grid: Autosport, so i can play that game to relax a bit every time i feel too frustrated playing this game.

Queequeg and ThereIs0nly0ne like this.
  20. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Do not take the setup Guides to the letter. Setup guides are there to teach you what every setup parameter does, but then you need to interpreter this to your needs. For example, locking all 4 wheels together, is great if you need to do braking stop benchmarks on a straight flat line. Try do this on a downhill turning braking point like the one at T1 nurburgring or Imola Rivazza and you'll understand what a bad advice it is. 2nd Monza chicane is a similar example but much more subtle... let's analyze why.

You say your left tyres are hotter than the right and you don't understand why or how to cure this.
    You can't. Cars and tyres are a "living thing". They react and change, depending on how you drive and where you drive them.
    2nd chicane (seconda variante) at monza is arriving fast just after "curva grande", that long right hander you take flat out.
    It might seem like an easy turn, but you're travelling at over 200km/h and your tyres generate an incredible amount of heat during that turn. The result is that you arrive at 2nd chicane with more temperature at your left tyres than your rights and more importantly more pressure at your left tyres.
    So you do arrive at that braking zone which also has some camber, it's not flat level, with a quite unbalanced car. By the way, yes Monza is laser scan and allow me to say, modesty apart, that it is the BEST simulated Monza track there is... I never really liked Monza a lot, but in AC version it has so many little details that takes driving to a whole different level.

Also, I notice that you're driving a quite "extreme" setup. Maybe a setup you got from a top level driver? Considering the problems you have while braking, I would advice you to stick to the default setup with just one click modifications from time to time.
    I might be wrong, but I think you need to stop thinking regarding laptimes as a "game" where one setup or trick, will work for all gamers. This is not the case in racing sims. In reality, every driver needs his tailored made setup, even top F1 drivers, simply cannot drive as fast as they can, by copying the setup of their opponents or team mates, because every driver has a different understanding of how a car reacts and how he gives his inputs to the car.
    Don't bother copying top driver setups, they won't help you become faster. Proper driving technique, that will help you.

Driving technique transform cars too. A fast driver can be 2 seconds faster than a slow driver with the same car/setup. Believe me, the fast driver, drives a different car than the slower driver, because he understands better how to handle the car. That's why you hear often people complaining that car X is "sooo understeery" and in the mean time, "aliens" are 2-3 seconds faster than average times and feel no understeer at all.

I also notice you're braking so late. I'll give you some food for thought. Count the time you're braking in a complete lap. It's a very small amount of time, like under 10%. The rest of the time you're accelerating and turning. So think about this and let me make you a question. If you would like to gain faster laptimes, at what situation you would gain more? At the 10% of the time you're braking? Or at the 90% of the time you're accelerating and turning?
    Why we think late braking is making us faster? Because it is easy to spot. If you brake 1-2 meters later than the 100meters mark, you can see it! Instantly. There's no doubt you managed to brake later. So in your mind you think you're faster. Wrong.
    If you accelerate just a meter before at the turn exit, you might gain 2-3km/h more exit speed... no big deal and you can't realise it, cars accelerate so fast... But thing is, those 2-3km/h more you have, you keep them for the whole straight until the next braking point... and that's a lot of time gained. You don't see it, but it's there.
    That's why they say "drive slow to go faster". Slow in to a turn, will make the car more controllable and you will be able to straighten the car faster to accelerate earlier. So brake early, turn in slow, and accelerate faster. This will make you much faster at first.

So stick with the default setups and work HARD on the driving technique, read books about it, more than you read about setups. There is no magical setup. Try to arrive to 2 seconds from alien times, then think positively. What is 2 seconds lap time difference? It's 2 tenths of time on every turn on a 10 turn circuit. That's all and that's why it is difficult. Because it takes lot's of detail work to gain those tenths at every turn.
    I often hear people say "I can't understand on which turn the other guy gains 2 second". True, because it doesn't gain 2 seconds on a single turn, but a tiny bit on every turn, that's why it's hard.

Anyway... sorry for the long post, just wanted to let you and others now that driving fast has no "tricks" but only hard work for a long time. After more than a decade of simdriving, I still find extra laptime to gain... so go figure :)

21. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

By the way, you can safely cut the entry of the 2nd chicane without being shown the 5sec penalty or RSR app turning red. Just avoid the grass and bump stone.

Lazybug likes this.