1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

why most gt\racing cars use f1 style steering wheel ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ShimonART, Jul 14, 2016.

1. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

whats wrong with the traditional round steering wheel :S ?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting Cars disappearing, but still in the session Apr 8, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Major Lag/Freeze, Causing Hud and Cars to disappear and reappear Feb 24, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Cars teleporting for a split second into pit lane and back Feb 17, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer GT2 cars output as GT4 carGroup in results Jan 29, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Missing cars in GT2 solo races Jan 26, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer GT2- some cars cant join Gt2 Server Jan 25, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Don't see DLC cars in the game Jan 25, 2024
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Wrong fuel usage values for GT2 cars Jan 25, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds All AI cars on all tracks are driving 50 mph during race! Jan 14, 2024
    Physics Bugs & Issues Some Kunis F1 cars have abnormally long gears for me Dec 24, 2023
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Cars haveing bad netcode at the start of each session Dec 19, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Dirt-effects on cars and windscreens Jun 7, 2023
    ACC Physics Anyone else finding the Alpine being much faster than any other GT4 cars since 1.9? May 30, 2023
    ACC User Interface False Brake Bias value with SimHub Dashboard with new v1.9 cars May 13, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Practice glitch on Challenge Cars? Apr 17, 2023

3. Whilst I dislike road cars with non-circular steering wheels (Audi...), in a race car, the rack is usually so quick there is no needs to move your hands to a different part of the wheel, ie you can get enough steering angle without ever having to cross hands or shuffle the wheel. And because your hands are in the same place, theres no need to have a full wheel, save the space and weight.

kikie likes this.
  4. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

I would also suspect that it helps in driver swaps for endurance racing. They allow for easier egress from different size drivers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5. There's more space in the middle for a big, shiny autopilot button.

6. menos | M6

menos | M6 Hardcore Simmer

The trend away from manual transmission and towards shifters directly on the wheel allow for a "both hands always on the wheel" design.
    This is aided by many of the cars functions being now accessible from the wheel rather then from the dashboard or center console.
    Fast steering transmissions support this development as well.

Advantages are:
    - much better ingress and egress (this is important in endurance racing with driver swaps and for safety in general)
    - much, much improved freedom of placing dashboard displays or displays directly on the wheel
    - improving visibility with a more aggressive (lower) driver position in the car (a traditional rounded wheel would simply hinder vision of the driver)
    Really look how driver positions have developed dramatically in racing over the last ~ 20 years.
    In GT racing we have now almost formula style driver positions with drivers sitting much less upright.
    - less arm movement (as the formula style wheels usually have a much smaller diameter than the traditional rounded wheels of yore - 260 - 280mm are not unheard of while rounded racing wheels often where in the 280 - 320mm range - hence more driver movement necessary for steering inputs)

kakusso likes this.
  7. Jaood

Jaood Racer

Funny, all things Menos listed apply to my rig as well. I swap wheels for new Formula and GT cars, also FFB feels more precise with a smaller wheel for me.
    I was racing 2 months with Formulawheel only, after some time even drifiting was no problem although way less elegant.

menos | M6 likes this.
  8. menos | M6

menos | M6 Hardcore Simmer

For almost the whole time I race racing simulators, I would use traditional round wheels (starting with Logitech DFGTs, later Fanatec CSRE, CSWv1 and now CSWv2).

When I bought the CSW1 I got it with a GT wheel and the universal hub, intending to use the hub more flexibly with specialized wheels - I never once took the hub out of the package.

During my whole time since I build my current triple screen rig one single thing annoyed me immensely with Assetto Corsa: using the traditional round GT type racing wheel in cars that use a modern formula style wheel (like the McLaren GT racers or the AMG, …) I always had to work around an awkward cockpit view setup in order to be able to see the instruments in the cockpit. I promised myself to try a formula wheel sometime soon and quickly forgot about that thought thereafter.

Only now with the Red Pack and my old pedal set in need for a rebuilt, I simply decided to treat me a big upgrade, finally got a formula carbon fibre wheel and a CSW v3 pedal set.

I was always sceptic about racing with a formula wheel.

Within no more than 2 laps around Spielberg in a McLaren 650S GT3 did I have reached Nirvana.

This is how these cars are supposed to be driven - it is such a pleasure to race them as they are supposed to be driven and have a perfect cockpit experience!

Now I will rebuilt my older pedal set, get each simulator component into CAD and will design a new frame before upgrading to a new racing seat shell and redesigning the triple monitor mount.

I love the formula style wheel now and absolutely enjoy long stints in one of the GT3 racers, having tight races with the new AI - if we only had day night transitions and save points in the pit to race real endurance races against the AI :-(

This whole new found love for the formula style wheels even has triggered a new project of mine I cannot talk about yet ;-)

9. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

It is just the normal evolution towards a more efficient approach.
    I hope simulated steering wheel will follow the trend. Driving an F1 with a round wheel like the G27 is not ideal.

Edit: As the simulators get more and more systems the buttons on the wheel are no longer enough, time for the rotary switches, (traction control and abs are no longer just ON or OFF but have many different levels, the same for transmission adjustments). The Logitech G29 missed that trend unfortunately.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  10. kikie

kikie Simracer

I use a big 35cm circular OMP wheel mounted on the G27 base and Ilike it a lot, the round, circular thing in my hands.

:D

11. Quffy

Quffy Alien

The wheel manufacturers may be divided but with the round wheel still taking lead, with the different rims being add-ons. Round wheels are still the main trend because logitech/thrustmaster have the bigger audience on console racing games which have road cars, so a round wheel makes sense. It also makes sense if you're driving older race cars. Newer race cars (cup cars, not GT) still have round wheel. Then on the PC side we have AC and Pcars with the most audience, and it still makes sense for a round wheel to be the main one when you buy the wheel. The other pc racing sims are mainly made of race cars, but still their race cars are not mostly made of GT- steering wheel type, but still have round. That's why as add-on remains the better solution and not as main product.