1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VSync vs AC FPS Cap vs Drivers Frame Rate Limiter

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by J. Borges, Dec 28, 2016.

1. J. Borges

J. Borges Racer

As the title suggests, what's the best method to prevent stutters? I have tried Vsync and FPS cap from AC and both give me stuttering (mini freezes now and then). There is less stuttering with Vsync but there is added latency. Surprisingly, FPS cap doesn't give me tearing or at least I don't notice it.

What about using the drivers fps limiter and remove AC FPS limiter? Will that help? I have a R9 Fury, 1050mhz, 500mhz.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting Gameplay not smooth even at high FPS and with VSYNC on Dec 28, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Vsync /fps cap/screen tearing Dec 8, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Input lag at high fps, no vsync. Sep 13, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars VSYNC problem.... only 30fps and not 60. Any solution? Sep 12, 2018
    Screens & Videos vsync vs fps cap Aug 19, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Stutter and fps drops in 1.3.4 (solved: nvidia surround, full screen and vsync + 60 fps) Oct 22, 2015
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Vsync on = 50 fps instead of 60fps Feb 17, 2015
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Vsync related stutters - how to get fluid fps (nvidia) Nov 3, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues nVidia VSync FPS drops Apr 29, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Odd FPS limiting (solved: vsync was on) Mar 9, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds How to play at 60fps without tearing and no vsync (force triple buffering) Dec 21, 2013
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues VSYNC ON makes FPS from 110 to 30 in 60Hz LCD Nov 29, 2013
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Vsync fps drop Nov 16, 2013
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Vsync fps drops by half every 10 seconds Nov 14, 2013
    ACC Troubleshooting Any kind of frame limiter or VSYNC will cause ACC to crash, but image is unstable without it Jul 4, 2023

3. esox71

esox71 Alien

I cap @60 AND vsync with 1 pre-rendered frame, babies bum.

manzes82, Cameltotem and rycil like this.
  4. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

I totally don't care and just set vsync.
    There is some lag between what you see and the physics, but it doesn't really matter to me. FFB is realtime, the most important thing to react to.

f_deutsch, TDS, Buggi and 1 other person like this.
  5. vsync off, no fps cap - no lag, no microstuttering, tearing sligthly vissible

6. J. Borges

J. Borges Racer

What do you mean by 1 pre-rendered frame?

7. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

After 1.10 the only thing that works for me:
    - fps cap off
    - in game vsync off
    - Nvidia forced Advanced Vsync
    - max prerendered frames to 1 (optional to help with the lag)

TDS likes this.
  8. MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1 in graphics.ini (main folder AC)
    Adaptive?

9. Cameltotem

Cameltotem Racer

Reduce input lag. Can be used on all games.

10. esox71

esox71 Alien

Advanced, I believe it's an option in invidia inspector

11. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Yes, sorry.

12. mtlclutch

mtlclutch Gamer

I find running the highest fps you can sustain consistently works the best. I run at 115fps capped in AC with very marginal stutter. Lots of moving parts when your talking about screen tearing so you will need to test settings yourself. Try to stay away from multiples of your screen refresh rate as that will make tearing more noticealble

Thomas Gocke likes this.
  13. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

on \Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\graphics.ini

set MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1

Still can be set at driver level via nvidia inspector (now named nvidiaProfileInspector)

14. J. Borges

J. Borges Racer

Running with unlocked FPS and MAXIMUM FRAME LATENCY at 1 has helped a bit, stuttering happens less often now! I guess I'll have to invest in a Freesync monitor for a smooth experience.

Thank you for all the help guys, appreciate it :D

LeDude83 likes this.
  15. Brisse

Brisse Gamer

Hi! I have an R9 Fury just like you, and I'm also running an Asus MG279Q monitor, 1440p, IPS, 144hz, Freesync (standard range is 35-90hz but I modify mine to 44-120hz). I don't feel I need more than 60fps in Assetto Corsa so I use the ingame frame-rate limiter (which I find works the best out of the three options mentioned above) at 60fps, but with Freesync there's absolutely no tearing or stuttering whatsoever. It works really well in Assetto Corsa.