1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What will the career consist of?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by MsportDAN, Nov 12, 2013.

1. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Racer

same here.

2. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

Yeah i know this will get me kicked but im an offline player, for me AI is more important than MP.

3. deathsquid

deathsquid Gamer

Having being grounded in MP on Iracing, my view is the same as Pulley, AI has to be right on straight out of the box. While I love the idea of MP racing, I dont wont to put up with the muppets that seem to be attracted to this type of game. I would be happy for a rock solid, better than anything else AI, and wait while KUNOS sort out a decent MP strategy.

UOPshadow and MsportDAN like this.
  4. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I'd be very surprised if they don't already have the MP strategy sorted by now.
    They most likely have a calendar hanging on their wall with the date marked and are simply waiting for the time to implement it, assuming no major bugs/issues delay it. Same will apply for AI.
    But for some of us the game will depend on whether the MP is good or not. Personally I have never played against AI for longer than a few laps on any other sim before, but having said that I love the practice/hotlap mode on AC as that's all we really have ATM. For a lot of players, the MP experience will be the difference between AC being a good game which may be forgotten about in a few months or still being a great game in 5 years time. And if you think it's only muppets who will be attracted to AC's MP then you are very wrong. Yes there will be some, but if you join a good community it's easier to avoid these kind of people.
    Multi-player done correctly is what 'makes' a game. Done wrong and it will 'break' it. A good example of that is Call of Duty MW2. It more or less flopped on PC as it didn't support dedi servers, although the console crew were happy as pigs in **** because they didn't know any better. Almost every other COD title before that was a hit, then after MW2 it flopped, all because they screwed up MP. They did try to rectify it with later titles but by then some of us moved on.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Gamer

The thing is... there is simply no good simulator with good AI (I'd say DTM-E is the next bext thing,. but the game "around" the AI is pretty bland).

So IF Kunos gets it right with their AI, they will have an advantage over every other simulator. *fingers crossed* Simply put with AI *and* MP Kunos will be in a position to get every player, so ecomomically both are important.

6. plaid

plaid Alien

All depends on the players. The buyers of AC seem to reach further then the usualy sim-racer-audience, which at the end is where the money is. Its important to deliver a overall good package. With decent graphics and nothing like GT or Forza on the PC there is a market.
    I dont have the time or will to spent X hours per week to train, cause its still a game for me, so something I sometimes play to have fun.
    But you usually just need it to be competitive in MP.
    I need content track-wise, so it stays interesting, so something different then driving silverstone for the 53489765632 time.
    Not matter if MP or AI, but really if its just hotlapping.
    Doesnt matter how good the AI or MP-drivers are, if the environment is boring I simply stop to play or dont do it often.
    Just an example for different kind of prefences. :)

bigbawmcgraw likes this.
  7. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

I disagree, RF2 has Good AI (of course in my opinion), like most things they need a bit of technical work to get them Good but I have had some excellent battles with them in various mods on various tracks. Plus ISI are constantly improving the AI and the difference from the first Build to the most recent Build is night & day!

As for AC it's not just getting them Good straight away that Kunos need to worry about, because if they are Poor then the Career mode will be completley pointless to the extent that people will rush through and "complete" it then after a few patches to get the AI upto scratch those same people might not bother with it again. I certainly dont want to have to wait months, even years to play Career whilst waiting for Kunos to make the AI Good enough to race against, of course they know this no doubt and I would at least hope they know they have to get it right first time out.
    Future patches to help improve the AI further down the road are to be expected (even if they are Good to start with), it's just getting them decent enough straight away.....tough job for Kunos no doubt about it and I wish them all the luck with it, I'd be happy for Career to be delayed until the AI are good enough infact!

MsportDAN likes this.
  8. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Gamer

In the most recent built rfactor 2s AI just let you pass, if you get alongside them... it is a work in progress. Due to the unfinished Status I didn't look that deep into rf2s AI but I do know the AI from rf1 in and out and it is a lot of work to make it competitive. I hope KS will develop an easier to edit system, plus hopefully the AI will get the finer nuances right, just like the later AI from the Geoff Crammond Grand Prix Series.

I expect the AI of AC a work in progress also. It will be really difficult to get it right out of the box and this is a beta. It doesn't have to be perfect in its first iteration.

9. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

Depends when the AI get added though, if it's v1.0 then it's no longer Beta ;) Agree it will be difficult but it is something they have to get as good as possible early on, and AI will never be perfect....just like Humans :p

10. Digital Aura

Digital Aura Racer

..and I'm the opposite. I care about AI...but as you all have already noted, it's never done well... so realistically I'm in this for the good multiplayer element. MP is more important. AI always has too wide a chasm between the easy and hard levels. It always comes down to some AI prodigy that gets every line perfect and miraculously never grinds a gear. I'd rather play against real people. It doesn't get more REAL than playing against REAL people.

11. plaid

plaid Alien

It actually gets more real. In: Reality.

