1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How many seconds can a good setup save you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Tal.S, May 9, 2014.

1. TCLF

TCLF Alien

I wanna see you heel and toe an open wheeler :p

2. slopps

slopps Simracer

i really wish this simracing world weren't so obsessed with setups. Its such a shame. I just do not care. I enjoy driving and racing. i do not want to spend hours and hours trawling through data and telemetry to drive. I am not paid to sim race, and i dont have an engineer, nor do i want to be one.

i can understand setup for oval racing, as its part of it, how else do you gain an advantage going round and round in a circle.
    but for anything else its just ruined online play and league. The beauty of simracing is that everyone can be in the same car, making it 100% about driving skill.
    Yeh, im sure i could make a good setup, if i had the time and spent 200 laps, but whats the fun in that?

do you ever hear racing drivers in reality going 'oh yeh i really enjoyed the testing, the setup work was so much fun!'.

someone needs to make a database where people share the best setups, so everyone can use them, it levels the playing field, and everyone can just focus on driving and racing each other.
    Ok - so setup is part of reality (the common argument) - so alright then, dont be hypocritical - limit testing, like it is in reality. Limit the time you're allowed to make setup changes for a given race weekend, like there is in reality ...etc....etc.....

simracing is nothing like real racing - so why not take the most fun aspect of racing.....which is racing....and focus on....The racing.
    i have not bothered even remotely tweaking with setup in AC, the cars are fun to drive in their default form, it just amazes me how many people enjoy this aspect. Its sad really.

3. Darkkis

Darkkis Racer

Agreed. This wouldn't be a problem though, if there was huge collection of proven user made setups, but this is not the case... I cba to waste hours and hours to make a good setup to compete in the leaderboards :(

4. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

Most of the time the ones obsessed with setups are exactly the ones who doesn´t understand them. They get paranoid thinking that they are left behind.

Setups are like musical theory for musicians, for the ones that doesn´t know it, they think its like black magic, but the goal of understanding musical theory its to forget about it when you play.

The goal when i make setups - or people that i share setups with - its not to find the ultimate speed in the car, its to find a balanced and easy to drive car, speed comes with the driver. And we dont spend a lot of time doing setups. Of course sometimes there is time to be found tweaking the car, you usually find it when some competitor that you know its about your speed left you in the dust in the race. But then the solution its easy, you can guess what he´s doing differently just by watching his laps.

5. metalnwood

metalnwood Simracer

The thing is, as already stated a setup is often matched to a drivers style so driver A may do very well on a setup you may hate the handling of the car which he is very familiar with. If you think that you are left seconds behind because of a setup then it is likely that a setup doing a good time by an excellent driver will not shave off all those seconds.

I do sympathise with you about not wanting to spend hours finding the best setup for yourself so you can compete more evenly with the people who have done it.

Iracing has fixed setup races sometimes and I think various leagues do as well. I think this is a reasonable way to do it if you want to be on the same playing field as everyone else. Still that fixed setup may not suit your style as much as it does someone else's.

Nahkamarakatti and Mogster like this.
  6. Phil64

Phil64 Simracer

Is it possible to find this setup on line please Shaddix? Would really appreciate a link, thank you.

7. BenC

BenC Hardcore Simmer

If you're not within 1-2 seconds of the time you're chasing, then setup isn't your problem.

8. dubbsta78

dubbsta78 Racer

so why buy a sim if your happy with grid or need for speedo_O for those games most cars feel the same so no worry about setups...just add turbo and boom. but all things do matter in a sim its supposed to represent reality and should be treated as such imo i guess.

Tim Meuris likes this.
  9. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Funny thing is with public MP I jump into cars I hardly drive with no setup. In a 10 minute qualy I may make some basic adjustments if I see I need something then after 5 minutes come in make some changes and try again. Then after that make any more changes before the race.

This can normally get me up the top of most races, sure some cars I prefer like the gt cars I already made some setups for. But overall if you know how to drive and know the tracks you can get in and do laps even with defaults you will be fairly quick. You can feel whats happening and should know straight away what can be done to fix this or make it better.

We were doing some mp racing and everyone had their prefered cars then we made everyone switch cars for the next race. Good fun jumping into something else and figuring out how to drive it quick within a 10 min session but the orders were still pretty much the same and everyone had a blast also great to see how different the other gt cars can be.

In a fixed setup race the quicker guys will still be quicker they can adapt to drive anything, sure they can make changes to suit them better if need be but its more driving then it is setup.

And in the gt3 racing with open setups most of the quicker guys will end up running almost the same speed. Without drafting its pretty hard to pass anyone running close to your own pace cleanly too which I find more fun then winning races anyway. Isnt this just meant to be fun, and learning the basics of setup is part of the fun to make the car feel better to you.

10. Inty

Inty Gamer

Seems like people don't like to post setups for assetto much. I'll just say if you wanna have any hope of getting near those RSR times, empty your fuel tank and turn fuel usage off. That alone will help a lot.

