1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa's shadows and AA on an AMD card (470)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by liakjim, Nov 18, 2016.

1. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Hi,
    I recently upgraded my GPU from a Nvidia 660GTX to an AMD 470.
    Because it is my 1st AMD card i had to negotiate with the never ending quest to kill these polygons and especially regarding this game, these awful shadows.
    AMD's driver (Crimson) has a million settings with strange names (AAeQ) so i decided to perform a test.
    I did all combinations (well most of them) and see the performance and also the result.

AMD's driver is looking like this :
    [​IMG]

The installed games are there as profiles. You can choose a game, change a setting and then launch the game from the profile game to see the results.

So let's see what tests i did.

The game is vanilla, default filter and the settings are these :

FULLSCREEN: ON
    AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:4096 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:5
    PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:5 DOF:5 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

Reflections like these

[​IMG]

Track was Nordslhleife at 0900 and a KTM Xbow.

Each time i had different AA settings , either from game or AMD.

The settings are us follows :

[​IMG]

Ok some info :

None = off

AA = from game settings
    FXAA = from game settings
    SWEETFX SMAA = enable SMAA from sweetfx
    AAX8 ini = enable AASAMPLES=8 inside video.ini
    All AMD settings are from profiler, when using override i had AA=OFF in game, when Enhance, i had AAX4 in game.
    VSR= Virtual Super Resolution, method of using more res and then downsample to screen. (like Nvidia's DSR).

My screen is a 1080p TV.

For each setting a took a picture with MSI Afterburned to show fps and then 2 crops.

FPS results :

[​IMG]

So, i saw the the AMD settings have some kind of bug. They all look the same and all same fps.
    They did work, because i had AA=OFF in game for override , but the look the same.
    The same with Ehanced.
    SWEETFX and FXAA, are taking a big fps hit but with minimal improvement.
    Morphological effect, is the same like FXAA but with better FPS.

If i had to choose is the VSR method. The 470 was unable to be smooth at 2160p but was smooth at 1440p AAX4 and with better quality than AAX8 through ini.
    Game's AAX4 is descent.

Below are the pictures.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room What is the "acServer" file in Assetto Corsa's "server" directory Dec 8, 2017
    XBox One Discussions Assetto Corsa's Savings Oct 5, 2017
    Suggestions Assetto corsa's problems (imo) Oct 24, 2015
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.10.2 hotfix update OUT NOW! Yesterday at 2:09 PM
    Online Leagues / Championships room Australian Assetto Corsa league - XGN Tuesdays and Thursdays Yesterday at 4:30 AM
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa Evo Modding Support? Apr 4, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.10.1 hotfix update OUT NOW! Apr 4, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.10.0 update and Nürburgring 24hr DLC are OUT NOW! Apr 3, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Assetto corsa 2 Mar 26, 2024
    Console Lounge How to share clips to Assetto Corsa club Mar 17, 2024
    ACC General Discussions An official Assetto Corsa discord server please. (iracing, raceroom, and gt7 has one) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Assetto corsa competizione ps5 Mugello best track Mar 14, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Competizione UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close. Feb 25, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa 2 Silence Feb 22, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Moving Game Files from One Drive to C:\Users\Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione Feb 19, 2024

3. liakjim

liakjim Alien

4. liakjim

liakjim Alien

5. liakjim

liakjim Alien

6. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Some of the pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. haxxx

haxxx Simracer

As far as i can tell, modifying settings from individual games profiles is bugged since forever even for me. The only way i made settings work properly is using the general tab that applies effects to every game you will launch, so a bit problematic. My advice is to avoid AA as much as possible especially supersampling that is really heavy and eats a lot of resources. Instead use VSR and play in 1440p with 4xaa only(no fxaa) from the game. Shame VSR is not supported on my 21:9 screen, i would like to play with better resolution because AC suffer of bad aliasing even at my 2560x1080+ 4xaa and since i have also DOF off, it makes things look even worse

8. Yami

Yami Racer

I have 280x with 4690k
    1080p 2x AA Mirror Res Normal, Mirror HighRef - off, Smoke Normal, Shadow High, Reflec Quality Normal

Everything else maxed out I never go below 60FPS in any situation.
    when I go 4X on AA or High on shadow or High on Ref Quality, I get 50FPS when it is Overcast, otherwise 60 again.
    hope this helps too lazy to read topic.

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  9. In my opinion, AA is a general weak point in Assetto. I use an NVIDIA card and I never managed to get a decent AA setting with acceptable performance. The game's builtin settings are no good at all for removing aliasing effects.

10. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Have you tried if it get any better with DSR?

11. I did try that and most of the other suggestions from various threads here in the forum. DSR had some positive effect on aliasing, but artefacts were still very present especially on the barriers. Regarding quality, the sparse grid supersampling (or similar) did the best job, but it eats up a lot of gpu time.

12. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Too bad there is none such setting to AMD cards.

Can you post a similar screenshot like mine with this on? You know the place/hour. Also crop like mine. Thanks

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

13. Torcano

Torcano Alien

As far as shadows goes all I can say is nope, nothing you do will fix them and they will look as bad as ever as long as you are in cockpit view. That's pretty much how AC works, and the only place currently where shadows look like they are actually supposed to i.e. sharp and not blocky and patchy is in the F5 cam mode.

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  14. Caylayron

Caylayron Rookie

Using enhance application settings + adaptive multisampling works well if applied on the general profile.
    Combined with vsr it almost totally removes aliasing.
    Using assetto profile doesn't work.

15. @liakjim how will you compare ati/nvidia image quality?

16. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I can't . I sold my nvidia card.
    I hoped that someone will post similar photos, that's why i mentioned exact settings.

17. pavano

pavano Simracer

thanks liakjim for your testing!
    VSR really does look nicer, the performance hit is noticeable, though. At least on my i2500k system it seems to be partly due to the processor, which has to run near 100%.

liakjim likes this.
  18. Stains

Stains Simracer

All this time later and still the same :(
    I guess this is something that doesn't bother or affect Kunos , probably they have powerhouse PC's and play at DSR 8k down to 4k with sparse grid x8 ,lol