1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

An idea for the penality system

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Patrizio, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Corners like that are the ones that make people complain about the penalty system. If I notice a situation leading to an unnecessary penalty I'll mention it in a thread about the penalty system since I know Kunos has a better time finding bugs when the reports are very specific. (for example the low speed clutch got fixed cause of mentioning it in the stream + being specific enough Stefano could see something going wrong, ie. "drive the F40 at 50km/h and lightly press in the clutch, rpms start to wobble weirdly even on 1-2% clutch travel")

nonnex likes this.
  2. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

...exactly! ... But then it is sufficient to have the server without penalty !!:)

3. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

There could be a penalty coefficient for each car.

Auto slow, low coefficient.
    Fast car, high cefficiente.

Or, the travel time of sensitive areas can be compared with the power of the car!

4. mark3

mark3 Gamer

Sometimes you get pushed into the sand by someone behind you, this will result in a penalty, and the ability to not recovery quickly (because it's sand), which is like a double penalty...
    The penalty system should only be applied when there is time gain by cutting the track.

Loren Thomas and YardStick like this.
  5. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Racer

not always the case. it's pretty easy to get pushed off the track. Also, if you are pushing hard, mistakes will happen.

6. Horus

Horus Alien

If you are pushing hard and making mistakes, slow down and don't. :)

martcerv likes this.
  7. APC900

APC900 Simracer

As much as I love AC, this is the one issue I dislike.
    I had an epic battle ruined a few days back while leading, simply because I had to go slightly off track to avoid contact with a back-marker who'd spun and was sitting on the racing line.
    I was first on scene with a hard chasing opponent directly on my tail.
    We'd been in a hard, very close fights up to that point...swapping positions for better than five laps.
    All I could do was watched the penalty seconds tick down, (since I had to go down to almost zero mph to clear the penalty)...for what seemed like an eternity.
    It ruined the racing, since the guy I'd been 'battling' with simply drove away... never to be seen again.
    It was a bitter pill to swallow.
    It needs fixing...since it doesn't happen in the real world without at least two warnings.

Loren Thomas and osy1950 like this.
  8. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

Nothing to fix there. You can't design an automated system which will be fair. Two warning you say? OK, people will take that as 2 free cuts of Monza T1. Just try to stay in track bounds and you'll be fine.
    In your case your opponent somehow managed to get through it without getting himself a penalty even though he was behind and must have had his view obstructed by your car. So he made a good decision and you didn't and lost, that's OK it's a part of racing. Better luck next time

Horus likes this.
  9. APC900

APC900 Simracer

He had the benefit of time in seeing me 'chuck' up and swing wide.
    I did not.
    This isn't about bad decisions.
    It's about a bad system coupled with unfortunate circumstances.

10. I think in paul Ricard there is such penalty like areas, maybe not on original tracks

Sent using Tapatalk

11. Patrizio

Patrizio Gamer

I think can be enough one single line of penalty...
    in this mode is more simple, i believe!

But i'm sure the Kunos Team will find the solution.

Attached Files:

mark3 likes this.
  12. martcerv

martcerv Alien

It can be improved but still overall I think the AC cut detection is way too soft, for example at Spa you can run sooooooo wide and not get a penalty everywhere. I really cant see how you could possibly get one at that track unless you are spinning off the track. That's how soft it is, using the PLP app is much stricter and I will get called on cuts but have yet to get any on the track at Spa. This is common with nearly all official tracks so people complaining about the penalty should just learn to stay on the track a bit better. Ideally Id like the current Kunos system for big cuts giving an instant penalty then have a version of PLP built into the game giving warning then a drive through or time penalty in the race. I really don't think the kunos system needs any softening, sure you may get a huge penalty for going off at times but you still did go off and had you stayed on track there wouldn't have been an issue. ;)

demetri and LeDude83 like this.
  13. APC900

APC900 Simracer

I suggested this once before.
    I'll pose it again....
    How about penalties tied to braking inputs...or at least attempts at braking prior to going off track.
    The software is capable of monitoring analog and digital inputs.
    There should be no restrictions to hinder developers from using that data to determine if a driver deliberately powered through to cut a corner.
    It could work like this:
    Corner approach with no braking input before exceeding track limits= 4 sec penalty.
    Corner approach...brake input before exceeding track limits= no penalty.
    Since the objective is to remove people gaining an unfair distance advantage, the attempt at braking will accomplish that by slowing them down.
    If they 'power' through a corner, the 4 second penalty will negate any gains.
    Either way, the situation would be covered without 'killing' outright racing.
    As to track rejoin.... any angle more than 90 degrees to track direction= immediate disqualification (that one will get rid of those guys who like to drive reverse and ram people off track).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    Loren Thomas likes this.
  14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Correct @martcerv, the penalty rule in general is hard but the system needs maintenance. E.g. 10 seconds in last section of Barcelona GP is absolte BS and also dangerous. Then again at Spa or through Aqua Minerale at Imola you can go way over the lines with the whole car and gain a lot of time. There should be consistency.

