1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why do I so violently lose grip when I downshift?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by eobet, Nov 9, 2013.

1. eobet

eobet Simracer

I play iRacing, LFS and Project CARS, and I don't think any of those games behave like AC when it comes to downshifting... embarrassingly often when I downshift in AC, often from 3 to 2 in any car, the rear just BAM, snaps out and spins me.

Why is that?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Steering wheels discussions Thrustmaster T150 Shaking Violently Whilst Stationary May 27, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues T500 Wheel shakes violently if Gyro is On Aug 27, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Dual Shock 3/ MotionJoy bug - Steering fluctuates violently. Mar 8, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error! The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Apr 13, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Line 95 [SOLVED] Feb 26, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Competizione UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close. Feb 25, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game instantly closes when pressed play Dec 28, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Dec 2, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close - Fatal Error Oct 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close - Fatal error! Jul 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting CLOSED: UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Jun 7, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close May 18, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close, text: Fatal error! Apr 28, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting (1.8.19)The UE4-AC2 game has crashed and will close Fatal error Nov 25, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4-AC2 The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Oct 16, 2022

3. eobet

eobet Simracer

Oh... answer was that I had to enable "automatic throttle blip & cut"... perhaps the game will be easier now. :)

4. If you drive with a wheel and three pedals, you could learn heel/toe shifting? :)

Luca Zari likes this.
  5. spliff

spliff Gamer

"realism". you need to match the revs when downshifting, otherwise your rear wheels will slow down too much (~motor brake) and the car might spin. it's kind of like pulling the handbrake. :)

6. JohnGrey

JohnGrey Gamer

I'm gonna take a guess here, the car is driving too fast and when you downshift, the RPM slaps up and you start drifting/spin out. (I use it for fun in corners sometimes) Anyway, I suggest paying more attention to your speed when downshifting :)

7. AugGust

AugGust Racer

If you're interested to learn heel and toe, try practising to give the throttle a "blip" when down-shifting (in-between the shifts). As spliff said, its to match the revs. Later on you can practise to blip the throttle while braking AND down-shifting at the same time by using your right heel to blip the throttle while stepping on the brakes.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  8. Horus

Horus Alien

Auto blip is okay bud, but to be honest take it easy and just slow down then when you feel like you are travelling at the right speed change gear. Yes you can heel toe, but I think it better to drive first, race second. I watch too many people changing gear like there is a competition on gear changes, I think the other competition is to see how far the rev needle REALLY goes!

I do not like driving with any aids enabled, even on cars that have them fitted to real race car. The key to being fast is having a good idea where you are going, a nice chair to sit in and are not in a hurry to get there. Once all that is achieved you will be racing faster and longer than most. Just change gear a lot later till you feel what the car is doing then shift as often as the car needs it.

Good luck.

P.S. I agree with all comments before me and those that will comeafter, balancing brakes and throttle, blips, heel toe are all great when you have advanced skills. Like I say these pointers are from watching others race in open leagues, way too many gear changes, and way way way too much revving through the limits.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Fred Joseph, RelapseUK and rqper like this.
  9. earlyapex

earlyapex Hardcore Simmer

Good advice Horus.

10. The F40 has a very narrow RPM range where you can downshift without upsetting the rear end even with a nice blip....I'm sure this is correct behavior for the car but can me maddening when you get it wrong..lol

11. delahmed

delahmed Rookie

i had the same question, i have all assists turned off so will try this. Loving the Abarth.......

12. mattrickl06

mattrickl06 Gamer

I noticed this more on AC than other sims, I settled on letting the clutch out much more slowly which seems to work just fine ;-)

13. kalabaleek

kalabaleek Simracer

A lot of people don't really get to even try to blip the down shifts as it's too foreign for them... But when one start to practice that, it's very doable within just a few laps at most and will help keeping in control of the car a lot of times when there would be a certain spin. It's also very rewarding for the self esteem as a racer to finally figure out how the heel/toe actually works, and start growing it in to the muscle memory. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Cote Dazur likes this.
  14. Stress8all

Stress8all Gamer

15. Rob Manser

Rob Manser Racer

Realism. You wait till we get rain! :)

16. endgame

endgame Racer

I only blip if Im using a manual gearbox with heel'n'toe. I find blipping with paddle shifters and left foot braking kinda weird and most semi-auto cars have autoblip anyway. I do have a sequential shifter which would feel natural for blipping but cant figure out a way to mount it yet.

I'd say just slow down your downshifts, maybe you're still going too fast for the low gear you're selecting.

RelapseUK likes this.
  17. GravesLab

GravesLab Rookie

I use paddle shifters and two
    Pedals. Only some cars require this technique. I press downshift and immediately and extremely quickly press throttle while braking. This simply rev matches and is not a hard skill to learn. Some corners it helps to let the engine brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Rob Manser

Rob Manser Racer

The trouble with that though is the engine braking is only on the driven wheels, it's usually quite jerky and it's not good for the clutch or gearbox. If you use the brakes instead it'll brake all four wheels progressively, therefore providing the maximum retardation. If you need to shift the brake balance on the fly, it can be done with gentle application of throttle.

19. RelapseUK

RelapseUK Racer

I'd Love to be able to blip but, G25 Pedals are pants for H+T. When the brake pedal is depressed it sits far too low from the accelerator pedal and is really tough to blip. I have seen mods for the brake that raise the pedal profile but haven't got around to trying them out yet.

You can use engine breaking to good effect sometimes; when you have out-braked yourself, gone too deep into the corner/bend and need a little back-end drift to pull you back to apex.

20. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I can't heal toe at all with my G25 pedals (wasn't the G27 improved for this?) but I always blip without clutch when changing down and left foot braking. You must blip at the correct time, that is when you are in neutral and about to select a lower gear. Took me a bit of practice but I can get it right about 95% of the time.
    The F40 is much more difficult to get the timing right but with practice it will happen...I hope!

21. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

Hi guys i have a may be silly question. Is the amount of blip stay the same no matter what gear or 5th -> 4th gears blip less but 3rd -> 2nd gear blip more ??
    Thanks for the concern.