1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How many seconds can a good setup save you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Tal.S, May 9, 2014.

1. winet

winet Gamer

Just drive the cars with limited setup options . The Ferrari 458 comes to mind.

2. Lukapsb

Lukapsb Racer

Racing setup is like a diet, 80% nutriton 20% workout, so are the race setups, the 80% is your driving skill and the other 20% is the setup of your car, atleast thats how i see it :D

Spyros and Ethan Dean like this.
  3. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

False, sorry. I've set a few world records in my time (one of which stands, MP4 GT3 at Mugello), and numerous top-fives/tens, and the setups I build for myself are built realistically and fairly without taking advantage of any bugs or shortcomings. If I see a setup bug report in the physics forum (ie, lowering ride height X amount gives unlimited grip, or some such twaddle) I make a note to avoid it in the interest of fairness. Nothing's exploited, I wouldn't even know how in the first place. I just make my MP4 stable and suited to my style, and my times speak for themselves.

The Moose and Shaddix like this.
  4. GamerMuscle

GamerMuscle Hardcore Simmer

Link to a source of your world records in i racing , RF2 ,RF1 please or I don't believe you :p

As for AC the game is in alpha some people have set good lap times but there have been no competitions / high level leagues where you start to see the ridiculous lap times emerge not that there rnt fast laps set but you see with many class of car the top laps are not going to be on the level of what you see when alien sim-racers start to put more time into a given sim.

Need someone to run an open set-up comp with a good prize that's when you start to see the crazy stuff emerge lol.

If set-ups were only marginal impact over skill or were just about slightly tailing cars to a given driving style then people would not be selling them for $50+.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  5. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

I think setup is more to tailor car to your driving style, then find you extra time,

I think that good setup vs bad setup can be maybe 2 seconds or 2 minute circuit, .. but we're talking extremes, so from default it could possibly find you a second , maybe , unless the default setup is not suited to your driving style at all

It's more about practice and getting the line right all the time, .. then some setup voodoo

Luigi Gianni Vollaro likes this.
  6. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

heel & toe is about not upsetting the balance of the car when breaking/turning , .. you won't necessary be faster out of corner imo

7. GamerMuscle

I think a good driver will just drive the fastest way for that given setup , so they are going to be looking for the best possible set-up then learn how to drive that as best possible.

Depends on the context if its a setup for full race or just hot lapping , obviously a full race set-up has to take into consideration ware or other aspects that then allows driver style to have more influence or be more important.

8. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

but I don't really thing that you "improve" setup and gain 5 seconds,
    look at real racing? look at F1

if Car is off pace in qualifying , it's not becasue of the setup, but becasue of the actual car
    people tend to thing that they are the fastest, and they can't believe that someone could be so much faster .. so usually they blame setups or even call out cheating

I still stand behind my claim though, .. if profesional race team gets to a racetrack, and they start doing practice/qualy laps, .. the better setup gives them 1 second, ..2 at the most, but not 4,5 or 6 ...

9. Ethan Dean

Despite having sim-raced for more than a decade, in a variety of sims, AC is the first in which I've done competitive leaderboard hotlapping. Either way, I stand by my point; I build my setups to realistic standards without any exploitation, and get world record/top-ten times with them. It means little to me if you believe me or not.

http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRL...controller_type=all&community=all&friends=all
    http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRL...controller_type=all&community=all&friends=all

10. GamerMuscle

Well to be honest until AC is used in league racing you probably wont see the cream of the crop competing and they likely wont be doing it "slow" cars like the GT4.

I have not had enough time with AC to know how much effect set-ups have with the game and what sort of methods might exist to exploit the physics maybe AC is more immune to it than other simulators.

11. GamerMuscle

Who said 4 or 5 ?

I'd agree I think once you know a track to a high level assuming you have a base set thats not fundamentally broken, then its normally 1-2 seconds advantage for the pro set-ups vs a good baseline set.

The problem is if you are doing a proper race 1-2 seconds a lap is a huge time gap and for me I want close racing so its simply going to be more fun if people are all racing with at least the same potential.

