1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

When mclaren ruled the world – the f1 gtr

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Alexandre Martini, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

You do realise that the f1's road suspension is not that from a micra dont you? The standard road suspension on an f1 was just as good if not better than some race cars.. Infact it was so good they left it alone and didnt bother changing it..

If you then think about all the other race cars in lemans and bpr which were full blown race cars, and had full blown race suspension why did the f1 dominate?

People shouldnt just think road = crap.. It doesnt..

2. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

And it's still a 20 year old car. And it's so much more playable than modern GT3 cars (which are faster doh) because of that mechanical feel, it's like a big GoKart just like the L49. And offcourse there is low speed oversteer and high speed understeer like the real car, afaik things about the F1/GTR which is more than I know about a Micra lol.

Great car, except for the E30 DTM my favourite one in AC.

Hail Gordon Murray, Ron Dennis, Ray Bellm and JJ Lehto!

Cheers
    Robin

3. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

If you think 1995 LeMans victory, that was more luck then domination.

4. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

the lovely longtail at this years NY auto show

Attached Files:

5. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

This was the illustration I worked on as the final project of my technical illustration degree, almost 20 years ago...

[​IMG]

Four of us worked on it, my contribution was the engine, transmission and rear suspension...

[​IMG]

I argued that being mid-engined and rear wheel drive a rear aspect would've made a better illustration, and made my contribution more prominent of course. The counter argument was that the long tail was a bit ugly, so the front view minimised the effect of that. I couldn't really disagree.

Still pleased with the result tho'. Would've loved to have made a career out of that sort of stuff but other than a few very select artists I don't think it really exists any more, at least not in the way it used to.

6. Blame

Blame Alien

Well, McLaren could rule again if they'd replace the already failed McLaren 650s GT3 with the 675LT GT3.

7. Quffy

Quffy Alien

So for AC, would be better for Kunos to skip the 650s gt3 and add the 675LT GT3? In case the real life gt3 series also phases out the 650s soon and replaces with the 675lt.

8. Blame

Blame Alien

Well, no actually, because there is no 675LT GT3, which is unfortunate, because the 675LT roadcar is supposed to be much better than the road going 650s and currently the 650s GT3 isn't showing much competition.
    But what I do think is that Kunos skipped the 458 GT3 completely and are planning on making the 488 GT3 with Scuderias help.

yusupov and Quffy like this.
  9. kro

kro Simracer

For anyone interested FKR is hosting a 5 race season in this amazing car over at r2p !

http://www.race2play.com/schedule/show/3015

free membership needed to race ..

Thu Jun 11
    05:00 PM
    In about 4 days
    Imola McLarenF1
    Cars McLaren F1 GTR
    Track Imola
    entries

Thu Jun 18
    In about 11 days
    Monza McLarenF1
    Cars McLaren F1 GTR
    Track Monza
    entries

Thu Jun 25
    In about 18 days
    Nurburgring GP McLarenF1
    Cars McLaren F1 GTR
    Track Nurburgring GP
    entries

Thu Jul 02
    In about 25 days
    Silverstone GP McLarenF1
    Cars McLaren F1 GTR
    Track Silverstone GP
    entries

Thu Jul 09
    In about 32 days
    Spa Francorchamps McLarenF1
    Cars McLaren F1 GTR
    Track Spa Francorchamps
    entrys

10. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I wouldnt call 4 out of top 5 luck really.

And take into consideration their time in BPR.

11. If "LT" stands for "LongTail", then I think I would prefer the 650s GT3. I really don't like Longtail cars.

12. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I think kunos should skip all of those and make some more interesting race cars like the f1 & gta :D :p

Christopher Low likes this.
  13. Vampire

Vampire Alien

I will ignore your condescending tone and smart *** comment about micras. Also when did I say road car suspension = crap? I was actually basing my comments on exactly the same comments made by a gentleman who actually road tested one - feel free to browse YT reviews on the car to educate yourself a little better.
    The suspension changed very little between the road car and the GTR - yes it was good to start with, but not race-car spec and tuned more for the road than the track....and as people who have ACTUALLY DRIVEN IT say, this shows.
    F1 didn't 'dominate' as you put it - due solely to the suspension. It was actually quite a handful on thye track with O/S and U/S.
    But yeah - just check out a few articles on YT - you might learn something ;)

14. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I said "people" as a collective, i get the same stupid comments about suspension all the time, just because its on a road car meant for the road it has to have crap suspension for the track.

"Steve Randle who was the car's dynamicist was appointed responsible for the design of the suspension system of the McLaren F1 machine. It was decided that the ride should be comfortable yet performance oriented, however not as stiff and low as that of a true track machine, as that would imply reduction in practical use and comfort as well as increasing noise and vibration, which would be a contradictory design choice in relation to the former set premise - the goal of creating the ultimate road car."

Source:
    http://www.botb.com/botb_recommends/all_time_supercars/mclarenf1.aspx

Having a performance designed shock which is soft just means they would of just changed the spring rates when it entered lemans.. I can imagine that later races saw adjustability.. It would make no sence to not develop it further.

Im trying to find a picture to see if they had external Resevoirs on the shocks but im having difficulty finding one, this would imply that the shock would probably be bump and rebound adjustable, also being remote (or even fixed) resevoired adds other performance features such as longer travel, better heat dissapation performance etc.

15. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

I envy Bill.....

Kristaps and arthur666 like this.
  16. iamtheaussiestig

iamtheaussiestig Simracer

Assetto Corsa a lap of Road America in the Mclaren, F1 GTR no assists, optimum track conditions, traditional H shifter and heel & toe driving. Please do check out my sim racing hardware reviews @ http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/...

Lap driven whilst wearing an Oculus Rift DK2.

G27 with SSH 3D printed Shifter and three pedals fitted with GTEYE springs.

LInk to Road America for Assetto Corsa http://www.racedepar....com/downloa...

17. bromstarzan

bromstarzan Hardcore Simmer

Certainly one of my top 3 cars to drive in AC. It handles beautifully and feels light like a feather. Some tricks to learn wich makes it a good challenge. The H-box contributes to the joy. Addictive and immersive to the point of simgasm (as someone above put it) :D.

iamtheaussiestig likes this.
  18. Robertus

Robertus Gamer

19. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

That V12 wail never gets old
    [

DrSmile and Robin_NL like this.
  20. Was interested to note the current McLaren engine is a much-developed version of the one from the Nissan R390 GT1 car, which was itself from the R89C Group C car. Still can't beat that BMW V12 though, and frankly I much prefer the F1's looks even if the lights look a bit quaint :). The newest cars are over-styled, they already look tacky - can't imagine what they'll look like in 20 years. Something like the worst excesses of late 60s/early 70s design houses probably.

The F1 road car did roll a bit - can't imagine turning it into a racer was simply a case of swapping dampers & slapping some low profile slicks on. The 95 LM win was a combination of luck & the prototypes being in disarray, really - most of them were converted Group C cars still which wasn't exactly optimal. BPR was full of converted road cars - the 911GT1 turned up just as it was turning into FIA GT - so that's not a real measure of "road car suspension vs full blown race car" unless you mean 911 GT2s, and they weren't even in the same class. BPR was a production based GT series, just had some rather loose rules about what constituted "production" which nobody abused until Porsche...

Robin_NL likes this.