YardStick likes this.
  15. YardStick

YardStick Gamer

Penalties are there to make bad drivers waste their time, so the good drivers can drive in peace. I get it. And in every sim I've played the automated penalty system is some what unfair in some situations, but as long as the rules are same for all.

I also get it's frustrating to get a 10 sec slow down because you tried to avoid a collision when the guy in front of you made a mistake.

I don't think that improves anything. Maybe the other way round? How you return to the track after the cut is detected. Maybe even measure the delta for it..
    Accelerating and/or gained time = penalty, decelerating and/or lost time = no penalty..​

Getting the penalty in last chicane, right before the finish line, and having to stomp on brakes "to serve the penalty before the lap ends" is just outright dumb. It doesn't matter why you got the penalty, but a safer option would be to give i.e. 2 minutes to serve it, rather than during the current lap. Or if the penalty was given on the last sector, maybe extend the time till the next laps end, so you can at least pick a safe spot to slow down.

16. APC900

APC900 Simracer

What the heck are they ultimately trying to achieve with the penalty system?
    I thought it was to make racing fair, keep the cheats 'honest' and keep the guys who encounter off-track incidences in a position to pay a small 'cost' then get back to enjoying the competition.
    It's not competition when you watch the guy you were racing 'sail' off down the road and you sit there with a 'dead' pedal for 10+ seconds for going off.
    You can't ***** at the sim for small oversights in other areas and yet overlook a glaring one such as this.
    It's either as it happens in life... or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

17. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

In real life they have race stewards observing the race and making decisions. You don't have them in sims and there's no AI capable of replacing them. Work on improving your driving skills and awareness and AC penalties won't be an issue for you. The system is not perfect, but it is good enough to deter blatant cutters and allow fair racing without a human supervision

YardStick and LeDude83 like this.
  18. YardStick

YardStick Gamer

You are absolutely right. But it doesn't mean this penalty system couldn't be improved, does it? ;)

19. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The guy ahead then must have stayed on the track, yes at times it may be a bit harsh but drive on a street circuit and penalty for off track is mostly end of race.

I think best still would be a mix of warnings for minor breaches with warning leading to a drive through and major breaches get either the current penalty or drive through chosen by the server.

If you do your best to stick to track limits then neither penalty system will be an issue. The current method has definatly helped over the 1st kunos penalty where people could straight cut chicanes, get a penalty and still get an advantage.

The current method works ok at most tracks but too soft on some. For the most part it keeps racing fairer by having track limits people actualy try to stick to, so your not racing guys that abuse it as much as possible. Sure there is the odd guy that gets the rough deal for an error but if he drove more in control he wouldnt have gone off. In a large field someone driving all over the place and re entering the track unsafely is quite a hazard to everyone else so if the there is a too harsh penalty for this. Those guys will either need to change their style or cop the regular penalties.

I would like the system to be improved but who knows if it really will be, its functional to a point now and is better then no penalty. Servers can enforce if its 1, 2 or 3 tyres allowed out so at 3 tyres if you cop the penalty you must be very wide. ;)

20. APC900

APC900 Simracer

As I stated earlier....
    I was the guy in front... right up to the point I had the back-marker spin in front... block the entire track dictating the swerve to avoid hitting and taking him and myself out of the race.
    The guy I was racing 'hard' at the time had time to slow... due to the fact that when the spin happened he was about five car-lengths back.
    He had quite a bit more time to stop as the spinner had 'escaped' by then.
    I've offered a solution that quite 'do-able'... the outcome of which, would achieve what a penalty system is suppose to do...stop cheating by gaining time yet preserve racing.
    They're no negatives to it.
    As it stands now, it's broken and kills true racing.
    When was the last time you attended a real racing event and saw a driver penalized (without warning for putting a wheel over the track limit while avoiding an accident or spin) blocking the racing surface?
    I've never seen it...sure you haven't seen it either...as it doesn't happen.
    We are either true to simulation in the major aspects...or we're not.

osy1950 likes this.