1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Learn To Drive - a thread for onlineracers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Tberg, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Hi guys,

I was ment to bring some videos, showing ingame racesituations and how to survive and improve your general level of simracing. Much in the spirit of other videos on YT out there, but with a much more focus on the 'state of mind' and how to react in such situations.
    Meanwhile, parenthood is once again claiming some time, and I lost interest in completing the videos for now.

So instead, we can post situations, from rl racing or AC, then discuss them, comment them or whatever fits the thread topic.

May you learn something or contribute, either way, you´re welcome :)

TDS, Ischemica, Schnipp and 2 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Learning to Drive! Nov 23, 2018
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Learning to drive...fast! Sep 6, 2016
    Suggestions Some features to help learning from other drivers Aug 17, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Which car is the best to learn how to drive car properly ? Jan 17, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Best way to learn to drive 100% realistic? advise sought! Oct 16, 2014
    Chit Chat Room New drivers to assetto corsa who want to learn the game, please look in here Jul 18, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Learning to drive. Feb 4, 2014
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge 164 – Learning Curves Feb 1, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer EERC GT Endurance Series - What we have learned Nov 25, 2019
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Opinion: Rating system is too punishing while learning a new track Apr 20, 2019
    ACC General Discussions How to best unlearn wrong track "knowledge" Apr 19, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Race line assist is not that helpful to learn a track Oct 12, 2018
    Suggestions Idea for learning a new track/section Dec 17, 2017
    Chit Chat Room The learning curve Dec 7, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Mclearn F1 GTR Slick tyre has no slip angle.....issue? Nov 25, 2017

3. Tberg

Tberg Alien

First situation, fresh from todays F1:

Here's the offical link, with team comments:
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/7/f1-kvyat-sainz-crash-blame-lap-1-british-gp.html

And the yt:

Probably stepping on Kvyat fans, but this is a classic example of being clueless, if you can't see or are unaware of your surroundings. This happens all the time online in Assetto Corsa, even on high skill servers: a driver causing an incident throws the blame elsewhere, before looking at himself.
    Not that Kvyat didn't knew Sainz was there, but apparently he insist that Sainz cut him. The vid clearly shows what did happen.

Watch, learn, discuss.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    deaddreamer and Schnipp like this.
  4. rafikens1000

rafikens1000 Racer

they were fighting and kvyat lost control of the car and that is why they crashed. Clueless was too much agression of Kvyat, overshooting one corner and then coming back with too much acceleration (he lost rear cuz of dirt on his tires). But you are right about blaming others in such cases

Tberg likes this.
  5. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Great idea @Tberg, something similar has been in my mind, I really like how @Schnipp is posting lots of racing situations at SF thread. There are tons identical situations happening irl, and I like to study them.

This is great example of being attacked by overly aggressive driver:

in AC I usually let them go through, usually they go wide or off track later

Another example of drivers not sharing the lines well enough:

Very difficult to judge, but IMO Honda shouldn't have tried to attack so much there, because next curve is double left, and he wouldn't have had much chances to overtake there anyway. But Honda swerved a little bit to the right, perhaps he shouldn't have done that, because he must have known that Honda might try to get in.

Tberg and Schnipp like this.
  6. Jaood

Jaood Racer

7. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

The Honda stuck his nose where it didn't belong just because from his position there was no way he could have attacked into the following left.

The first video though, mhh?!
    The bump is the fault of the car behind of course, but the 2nd part depends on how much space there was on the right side. Enough for the following car?
    If yes, then this guy needs to leave enough space for the other car to stay on track and he pushed the crashed guy off.
    If there wasn't room and the following guy already had to go on the grass as he started to pull alongside then it's the crashed driver's fault.

Right now I can't access my YT videos that I could use for this, so I'll see if I can like 'good' examples later.

Solmyr, mms, Tberg and 1 other person like this.
  8. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I remember one more situation @John Gordon has posted once, he was racing at Zandvoort, bumper to bumper, very close fight. There was somebody stationary at the grid on the racing line, and the guy who drove in front of John avoided that stationary car on the very last moment leaving no chance at all for John to avoid it.

Similar situation happened earlier this year, at Donnington - Formula 4 race to Billy Monger, kid lost his legs.... Can't blame anybody... but I think the moral would be that if something really weird is happening in front then you should slowdown a little, and take safe line as soon as possible, and not the very last moment, just to give people behind you more chances to avoid accident. Thats really specific situation.

Schnipp likes this.
  9. Tberg

Tberg Alien

These 2 vids are actually some of the most difficult situations for both the rookie and the seasoned driver. I'll even go as far as to saying, that such situation happens exactly because of different level of racingskill.
    You could say that the car behind is responsible, but in many cases they're attacking because they think the driver in front naturally will leave space, if they just manage to overlap before that gap closes.
    One of the benefits of being a simracer with thousands of hours in racing, is that you've experienced such situation countless of times, even more than many rl rookie racers. They happen more often in simracing too, as of the nature of being 'just' sim.
    In such situation my responses would be:
    - as the leading car: keep an eye on that car behind and expect him to go for the gap. Always expect 'racers' to go for it. Close that gap or leave room, never leave it up to the other car to deside what happens, unless he manage to significantly overlap and/or pass. If you can see he is faster, beware of closing that gap too late, as we can see in the videos that it can be either car that goes into a spin.
    - as the trailing car: Go for the gap if speed is there, but never expect the other to leave room, so be ready to tap the brake and fall in behind or quickly pass on the opposit side if still gaining. You'll get him next time. It's about claiming your position. Slowly entering overlap zone while the gap is tightening or almost gone, is not claiming your position. That's suicide.

cheers

mms and mantasisg 2 like this.
  10. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

You mean like this? :)

Before you ask, no, I didn't have snap oversteer there, I was going to close my line for a late apex and then noticed in the last moment that HeliCorsa showed overlap with the car behind on my left, so I left him space on the inside.

