1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Which processor should j buy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Predator, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Predator

Predator Gamer

Im upgrading my mb and cpu soon was just wandering which way would be the best to go it's either the i7 4970k devils canyon or the i5 4690k devils canyon now I know the i7 is the more powerful chip but am I going to use that extra power to good effect in assetto and other games or would it be a waste of an extra 100 quid. thoughts please ;)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions What is a good Intel processor for a vr build? Nov 15, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Processor upgrade (Coffee lake) - I5 or I7? Feb 9, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa support for Ryzen processors Mar 5, 2017
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Processor scheduling options Jan 4, 2016
    Chit Chat Room About to buy a new processor - any experiences with it? Jul 1, 2015
    ACC Physics ACC inconsistensies should be addressed for the future of the game. (Ex: Braking mechanics & tracks) Apr 3, 2024
    ACC Virtual Reality Shouldn't I get better performance with this spec? Mar 12, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Should there be version rollback like on PC? Oct 3, 2022
    Chit Chat Room There should be a FAQ about how to get privileges for posting in the forums that one want Mar 20, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions "disconnected"..this should be a priority!! Mar 2, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Which dlc should I go on ps4? Mar 7, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality What VR should I buy? Feb 8, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Logitech G29 steering inputs are double what they should be Jan 26, 2021
    ACC Gameplay How should a hotstint progression look like? Jan 7, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Should I first upgrade my CPU or GPU? Nov 20, 2020

3. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

i5

Predator likes this.
  4. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I live by the motto if you can afford it, buy the very best at the time..

So if you can afford it go i7

Dream1979 and esox71 like this.
  5. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

I5 by far.
    If your PC is used primarily for games.

If you do photo or video editing, absolutely I7

6. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

from a gaming point of view:
    thats what intel/nvidia want you to think, its like a flagship tax these days, 30% price hike for 10% performance gain, which will be compeltely moot next generation when the new model 1 below flagship is better than the previous flagship. particularly for cpus, that 10% performance gain is not going to be noticable in any game, just benchmarks, although intels marketing materials would like to make you think otherwise :)

from an AC point of view, £100 to see your cpu usage percentage lower with 0 performance difference, or £100 to spend on all the awesome DLC... no brainer for me :)

(ignore the CPU in my signature, I didnt buy it and never would for gaming lol)

7. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

although i dont disagree with you.. i have just lived with that motto all my life..

i mean i have now a i7-920Do 2.6ghz cpu @ 3.8ghz and it runs most things perfectly.. i still only have 6gb 1600mz ram in! :O

8. SLiiDE

SLiiDE Racer

The gaming performance between the i5 and the i7 is minimal. Like the others said, Unless you plan on doing any intensive CPU workloads, the i5 is your best bet. Its still a fantastic chip.

9. John Gordon

John Gordon Hardcore Simmer

is the i5 2400 enough for AC?

10. cooknn

cooknn Alien

I've got the 4790k and it easily overclocked to 4.7Ghz. I highly recommend it.

esox71 likes this.
  11. Predator

Predator Gamer

Nice set up you have there cooknn!

cooknn likes this.
  12. cooknn

cooknn Alien

Thanks. My boys helped me build it. If you decide to go Devils Canyon I can assist with the UEFI settings (if you go with an Asus mobo). Keep us posted.

13. Predator

Predator Gamer

Thanks cooknn and will do ;)

14. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

I'm looking at current specs of games, Intel and AMD needs to get their **** together and get something new out soon, cause **** companies like ubisoft, not that I will ever play any of those games, but they suggest a i7 3770 for their game to run What in the hell? So now thinking that maybe once an i7 was an overkill it isn't now. If I were to get a new one I'd still go as high as I can, Using all of the power or not, it won't harm you or your PC for that matter.

15. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

thats exactly what intel want you to think... the recommending of recent i7s in pc requirements is normally down to marketing/other grubby deals (think of all the intel/amd/nvidia videos that play when you launch a game). just look at the benchmarks, i5 to i7 is not that big a deal, a few mhz, some cache and HT which vary rarely brings much benefit in game performance. Intel marketing obviously tries to suggest otherwise

Take your example of AC unity:

"Still, we did not notice any performance differences between our hexa-core and our simulated quad-core systems. Moreover, enabling Hyper Threading did not bring any additional performance gains on our systems, despite the incredible scaling on those additional threads."
    from
    http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/assassins-creed-unity-pc-performance-analysis/

but obviously intel marketing would have you believe 6 cores and hyperthreading will double your fps

£100 extra really isnt worth it imo, considering you can easily squeeze the extra MHz out of the i5 anyway to close the gap

besides £100 would be way better spent on a future gpu upgrade in terms of price/performance or gfx quality

16. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

Yes, hyperthreading is nothing new or revolutionary. i5 is just fine for gaming.

And I agree with @ears1991 that money could be better spent on something that will have a much larger performance impact, like a GPU.

17. Predator

Predator Gamer

Thanks for the comments guys good to know I'm not gonna lose to much if I go i5 I'm leaning more towards the i7 though. my csw should be sold soon so have some extra cash coming :)

18. jasjeet

jasjeet Racer

i5 and overclock, save the your money for future GPU/DLC.

19. Tom_Sr3

Tom_Sr3 Rookie

I would not recommend investing in an overclockable processor and motherboard. For gaming the maximum gain will be a low amount of FPS and the money saved can be invested in something else or later on. For this reason I went for the latest generation i5 4460 which is absolutely more than fine for AC and in combination with a good GPU you will be absolutely fine.

A.r.e.s. likes this.
  20. jasjeet

jasjeet Racer

Gain will come in the future when your GPU requires more work from the CPU. Your only option on a H board and non K chip will be to upgrade to a 4790k or a new platform, whereas anyone with a K CPU and Z board will just overclock.

Just look at the guys on a 2500K, still going strong even in Ubisoft games that are actually using 8 threads because they can overclock. Definatly more than worth it.

A.r.e.s. likes this.
  21. GT1

GT1 Racer

Go i5, use money saved for GPU.
    Intel is holding back like always(Don't expect huge gains for another 3-5 years,. it won't be on haswell), you aren't going to get much in gaming by going i7 except less money in your wallet.

A.r.e.s. likes this.