I think the solution is to just have some fast set-ups easily accessible , radiators champ website was awesome for that.

GTRE had a nice system where you could brows setups in game and people gave them star ratings.

LFS I would just ask guy in first for there set 80% of time they would hand it over which would result in more enjoyable closer racing.

12. spiritofsenna

spiritofsenna Simracer

Last time I checked, the cream of the crop have been laying down laptimes on RSR for quite some time..

Maybe the battle for hundredths and thousandths has yet to begin, and as you say, won't, until real competition begins.

13. dubbsta78

dubbsta78 Racer

A man once said...."it doesnt matter if you lose by an inch or a mile, losing is losing"
    (Movie qoute):cool:

14. GamerMuscle

Yep I think some aliens have in some cars and I think Kunos test AC with some aliens , but i just meant on the whole when it comes to all the cars we have yet to see even close to properly on the limit laps that you get from crazy set-ups combined with insane drivers :)

Unfortunately I don't have the time to put into it ( nor skill ! ) but that's also why I love fixed set-up racing with people because its the most efficient way to get good solid competitive side by side racing.

15. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

4-5 seconds comes from this thread, where people question being 4 seconds behind the records, and they assume that it's the setup that makes the difference

2 seconds with Pro setup ? form good base? I don't think so .. from bad setup yes, but from good default I really think getting more then 1 second would be a challenge

16. Ethan Dean

Greger Huttu, Klaus Ellenbrand, and Ben Cornett among others have all put times up in RSR, so the "cream of the crop" in terms of simracing have indeed shown themselves. Also, I'd understand the following comment if it was referring to street cars, but the MP4-12C GT3 is far from "slow" and is just as worthy of top-tier competition.

So, wait, you're saying the current records from these guys aren't "proper" on-the-limit laps? I think you underestimate how competitive RSR is. Those top times are pretty much as fast as it's going to get, and having done a few myself I can safely say it's on the limit.

17. bogani

bogani Simracer

Is is actually possible to use as much trailbraking IRL as the top guys do in Assetto Corsa? Is it realistic? Just wondering :)

18. Nao

Nao Alien

You guys are forgetting the other use of setups. And its to make slower driver faster faster :p If the driver can't handle some part of the car yet, for example a squirmy brakes on Evora GTC, why should he fight with the car (and drive under the limit, learning nothing) while he could just max out on rear toe and have much more stable experience allowing him to push the car harder and gain driving skill. And then when he is a level higher with car control he can tune the toe down and concentrate learning efforts on stable braking.
    Of course some other things like understeer in cars like lotus 2-11 should be left alone since learning to overcome it through driving skill is much more important that laptimes.
    There is also the problem of street cars where by design they they are slower than what would be possible with race setup. For example: you could gain time just by increasing the camber, which if done properly wouldn't change the balance of the car.

My bottom line is that everything should be used with moderation, driving on default setups is good on some cars, but there is nothing wrong with tailoring the car to driver and track needs.

Also while i'm not even close to proper aliens (only have a small handful of WR's on RSR, and some 2nd places) I do agree with @Ethan Dean pretty much 100%
    Except for excessive camber due to lack of proper tyre wear implementation, and maybe some aero stuff on GT2 / Exos due to fluid flow simulation simplifications, there is nothing "crazy" about the fastest setups. (edited out the answer to GM since it wasn't adding anything to the discussion)

@bogani there is no way they they wouldn't. Trailbraking is much faster, but in sim some racers do it excessively (for various reasons), coudn't find a good clip, but this at least shows what happens when RL driver messes up (also we are at a point where real life looks "unrealistic" hahaha).

spiritofsenna and Ethan Dean like this.
  19. Ethan Dean

That's better than me though, the "few" I mention have been beaten and only one (Mugello) stands...! Better get back to work :p

20. spiritofsenna

spiritofsenna Simracer

Hi Ling,

Do you think implementing brake temps and brake fade will lead to more of these "pear shaped" moments in AC?