11. Popeye

Popeye Gamer

Set ups? They are in racedepartment.com forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

A good setup can definitely cut time in some aspects, for example a car with less aero is going to have less drag on the straights, you can make it stick better during a turn, that sort of thing. However, those settings alone might grab you a few tenths at most. The biggest factor, in my mind, is how comfortable you are with controlling the car. That's where the majority of time is gained. You can load in proven world-record setups all day, but it means nothing if you're not comfortable with pushing it to the limit. Setup only makes the car faster a certain amount; what matters more is how much faster and more confident it makes you.

Popeye likes this.
  13. Retrofly

Retrofly Gamer

Ability and practice > Setup

All the ttime on iRacing people will say "try and get a 01:21.5 laptime with base setup before changing thinsg", which will seem like an insane time but it actually just shows that setup doesn't improve times that much.
    It always seemed to be at the most 1 second improvment with setup. Depends on the circuit, long straights = longer gearing low downforce, short straights = short gearing high downforce. This is setup at its most basic, I concider these as "base setup" changes which should be give or take similar for all drivers on a particular circuit.

The main benifit of setup isn't neccerily laptime at all, but feel and style. I decent setup for you may not be much faster but it may make you more consistant and allow you to hit your faster times easier and help you crash less.

Once you've got your base setup sorted its all about balancing the car to your style, rather than going for pure speed.
    Sometimes I could mess around with diff and aero setting all day just tweaking it to fit my style and track. Need more turn in here, underseering here, need more rotation at the apex here.

Ethan Dean likes this.
  14. Popeye

Popeye Gamer

I agree. Practice practice and practice. You have to be comfy with the car before you start pushing. I always think if you
    Need a track map you have not lapped enough. Once you can lap 10 laps within .5 per lap then alter one thing. Try 5 laps. Better or worse? Then change again. It should help.
    Google racer alex's f1 set up guide. If you can't find it i can mega it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe Simracer

In other thoughts... more often than not a fast setup is also a road to a DNF. Yes you ca do ONE faster lap with it. But often 110% of accuracy is needed. Only a few can manage that in a race.

16. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Rsr livetiming - setups

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

Phil64 likes this.
  17. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

If you enjoy simple racing without setups,you probably enjoy tuning and things like that. Games like.nfs or forza/gt..
    Setups were and are a huge aspect of simracing and if u dislike them, you have choosen the wrong game obv.
    For my part finding seconds with setups and due that beating enemies is actually challenging and fun :)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

18. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Haha. it's a simulation! real life cars can be set up, so that's what happens when you have a 'simulation'. D'oh!
    Reminds me of (bicycle) 'wheelies are so pointless, it's just kids showing off, you can't use it to do anything, just stupid and dangerous'. This sentence is always spoken by someone who can't wheelie to save their life.

You should drive on Michael Hornbuckle's 'Ricky Bobby' or some such server he also can't set-up a car to save his life and needs it to be a 'level playing field with default set-ups to ensure the best driver wins'. Or as I call it 'I'm a fairly fast driver but I hardly ever win because people who know how to set-up their cars properly often beat me and it's frustrating because I can't'.

Shaddix likes this.
  19. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Double post, please delete.

20. GamerMuscle

GamerMuscle Hardcore Simmer

Getting a good car set-up is 99% time investment you can learn what does what and what gets things to how you generaly like within 10 hours or so but to get a set-up to be competitive against others that have spent 10+ hours on a single car and track setup then you will only do better if you spend near to that time on it.

Most people cannot drive any car fast and lap on lap at the same speed so for them messing with a set-up is almost totally pointless !

I found for me to get competitive (within 0.500-1.00 of a world record) I need to spend about 9 hours on a track over the course of 3 days and that's with a fixed set-up and just hot lapping.

With any basic set-up a good driver should be able to get within 2.5 seconds of the top time but its a simple fact that unless you have a set-up that is based more around breaking/exploiting nuances in the given physics engine than it is making a car more stable/suted to style, you are not going to be competitive at the higher levels.

In real life a good car set-up is one that exploits real world physics the difference is real world physics are far less susceptible to some of the set-up "tricks" we have seen with
    many sim racing titles and I feel that often very fast car set-ups in simracing can make a driving simulator worse and less realistic in many regards.

In FSR league they have people that just work on set-ups with some even selling them which is somewhat absurd but shows how ridiculous things can get with car set-ups.

I think open set-up racing has its place , but one of the best and most unique aspects of sim racing is that its the only environment where people can "drive" with 100% totally matched car which from a sporting perspective is a dream that cant even be achieved in go-carting.

Certainly think having something like Radiators champ that shares set-ups that did top lap times is a very good thing and makes things mor efair by making a generic "good" set-up available to all, rather than to just those that happen to know people or put the time in.

Historically for me at least and I'm no alien/super pro I found when playing GTRE RF1 RF2 LFS and NKP that when I went and found a recommended set-up I would gain 1.5-2.5 seconds.

Ultimately though, the best drivers will drive any car with any set-up to the best that car could be driven from a drivers perspective set-up should largely be seen as just a nuisance if you objective is close competitive racing :)

Last edited: May 16, 2014