BTW: This is how I actually use the virtual mirror and HeliCorsa while racing too. Of course I have other apps running, but that is for car infos and admin stuff.
    For spacial awareness I only use the virtual mirror with HeliCorsa positioned over the mirror.

Next video:

The 'classic', a T1 hero or driver who can't judge the braking point in the close pack at race start.
    I always brake early and to have reserves to maneuver, either ease of the brakes if the space is there or otherwise react to what is happening. Watch my braking input towards the turn-in point.

The white 570S though was braking too late and then he pulls to the inside without noticing the car on his right.
    I tried my best to leave space on my left side in the first turns because I was on the right side of the track.
    In T3 then I'm holding my line at the inside curb and the white 570S again fails to notice a driver (in this case me) on his inside and pulls towards the apex.

Another one:
    OK, first contact was clearly my fault, but looking at how far back the white McLaren was he had enough space and time to react to us needing to slow down a bit to regain control of cars, instead he keeps his momentum going which leads to me getting crashed.

Tberg likes this.
  11. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Well, those videos don't really show that you're actually a capable online driver, do they? :p

Joke aside,
    Video 1 is how it's done. The problem most have is driving with single monitor and zero awareness, so it's mandatory to learn to use mirrors or the virtual one, or get something like Helicorsa. I run VR, no virtual mirrors or helicorsa.

Video 2, white mclaren not even a rookie, that's a noob. Though, it should've been obvious to you already at T1, so you could have avoided the T3 crash and watch him fly off track later, no?

Video 3, again a white mclaren that somebody has a hard time controlling. You can see he's sideways in the corner, way too much speed indeed and overdriving.

12. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

Just lol :rolleyes:

I know, I'll post a video that shows me running into the back of somebody and use it as an example of somebody who can't drive because they drove into the back of me.....just lol...

13. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I know your joking, but only the bump to the GT3 RS was my fault or do think differently?

On video 2: I didn't know it was the white 570S again in T3, I just saw that he lost some places and thought he was further back.

@Sleeper Service
    The difference IMO:
    I was certainly too late with my braking point, but from there I couldn't do much more.
    The white McLaren though still had time to a speed not to bump me.
    I didn't slow down excessively there and was already accelerating.

Thanks for your opinion though.

Johnnypenso and mantasisg 2 like this.
  14. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

The 570S driver accused me of deliberately crashing him (sounded like he thought I had a problem with him overtaking me), but he failed to know where my car was and pulled into my car.

mms likes this.
  15. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

OK, found an old video full of examples.

1st: lapped driver in the 911R tried to be nice by slowing down and let fast drive pass, but doing so after Eau Rouge was a bad place to do it and caused a big mess

0:21 chain reaction (initially did the video from frustration because of the number of incidents I couldn't avoid and/or wasn't at fault

0:40 crash on Kemmel, several drivers reacted way to late and crashed into the pile, so react early if you see something happening and don't only look at the car ahead, keep an eye open on everything ahead

0:52 911R crashes the guy ahead and then stops right on apex on the racing line, NEVER DO THAT

1:08 red 570S is slightly faster and wedges himself between the two cars ahead where 2 wide approach to Blanchimont is already risky

1:22 had to slowdown, but the yellow 458 simply was over-aggressive with trying to overtake on the grass there, a bit later at Les Combes the red 911 Turbo slows down on the racing line and causes a mess (he either served a penalty or waited after a bump), anyway, NEVER slow down on the racing line

2:00 T1, risky approach by the yellow 458, orange McLaren pulled too hard to left into Eau Rouge with me on his side

2:55 had to slow down a bit and the red GT-R behind failed to notice early enough, again keep an eye open to what happens (several cars) ahead (the following 911R evasion, well, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not in those situations)

3:46 McLaren pulled off the line to serve a penalty (good thought), bad part was the GT3 RS wanting to slipstream and therefore crashing into the McLaren with a little chain reaction

3:55 white GT3 RS simply unaware (or simply an a-hole) who failed to notice the cars around him or didn't care, going from inside to the outside without hesitation

4:30 well, learn the braking points ... :rolleyes:

Tberg likes this.
  16. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Shizzle, u keep em coming, hard to follow up with comments :D

The interesting parts is the ones where we disagree, so hopefully more will chime in and ask or comment.

About your videos, no I don't think much of it is your fault other than the obvious that you already acknowlegde. I might think that you could possibly have avoided a few incidents, just by foreseeing what was going to happen. Which in itself is a skill, a very good one.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Schnipp, mms and Sleeper Service like this.
  17. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

You're welcome.

18. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Ah, OK. Good point.

Just a few minutes ago:

Although the 370Z lost control, he could have stayed further outside and didn't need to hit the throttle on the grass. In the end it wrecked my race after 30 seconds.
    I had my eye on the car on my left rear since two drivers complained about him after the race before.

Well, I'm now going to join a MR A server. Learned my lesson. :cool:

19. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Good thought, bad execution.

I only saw the Boxster coming back from the gravel so I backed off on entry, but braking on the racing line exiting the turn is a no-go.

20. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Lol, yeah that is being overcareful. It applies too under blue flag, where rookies tend to park the car on track, causing havoc.

mantasisg 2 and Schnipp like this.
  21. chakko

chakko Alien

Kvyat is a real joker. There's only one who's to blame for that, and that's him.