1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

An idea for the penality system

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Patrizio, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

When I did a race in Monza, I noticed a problem in the way of assigning the penalty of "race trim."
    At the output of the "variant of the canal" my car skidded and ended with the wheels on the right side of the roadway and the game has given me the penalty.
    But I think that in this case did not deserve to be punished ... I was already losing time having swerved my car.

I know 'that you know about these things, but ..

It could not be a solution to the "sensitive" areas that are affected by car if you are punished, instead of the history of three or four wheels?

In this sequence you can see my penalty ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...in this point the game have put me 15 second of penalty..
    [​IMG]
    ..and in this possible solution.!

Low penality__ if the walk along over 100 km.
    (Under 100km, no penalty)

__ High penalty if the walk along over 70 km ..
    (below 70 km, no penalty)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Red Bull Ring Ideal Line Bug Jan 30, 2024
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Ideal line and autoblip on server Jul 19, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Any Ideas? Sep 17, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Stream Deck as a Button Box - Ideas Aug 29, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Ideal Racing Line Jul 18, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting "Fatal Error UE4 AC2" Absolutely no idea what i need to do or doing wrong? May 31, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Ghosting players - to manage bad drivers (Idea) Dec 8, 2020
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues "Opponents Visibility" *New Idea* Nov 8, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds The ideal trajectory activates itself Aug 12, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Ideal Line Assist - it changes/updates color to late Jul 19, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Some ideas for the CP Servers Jul 18, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Pre-Race Hud Idea Mar 3, 2020
    ACC Physics Tires resettign to ideal when pressing restart. (Tought it to be an issue - works as designed) Feb 15, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards SA Rating visualization (idea) Jan 12, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Driver Swap - Optimizations for public multiplayer? Any information or ideas? Jan 1, 2020

3. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Hm... The idea to be able to set different penalties for different Areas/Zones is not bad at all.
    It would give a track dev more finetuning options for the track layout and rules for this particular track or sensible zones.
    Track makers and drivers would like to have it I think.
    You have thought about your idea for more than just a second, I appreciate, but its also ok what we have currently and it will not change in the near or mid future I guess.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  4. Horus

Horus Alien

Do not go off track. How many threads must be made about this? Did you use the search function, if you did you would see this and many other ideas have been put forth. Personally I would prefer Kunos focus on real issues not those caused by the driver themselves. Nobody made you go off track just your mistake. So drive more carefully and then you do not get a penalty. There are a few systems being created at the moment by very clever boffins like Minolin rating, that will have many features in time and as such have taken the batton from Kunos and will become more and more useful as time goes by. Till these systems are working it would be best to try to stick to the track, if you are making mistakes and running off track then you will be penalised and that is how it should be. It must be months since I had a penalty and it is not because I drive slow, but I drive within the track limits.

I like your idea but we have what we have, maybe MR will help in the future, maybe not. :)

Mogster and LeDude83 like this.
  5. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

.... definitely is necessary to make sure that there are no penalty after entry into the curve.

Vítor Sousa likes this.
  6. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

Yes Horus... right! The primary solution is driving well...

Vítor Sousa likes this.
  7. Horus

Horus Alien

Well you know you get a penalty for going over that section of 'Off track' furniture so do not do it again. It's like sticking your hand in boiling water, you do not check twice if it hurts, once you have seen it hurts you avoid doing it again. So the penalty system has worked as it is telling you not to do it again. I hate penalty systems altogether as an AI steward will never be able to understand all the variables a race can throw up. So the blunt force penalty works to stop you doing it again, it's when you get a penalty from being pushed off track, and as such not your fault, that really does rile anyone.

nonnex likes this.
  8. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

i thought that the different penalty depending on area of track was already possible, open up surfaces.ini and im sure there's some parameter associated with the penalties that can be tweaked to say how severe a penalty to give. if im not wrong, then i think the situation could indeed be improved by having the track modeller split up the relevant sections of the track into individual surfaces that can then be fine tuned in the ini file. i think they did do this to some extent but probably can be improved.

or im imagining all of the above in which case ignore my post, havent looked at the stuff for a while

Horus, LeDude83 and nonnex like this.
  9. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

right ears1991!! As for the sand!

might be zones of slowing

10. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

...but it's not simulative! it's not realistic.
    Maybe it would be better to remove the penalty if the pilots were correct.

11. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Yeah...how else would you realize 5 and 10 seconds penalties ;-)

12. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Ah all fine then. Idea is already implemented. That was pretty fast, thank you kunos. ;)

LeDude83 likes this.
  13. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

is it though? (not at my pc to check) if so we could surely push to get some additional work done to create more/improve the "zones"

14. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

a possibility could be to make the penalty inversely proportional to the speed crossing of sensitive areas ...

What do you think?
    [​IMG]

15. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

dev has already said system wont change, so all we can do is suggest tweaks as suggested above really (assuming my understanding of the system is correct)

16. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Maybe you want to have a look at the link named "cutters" in my sig. This is the result of a looong discussion and thinking quite some months (or even a year?) ago. It's also worth following the links that point to the same discussions, they are worth it.
    Cutters does kind of utilize your zone/speed idea in order to seperate offensive cuts from accidents. After all not a really bad thing, but of course it's not perfect as well. In particular using the velocity without any context isn't that bright; Corner X with a Mito isn't really comparable to corner Y with an exos s1.
    And ofc you have maintanence effort for every track/cuttable corner, but this is pretty much the same now.

After all the discussions always have a pattern (no offense, just exaggeration):

1) OP: Uh, there's an aspect in the current implementation that I don't like
    2) OP: This is my idea how it should be, so 1) is solved
    3) Dev: But 2) has a weakness in X and Y
    4) OP: Right, so add 5) and 6)
    7) Dev: But 5 and 6 have huge problems and basically only solve 1)
    8) Ignore
    9) Repeat

Usually I really like the exchange of thoughts around topics like this, actually I enjoy that kind of thinking very much. But too often we see a focus on isolated details, and proposed solutions don't respect the whole situation.
    A model like the penalty system will always be a tradeoff between a lot elements, where you optimize on not having a *really* bad one (contrary to having 9/10 good parameters on the cost of 1 incredibly bad and exploitable element).

Glaurung and Horus like this.
  17. Horus

Horus Alien

A penalty system that gives you a penalty for going outside of the track limits should work. Oh! we have that already, job done.

Don't get me wrong I like the ideas and the thought processes that go into thinking up new ideas on how to penalize people for cutting/wrong doing, but in real terms they all fail because of those random moments when it could be the only option open to the driver at that time. So no penalty system works unless it is a human reviewing what has happened as computers will only work on the DATA they have been programmed to work with and do not see variables outside of their programming. Take a look at the Singapore race incident with Hulkenberg on track and Massa coming out of pits. I automatically saw Massa in the wrong yet the stewards having all the DATA available to them see that it was Hulkenbergs mistake and he gets the penalty. I still do not think he was in the wrong, but hey that is the miracle of the human bio-processor.

edit:
    Just in case you have not seen it. I still think anyone coming out of the pits has to give way to those on track, but hey as is life.

18. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

Sure .. My idea is just an idea! I'm not an engineer.
    I know that the argument "penalty" is hot, and that is cause for discussion for years.
    I am also convinced that the team "Kunos" have the ability to solve these things.

Honestly, I have to confess that i created this thread only to vent anger having missed control of the car and having taken a 15 seconds of penalty.

I am hoping that my little tip is useful to programmers.

Bye !

Horus and Minolin like this.
  19. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I have problems with that corner in general, easy to get pushed out during early crowded laps and I don't know the specific control inputs necessary not to get a penalty (throttle lift until you're 4 wheels in the track, maybe?). Even if you stop entirely and start again, sometimes there's a 15 second penalty when you re-enter the track.

I think the method implied by iRacing's slowdown penalties makes most sense, which is described as "give back the time you gained" - the trick is calculating how much that is, you need a reference split time which in turn needs a clean (no out of bounds) fast lap to have already happened. In practice they just overestimate a lot and of course have a fixed set of available cars + tracks, it's only better than AC's in that if you experience a loss in control leading to off-track, you don't seem to get that penalty also.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Minolin likes this.
  20. Horus

Horus Alien

Now this is not meant to be a flame or trolling exercise, but if you know you are going to have a problem at that corner why not make a special effort not to be there? If you know there is going to be a problem at that corner use it to your advantage, stay on the inside, or just make your way through that set of corners slower for the first lap and pick off those that end up taking the penalty. Just a thought. :)

LeDude83 likes this.
  21. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Yeah we are united regarding the proper driving, but thats not the topic.
    Some thoughts and contibutions here are a bit different and more constructive then the other common mimimi ones.