1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why is my GPU underused

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by GONKO, Aug 17, 2022.

Tags:
  1. GONKO

GONKO Racer

My target limit on frame rate is 144, but often on a full grid of AI the frames will drop and the GPU is not being fully used. It will go between 55-75% most of the time and not ramp up. The CPU is usually at around 25%-35% in these circumstances.
    RTX 3090
    i9 12900k
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    3440x1440p single screen.
    29 AI, COTA at 20:00 hrs

upload_2022-8-17_20-18-17.png

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting D3D Error, GPU failing to catch up Mar 7, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting GPU full load and fans at full speed Mar 2, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error and cant launch game with GPU upgrade [audio device] Feb 1, 2024
    ACC Virtual Reality Inconsistent frame rate on App Render GPU Time arround 7-9ms Dec 7, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting GPU consumption rise if you enter menu options while water trails are rendered Aug 13, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting LogD3D11RHI: Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up. Jun 22, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game returns to main menu after clicking start engine (GPU is supported) Nov 30, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error on startup with no message [amdxx64.dll crash - gpu driver reinstallation] Oct 12, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close, text: Fatal error! [audio crash + 1 gpu driver crash] Oct 11, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting GPU 100% in VR on menu screens - since downloading American tracks Sep 7, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds ACC GPU usage 100% on initial menu Sep 7, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Random Fatal Errors [GPU overclock] Jul 31, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC Crash Game [GPU times out and hangs] Jul 9, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game runs on iGPU Jun 6, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Crash : UE4-AC Fatal Error [Unstable RAM/GPU clocks] May 9, 2022

3. Cirith Ungol

Cirith Ungol Simracer

Look at individual core usage of your CPU, it's probably the bottleneck. ACC (and games in general) can't use all of your cores because not everything can be computed in parallel.

4. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

Exactly, single thread performance limitation. Currently only a Ryzen 5800X3D would perform better here.

Cirith Ungol and ㄻ-Defragler like this.
  5. GONKO

GONKO Racer

Individual cores rarely exceed 60%.
    On my CPU core 10 and 11 seem to float between 45 and 60%. No one core ever gets over 70% for sure. And none get close to 100% ever.
    Here is a grab when I turned dlss off, so gpu use went up here....but usually with dlss on its around 60%.

Attached Files:

6. Cirith Ungol

Cirith Ungol Simracer

CPU usage is not as straightforward. The CPU doesn't "compute" all the time, it has to fetch data from the RAM etc... From the results of the X3D Ryzen benchmark, I'd guess it's a case of CPU cache / RAM data fetching. Your cores designated to the game work at 70% because they have to fetch data or wait for another core etc.

Bolibompa and kro like this.
  7. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

Additionally, a single thread does not run on one single core, it gets scheduled to different cores. So instead of one core at 100%, you'll only see multiple cores with a lower percentage.

8. Rudski

Rudski Alien

If your frame rate is solid, who cares if the CPU isn't doing much?

How many frames do you get on average?

9. Stains

Stains Simracer

It's a limitation of current CPU's and ACC's ability to utilise what is currently available. The 5800x3d is king in ACC.
    Your lucky to see 111 fps, lol I'm limited to 85 fps mostly.
    Only ACC is this a problem for my PC, sims like AMS2 in pretty well locked to 144 fps.
    I'm just waiting to see what the next gen CPU's bring as the 5800x3d isn't king across the board.

10. Krassmus

Krassmus Gamer

Just to correct this for future readers:
    It's not that the CPU is pausing because it needs to cache or fetch. The "problem" is that all monitoring software are refreshing way too slowly to see what's going on.
    If you'd pause after 10 CPU cycles, you would see:
    1 core at 100%
    1 core at 90%
    1 core at 50%
    rest of the cores at lower loads.

You can get a decently accurate info from process explorer:
    ACC_ProcessExplorer.jpg

This shows you the CPU threads and the resulting CPU load from the application.
    My maximum is 12.33% per thread, since I have a 10600k with 6c/12t so the maximum is 100% divided by 12 = 12.33%.

But even this is fluctuating due to the averaging between monitoring refreshes.

At 5 GHz, each core is doing 5.000.000.000 CPU cycles per second.

A CPU core can only either DO or PAUSE.
    So 100% or 0% "load".

So Windows gives each core a task and they start DOing. For the big thread that shows 12.16% load in my screenshot, Windows might give Core 0 that thread for 100.000 CPU cycles, while letting Core 1 cache the data to take over.
    Now Core 1 will do 100.000 cycles on that thread, until Core 2 takes over and so on and so on.

The first cores are often used more because they are closer to the cache inside the CPU itself, reducing latency.

Long story short: ACC needs 5 cores for maximum FPS. After that, you will just have your CPU pausing longer.
    If you would be able to really look into what the CPU is doing, you would see that this one single biggest thread is 100% of the time worked on by ONE core.

Windows changes this core frequently though since you gain performance by doing so.

However we can't see this stuff.

Additionally:
    Windows will stop shuffling around the biggest thread if you make one core way faster than the others. So if you disable Hyperthreading and set Core 0 to 5 GHz and all other cores to 4 GHz, you will see Core 0 at 100% load in Taskmanager.
    You can often see this with stock AMD CPUs, where one core is often at 100% load.

Intel users tend to overclock their CPU to be locked at the same clockspeeds for ALL cores, leading to Windows shuffling everything constantly around.

11. Rudski

Rudski Alien

"The first cores are often used more because they are closer to the cache inside the CPU itself, reducing latency"

This doesn't sound accurate at all.

12. Krassmus

Krassmus Gamer

I sadly can't find the sources but it was a big thing when Intel 11th gen came out and showed worse performance than 10th gen in quite some games due to increased internal latencies from the new architecture.

But if you have an actual explanation why my statement is not accurate, please enlighten us. I don't like to keep incorrect statements from me on the Internet so I'd be happy to edit my post and acknowledge that I was wrong.

kro and AndyK70 like this.
  13. kro

kro Simracer

Cool and Interesting stuff. I wish I was that smart to understand it all so I enjoy reading these types of posts.:D
    When I first got my 3080ti I had it on an older AMD phenomII chip and it was "ok". I had CPU bottleneck for sure. getting around 80fps in 4k with lower 60-70 GPU % usage, then I built my new system with the Ryzen 9 chip & M2 drives DDR5 etc.. and my GPU is now in the 90% ranges @130fps in 4k so CPU & system do make or break the value of the newer super powered GPU'S! Now that the Nvid 4xxx's series are coming out who knows what we will need to get the max out of those monsters?~:p

Krassmus likes this.