But the point with the always bad AI is true (GSC2013 seemshave a really good one, but I didnt played it) and I probably shouldnt hang my hopes high. After all Kunos never made one, the manpower is low and if I look how bad the AI in Forza is (easy to exploit without much risk), which is one of the better ones, even after 5 titles, so I remain grumpy with the expectation that it will suck, to be suprised and explode in euphoria if its good. ;)

Anyway, its easy to make an AI follow the line and pass a car, thats significantly to slow. The interesting point is, when the driver in the front drives good. Constantly tryin to get in the windshadow, it needs to find the right moments to pass and there real intelligence is necessary to quickly analyze the situation of the specific track and position/turn, considering both cars position expext drivingline, speeds and an overall idea how big the chance to pass and risk is and then do the right thing to get a chance to pass.
    Usually the potential of (small) failures that kick the player off the street is reduced 1. cause the easy to frustrate casualplayer and 2. cause the gentlemen kind of driving, where the AI is often to dumb or sensible.
    On the other side, if the player doesnt act like a gentlemen the AI is to stupid to know it and you usually arent punished, neither by the AI or
    a authority outside of the track.

Overall I hope Kunos progamms the AI to "take a risk" (Space: Above and Beyond-Reference :).
    To match the needs of the sensible gentlemen AND sociopaths on wheels (Im more of an intuitive and aggressive driver and its dangerous if I try to pass, so I dont know if im welcome in MP :( ) a seperate option, next to the skilllevel, to adjust the aggressiveness should be the key.
    Then overall the tricky thing that the KI has the potential to pass without starting a destruction derby and crying gentlemen in the run off area.
    If the player acts like an sociopath the KI could go a little bit berserk.
    [​IMG] "Not with me buddy..."

12. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

So after all the posts here we actually still have no idea how the career mode going to play like ?? I considering getting my own copy before the Steam holiday sales end but i quite concern about the career mode since i probably spend 90% of time in single player.
    You know one of the worst scenario that i thinking is AC career mode = race that 22 "11 original & reverse" tracks again & again for total 50 races to level up & unlock that 35 cars; That will be so god danm boring, at least to me.
    Yeah I really wonder how wonderful AC career mode can be for just having 11 tracks o_O
    Thanks for the concern.

13. Qazme

Qazme Gamer

Career mode is pretty important to the offline racers among us - those who only care about online racing probably won't even use it. Personally I will be doing a mix of both with the majority of my time during the week dedicated to single player because I can't be bothered to drum up a good racing in an hour or less. Of course this would also depend on how large the online component and player mix is to see how frustrating it will or will not be.

As far as the AI goes I will be interested to see how they handle testing it. I'm hoping that they release at least a rudimentary implementation of both MP and AI before the offical release so that we have time to try it and give feedback so changes can be done. There is no way possible for them to make everyone happy but the feedback from us should give them enough data points on what people don't like and what people to or how we feel about what the AI does to at least get it semi corrected before a wide public release and the hordes of racers that hopefully show up to race!!

So far they haven't shown me anything that would make me have anything but confidence in their decision making process - but I've been around a relatively short amount of time. So fingers crossed!

14. Career mode is a great addition, especially if its made, as mentioned already in this thread, to be immersive and true to real life racing events. (not talking about cars and tracks being from any particular series necessarily)

What I would like to see in addition to the career mode, is a championship mode that can be customized. Ability to select cars, tracks, rules, times, etc. that would take part in the championship season, would be a great feature to keep the single player aspect of the game interesting for a long time. (if the AI is good of course, and eventually it most likely will be thru modding, if all else fails.)
    For example, the only minus I can find when it comes to the single player aspect of GSC2013, is the customization missing from the championship mode.
    I know that these kind of features can be done as a mod, or by using a third party app. but it being in the game with AC quality of UI and level of detail would be awesome.

15. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

I only wondering how good AC career can be consider it has only 11 tracks ?? Dont tell me the career mode actually last for only 3 hrs max where what player do is pick one car and race & win all that 11 tracks and career end just like that. That will be the #1 worst racing career mode, ever. By the way there are still not even abit info about career from Kunos which is super disappointed to me :confused:

16. Ahab

Ahab Gamer

Having something that can be called on to suggest and if possible implement changes to car set up based on driving style would be pretty sweet.

17. plaid

plaid Alien

Thats right, besides 1 is a dragstrip and 1 a drifttrack. Besides Monza is basily one track with 2 layouts and there are 3 Versions of Silverstone, so basicly one track in two shortened versions, same with 2 Versions of Vallenlunga.
    People moaned about the limite list of tracks in Forza and it got more. In a career you probably need more "new" (car-collecting is a major factor in FM/GT, too, including that your dream-cars are included) to be motivated, if youre not a dedicated sim-racer and sim-racers probably just need a few tracks and good physics as long there is MP.

The quality of content is quite high in AC, so the people mentioned last will be happy, but for the first, so especially gamer/casuals/not-simracers (count me in) I dont know...

The modder-community will probably deliver more tracks. I would be great if the career could be expande with those tracks, but that never happened in a game and probably will not happen with AC, i guess.
    But maybe the career will be modable, too. :)
    Otherwise I dont see much potential for a long career.

Lazybug likes this.
  18. petesky

petesky Simracer

Have you guys ever played ferrari f355 on the dreamcast? I thought the ai's pretty good in that.

Wakey likes this.
  19. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Gamer

I have to agree with you here, the more detail there is in choice making the more emersive the sim will be. More detail = a multitude of possible outcomes and therefore potentially, more diversly affected career paths.

20. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

so is very any news what the career will be made up of. surely a dev coudl give us a clue. :)